Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking input from realtors why only one or zero pictures on internet listings, bait and switch, terrible looking house, bad real estate agent

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:09 PM

207 posts, read 704,859 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So, I am researching both the NOVA & Rockville, MD areas as a place to possibly relocate. If we move this will be the 3rd house we have bought in 4.5 years.

Anyway, as I browse through the realtor.com listings I have noticed in both the NOVA & suburban MD areas half of the listings I look at have either only 1 picture or no pictures at all.

I am completely baffled as I imagine the dc & surrounding area to be quite transient. Therefore, lots of pics would be needed as potential buyers in other states or even countries) are not able to do drive bys or go to the open houses.

Now to be fair, I must admit that there are a small portion of listings that I have found with virtual tours that show everything. I saw one listing in Derwood, MD like that and it was great as it even showed pics of the nearby metro, daycare and parks. I was able to see that the house had nice wooden floors, granite counter tops and it was on a tree lined street. Now that house is saved as one of my favorites.
There was also another house that I saw and from the initial picture of it taken on the outside it looked horrible. However, I also saved that house as one of my favorites as the additional pictures showed the inside of a beautiful house with a lovely foyer and awesome crown moldings.

However, those listing are rare. As, there are many others that I read with some interesting features, only to find there are no pictures. Or there is only 1 picture of the outside of the house & it is shot from so far away you can't really tell anything about the house. I wondered if it means that the houses must look so bad inside that the realtor does not want anyone to see it online. I also wondered if maybe the realtor did not want to spend too much money to advertise the house because they did not think the house was going to sale. Of course, this may just be a lot of speculation, but that's what happens (or at least what I assume) when there are no pics.

I would love any info from realtors regarding why this is done. I know if I was selling a house and there were no pics ...I would be livid as I would think that taking pictures and attaching them to the listing would be the very least of the marketing effort. Again, I want to give this issue the benefit of the doubt so I would love any feedback. Or, hopefully realtors will consider that my little issue may also be the issue of other potential buyers and add a few more pictures so we can see what's out there.

Thank you and my apologies in advance for the long length.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 01:10 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,562 times
Its called bait and switch. Take a pictue from 2 miles away of homes so you can't see the details and discover what a piece of crap the house, neighborhood. They want you to show up so you can be sold and defeat all your objections right on the spot......

Old 09-08-2007, 11:29 AM

297 posts, read 1,273,530 times
Whenever I see a house listing with just one or two outside pictures, I automatically assume that the house is the pits inside. I love (ok, sarcasm here) those listings with 3 pictures of the outside and an inside picture of 1 bathroom!!! You know the rest of the house is horrible!! I seriously wonder if realtors realize that by not posting pictures of the inside of the house they are seriously limiting the number of people who will look at it.

Pennylove76...instead of Realtor.com (which is not updated as frequently) you may want to look at listings on HomesDatabase. I think that site is updated at least daily, possibly even more frequently.

Last edited by Gabrielle; 09-08-2007 at 12:18 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 AM

Gabrielle, I completely agree. I can't understand how the seller stands for it. I know if I do move, prior to putting my house up for sale, my realtor and I will have to be on the same page with regard to the pictures.

BTW, for all you sellers in this area trying to sell your house, if your realtor does not put pictures of it online then I & many people like me will not even consider the house. It's a shame because even if it is outdated and not the best inside, maybe I will see something that makes me more interested in it. For example, the house can be old and dated, but if I see hardwood floors under the bad furniture, I might still be interested. Or, the walls may be the worst color in the world, but I might still be interested if I see that there crown moldings and wanescoating, etc. However, with zero or only 1 pic of the outside, I just skip to the next listing. I guess I assume that the realtor is trying to do as Zippy7fo mention "bait & switch".

Old 09-08-2007, 11:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Pictures cost money, that's why. Most online listing services have a "basic" package, and then more expensive packages that allow more pictures (or any at all) become more expensive.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:00 PM

143 posts, read 871,177 times
Default pictures

in all fairness, if i get a new listing, there aren't going to be many pictures uploaded until paperwork and other things get completed....and if the sellers are currently packing/ renovating/ just needs to stage things up a bit... i have to wait and take pictures after things are settled.

just keep this in mind for the newer listings...

Old 09-08-2007, 12:23 PM

297 posts, read 1,273,530 times
Christina,

If a listing appears on MLS I (as a potential buyer) assume that the house is ready to be looked at immediately. So if the sellers need to stage things or renovate, they should have thought about that before they listed their house. If I don't see the inside pictures I will pass on that property. Besides, not every website allows you to see "new listings" so it's not always possible to tell what listing is new and what has been on the market for a while - so I wouldn't even be able to keep your conditions in mind for newer listings.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:17 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,110 times
The more pictures you add the more money it costs. MLS allows agents to upload photos for a fee. There is a fee for 6 photos and a fee for 20 photos. While the price is reasonable it adds up if you have several listings. The picture of the front of the house is provided by MLS for free or the agent can upload one photo without charge. Then you have other companies that provide slide shows and music. Those services do not come cheap.

Some people don't ignore a property simply because there are no photos. One agent I know just had a contract submitted on a new listing with no photo availible.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:00 PM

liliblu,
I must respectfully disagree with you. Don't get me wrong, I know anything is possible. However, I would ague that a picture is worth a thousand words and pictures are needed to sell a house. Furthermore, I know I am speaking from an outsider's perspective, but it is my understanding that the MD & Nova areas are having a hard time selling houses....As a person who is looking to buy a house in that area, I can tell you right now that I am skipping over houses that do not have pictures.

For the sellers let me repeat that, if your realtor does not post any or only one picture, I (along with many other potential buyers) are not even giving your house a chance.

Now I understand that there may be a cost to take pictures and put them on the website. However, as the saying goes..."you have to spend money to make money". If I see that you did not want to spend the money for the pictures then it tells me you do not think you are going to make money anyway as the house is not worth even bothering to take pics.

As for the pics not being taken until the paperwork is completed, why even list it. Ok, go ahead and list it but know that you will be cutting off your out of state and maybe even international market.

Also, if it does not cost money until you have added 6 pics, then why not only add 5. I don't need a whole virtual show, I just need to see what the house looks like. Heck, I get more pics of a $20 item I am buying off of e-bay than from a HALF A MILLION or more house.....Let me repeat that a HALF A MILLION Dollars or more house with no pics...And then they wonder why the house is on the market for a year.

Again, if the sellers are willing to put up with that then I guess it will continue. However, if I was a seller (and I may be soon) I will not use a realtor that is not doing everything in her power to sell my house, which would at the very least posting multiple pics.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:07 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
I'm not in the real estate business at all, but I have been noticing a trend where the pictures are showing up on the agent's website, but not the sites like realtor.com. For example, my neighbor' house is for sale and her house really is beautiful inside--it has a cottage theme and I just love it. Anyway, the agent has a ton of pictures, but they are on her website along with pictures of all the other houses she represents. They are not on realtor.com. So maybe you need to look at the listing agent's website?

In my neighborhood, I've also seen a trend where houses are getting their own websites. As in 123cherrytreelane.com ----not sure what's going on, but it appears agents are listing the basics on the mls sites and then putting the other info on their own websites.

Quote:
I also wondered if maybe the realtor did not want to spend too much money to advertise the house because they did not think the house was going to sale
From what I understand, sales have slowed and the realtors don't have the upfront cash (b/c they don't get paid until after a house sales) to pay for the advertising fees for all of the listings they have. In fact, some agents in my area are refusing listings until they sell something they already have listed. In my area, I've seen some beautiful homes that only have a sign in the yard. I've seen other houses sell at what I still think are too high of a price b/c of aggressive marketing on the part of the agent. Not to mention the FSBOs or helpusell houses that I've seen that are beautiful and seem fairly priced.

Honestly, if I were buying now I'd probably start at greatschools.net or find the best schools in my area and backtrack from there, finding houses in those neighborhoods (to protect my investment: houses in the best school districts have been holding steady)

Just my completely unscientific observations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: