U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 10,164 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are relocating to Maryland from NY. He will be working in Columbia and I will be in Crofton. Can anyone give us advice on which areas are safe places to live that would be no more than 20 minutes away from each Columbia and Crofton?

I noticed that Severn and Laurel are somewhat in the middle, but I haven't heard great things about either. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 PM

309 posts, read 630,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meepster View Post
My boyfriend and I are relocating to Maryland from NY. He will be working in Columbia and I will be in Crofton. Can anyone give us advice on which areas are safe places to live that would be no more than 20 minutes away from each Columbia and Crofton?

I noticed that Severn and Laurel are somewhat in the middle, but I haven't heard great things about either. Any suggestions? Thanks!
What did you hear about Severn? Look into Hanover.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:13 AM

77 posts, read 265,627 times
Do you work for Wegmans?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 10,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonJeep View Post
Do you work for Wegmans?

Yes I do! I'm taking a trip down there next week for an interview and am having a real hard time figuring out where to look. I'm still leaning towards living in Crofton, but I guess I really won't know until I look.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 AM

77 posts, read 265,627 times
I thought so since most people wouldn't mention Columbia and Crofton in the same sentence. I work for Wegmans too. I moved from the Buffalo area (my family is from around Rochester) down here to Maryland about a year ago to open the Frederick store. One thing is for sure, the housing prices are A LOT higher than back in Rochester! Even though Columbia and Crofton are only about 25 miles apart it can take more than a half hour to get between the two, especially with traffic and with Fort Meade along the way it adds a lot more traffic at all times of the day. I would say looking in between in Jessup or Laurel would be a good in between. The area is very nice. Both stores should be very busy. Let me know if you have any other questions (especially about changing over cars or other things from NY to MD). You can also PM me if you want to talk more detailed Wegmans stuff. Hope it all goes well!

PS- Doing your Taxes for NY and MD in one year stinks, just an FYI.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:37 AM

12 posts, read 71,448 times
Columbia and Crofton are quite different, but both are nice communities to live, with excellent schools, and they're not so far apart that you can't commute from one to the other. Odenton and Ellicott City are other places you may want to check out. Not much in between, but that may be what you're looking for. A local real estate agent knows the entire area you're asking about and will save you time by pointing out the areas that best match your wish list.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,940,041 times
I would suggest Odenton too. Even though your boyfriend would have the longest commute, Crofton would be a good option as well.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:24 PM

208 posts, read 371,786 times
I live in Millersville right off 97. I used to work in Columbia and work out in Crofton. The 2 are pretty far apart but I have found Millersville to be a very pleasant mid point.
BTW so excited about Wegmans, I go to Whole Foods a couple of times a week but this will be much closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or