U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think gay marriage will stay in Maryland?
Yes 34 61.82%
No 13 23.64%
Yes after the court overturns the referendum if passed in Nov. 2012 9 16.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,040,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Black religious extremists, as you put it, is really not the only ones that is against gay marriage. Homosexuality is taboo in the black community in general. You will people who have never stepped foot in a church that will make sure that law doesn't pass. That thinking is more cultural than religious.
True, true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 10:19 PM

102 posts, read 252,424 times
DE, MD, and D.C. are in the South, according to the U.S. Bureau. They may be southern regionally, but they are not southern culturally.

Maryland is an overwhelming moderate to liberal state with conservative rural parts; however, rural parts aren't densely populated.

I don't think religion is the main factor of the opposition to gay marriage; it can be culture, especially among Hispanics and African-Americans.

I just hope it will stay legalized despite all odds.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 20,735,970 times
I'd be curious to see how many gay marriages will actually happen in Maryland though.

For some reason, I've never seen figures on this in the U.S.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 AM

553 posts, read 1,539,570 times
I am sure this will get a vile response, but here it goes. If you're gay, it is criminal that in 2012 you are treated differently if you want to commit your life to someone you love. You should be able to enjoy all the perks, benefits, and pains of being a legally married couple.

Yet, I do not want this law to stand. I believe any human should have equal rights under the law, but this whole debate has been framed the wrong way and still continues to be.

Most people, like me, believe it's your business to do what you want, with whom you want, where you want, so long as it does not impede on the liberty and freedoms of others. But I do not like lumping together equal treatment under law to an old human institution which has a biological purpose to continue future generations of our species.

It's not a matter of whether people will be allowed to marry dogs if these bill passes, but now will men who raise children because their spouse works demand to be treated as 'mothers' and be entitled to maternity leave? And so on and so on.

Marriage is for bringing together a man and a woman so they can make babies. If you're gay and want children, that's great. Too many kids grow up in terrible environments. I fully support being gay and adopting children to give them a better future.

But unless there's something for which I'm aware, 2 humans of the same gender cannot create a child with each other, and for that reason, leave marriage IN NAME for those who can.

For this reason, I think the politicians have stirred up their bases in the wrong way - for Republicans, making it about a threat from a group which Republicans tend to hate. And for Democrats, they're trying to compare it to racial segregation. It's more comparable to women not being allowed to vote.

/end rant

Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 PM

24 posts, read 59,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymost View Post
I am sure this will get a vile response, but here it goes. If you're gay, it is criminal that in 2012 you are treated differently if you want to commit your life to someone you love. You should be able to enjoy all the perks, benefits, and pains of being a legally married couple.

Yet, I do not want this law to stand. I believe any human should have equal rights under the law, but this whole debate has been framed the wrong way and still continues to be.

Most people, like me, believe it's your business to do what you want, with whom you want, where you want, so long as it does not impede on the liberty and freedoms of others. But I do not like lumping together equal treatment under law to an old human institution which has a biological purpose to continue future generations of our species.

It's not a matter of whether people will be allowed to marry dogs if these bill passes, but now will men who raise children because their spouse works demand to be treated as 'mothers' and be entitled to maternity leave? And so on and so on.

Marriage is for bringing together a man and a woman so they can make babies. If you're gay and want children, that's great. Too many kids grow up in terrible environments. I fully support being gay and adopting children to give them a better future.

But unless there's something for which I'm aware, 2 humans of the same gender cannot create a child with each other, and for that reason, leave marriage IN NAME for those who can.

For this reason, I think the politicians have stirred up their bases in the wrong way - for Republicans, making it about a threat from a group which Republicans tend to hate. And for Democrats, they're trying to compare it to racial segregation. It's more comparable to women not being allowed to vote.

/end rant
What about infertile couples? elderly couples? or a man and a woman who just simply don't want children? Should they also be be banned from marriage if the sole purpose of marriage is to have children? Maybe during weddings a couple should sign a contract that state they MUST have children within, say, 5 years and if they don't have a biological child between them by then (and those who do will be verified by a mandatory DNA test) their marriage will be deemed void. That would be fair, right?

Last edited by Plutonium; 03-07-2012 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 PM

553 posts, read 1,539,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonium View Post
What about infertile couples? elderly couples? or a man and a woman who just simply don't want children? Should they also be be banned from marriage if the sole purpose of marriage is to have children? Maybe during weddings a couple should sign a contract that state they MUST have children within, say, 5 years and if they don't have a biological child between them by then (and those who do will be verified by a mandatory DNA test) their marriage will be deemed void. That would be fair, right?
You are describing fringe benefits. The fact is, marriage is an institution with a clear history and purpose. People need to procreate. If you fit the standard, you're grandfathered in. With any institution, there are always exceptions, provided they fit the standard.

You also conveniently ignored the rest of what I posted, where I specifically state I think gay people should be conferred all the good and bad that comes with a legally recognized man-woman marriage.

Let me show you how your logic is flawed.

By your thinking, if my eyes are almond shaped but both my parents are Caucasian I should be allowed to consider myself Asian?

By your thinking, any standard or definition which is not inclusive of the entire population should be abolished?

By your thinking, if I quit my job to stay at home full time to raise my kids, then I can be considered a mother?

By your logic, handicapped people shouldn't be given the best parking spots in public spaces, because gosh darn it they're equal to everyone else? It's not fair that we single this group out for being different, and it's not fair we give special rights to one group at the expense of all others?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 AM

53 posts, read 92,871 times
I dont like it at all

Old 03-16-2012, 04:32 AM

9,304 posts, read 6,822,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcountryboy View Post
I dont like it at all
Let me guess why - your religious beliefs.

My view is if gays are not allowed full marriage rights then marriage should be abolished.

FWIW, I'm straight.

The hate groups will be in force so I think this will be on the ballot come November. Whether it stays or not depends on who shows up to vote.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 AM

10,136 posts, read 12,004,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Let me guess why - your religious beliefs.

My view is if gays are not allowed full marriage rights then marriage should be abolished.

FWIW, I'm straight.

The hate groups will be in force so I think this will be on the ballot come November. Whether it stays or not depends on who shows up to vote.
Maybe there are just some people who don't agree with it? How does that equate to hate?

Old 03-16-2012, 08:10 AM

9,304 posts, read 6,822,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Maybe there are just some people who don't agree with it? How does that equate to hate?
We'll likely have to agree to disagree.

If one doesn't agree on what should be a basic right then they are hating on gays.

If one doesn't like gay marriage or the lifestyle then the solution is simple - don't get romantically involved with a gay person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or