U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think gay marriage will stay in Maryland?
Yes 34 61.82%
No 13 23.64%
Yes after the court overturns the referendum if passed in Nov. 2012 9 16.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:39 AM

10,136 posts, read 12,004,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
We'll likely have to agree to disagree.

If one doesn't agree on what should be a basic right then they are hating on gays.

If one doesn't like gay marriage or the lifestyle then the solution is simple - don't get romantically involved with a gay person.
That's your opinion. The point is they actually do have the right to marry. They aren't trying to gain a right they already have, they are trying to re-define marriage. That's something that gets lost in all this. Gays have the ability to marry someone of the opposite sex just like anyone else, but that is not what they desire to do.

Also there are a lot of things that people will disagree with, but that doesn't mean it's hate. I have family members that smoke, I don't agree with it, but does that mean I hate them? By your logic as long as I don't smoke, it shouldn't matter right? Is it wrong to have an opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 AM

7,247 posts, read 11,539,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
That's your opinion. The point is they actually do have the right to marry. They aren't trying to gain a right they already have, they are trying to re-define marriage. That's something that gets lost in all this. Gays have the ability to marry someone of the opposite sex just like anyone else, but that is not what they desire to do.
This is the most asinine thing I've ever read.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 PM

866 posts, read 2,356,238 times
Seriously! I've said this in another thread, but why would a gay person want to marry a person of the opposite sex? That doesn't make any sense. What if you are straight and the only person other people tell you you can marry is a person of the same sex? Doesn't sound too appealing, huh? Well that's what it's like for a gay person.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 PM

15 posts, read 33,360 times
Clearly a lot of the replys are from white trendies so far. I used to simply didn't care about the issue but militant gay activist playing the victim card and charging everyone who disagrees with them as homophobic made me turn against gay marriage. I'd really like to see if passed for this reason..Minorities and immigrants in the population centers (including myself) will help pass the referendum, like prop 8 in California. The conservative Supreme Court will ultimately uphold prop 8 (thus upholding all referendums).

Ultimately the trend moving towards a states rights situation..Sorry guys

Last edited by Kingtut428; 03-16-2012 at 08:23 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 03:04 AM

9,304 posts, read 6,822,417 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
This is the most asinine thing I've ever read.
Agreed.

It's not worth a further response.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:04 AM

18,590 posts, read 16,944,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols865 View Post
Dear Fellow Marylanders:

Gov. O'Malley signed the bill legalizing gay marriage in Maryland today.

How do you really feel about it?

Do you think it will stay that way or will there be enough signatures by opponents to put a referendum on November 2012 ballot to overturn it eventually?

As an authentic Christian, I am for full marriage equality in Maryland. I strongly believe that one's actions and lifestyle do not affect my faith so why cares about what other people do in their bedrooms. It's a total waste of time and energy to me!
You're not an authentic Christian then you don't get to pick and choose which precepts of the faith you are going to follow just so you can be socially acceptable.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:

Also there are a lot of things that people will disagree with, but that doesn't mean it's hate. I have family members that smoke, I don't agree with it, but does that mean I hate them? By your logic as long as I don't smoke, it shouldn't matter right? Is it wrong to have an opinion?
Exactly and that's why I look forward to signing the petition and voting No in November.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Black religious extremists, as you put it, is really not the only ones that is against gay marriage. Homosexuality is taboo in the black community in general. You will people who have never stepped foot in a church that will make sure that law doesn't pass. That thinking is more cultural than religious.
I'm one of those people I have not set foot in a church outside of a wedding, baptism or funeral in 20 years or so.

My opposition to gay marriage is that it is unnatural and should not be condoned or celebrated by the state.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols865 View Post
I believe they will get 55,100 signatures required to put the referendum on the ballot.

I hope it won't be overturned; we could be surprised because Maryland isn't overwhelming liberal as it is perceived to be. According to the last poll in January, only 53 percent of Marylanders are for gay marriage. With the margin of error, it could easily be overturned by 49% Yes and 51% No.

I think it doesn't matter if religious institutions embrace it or not as long it's legal by the state. They don't have to get married in churches or have loved one being sick at a Catholic hospital where they are more likely to be treated unfairly.
I'm guessing it will be rejected in November. The state is 30% Black and about 14% Hispanic and Asian. All three groups have no real passion for gay marriage. Couple that with the Whites in the Eastern Shore, conservative Baltimore suburbs and Appalachia and you quickly come to the conclusion that gay marriage is doomed before it ever gets started.

There will be no basis for appeal since the referendum process is enshrined in the state Constitution and despite what gay activist claim I denial of a right has not occurred. Since gay marriage is not a fundamental right.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:37 AM

866 posts, read 2,356,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtut428 View Post
Clearly a lot of the replys are from white trendies so far. I used to simply didn't care about the issue but militant gay activist playing the victim card and charging everyone who disagrees with them as homophobic made me turn against gay marriage. I'd really like to see if passed for this reason..Minorities and immigrants in the population centers (including myself) will help pass the referendum, like prop 8 in California. The conservative Supreme Court will ultimately uphold prop 8 (thus upholding all referendums).

Ultimately the trend moving towards a states rights situation..Sorry guys
White trendies playing the victim? Nice.

Why do you declare yourself against something that has no effect on you, but could make many people very happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or