U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:12 PM

5,149 posts, read 8,181,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Your housing budget will be your biggest roadblock in Rockville if $500K is your upper limit. You could look in the surrounding areas, but $500K is about the minimum you can expect in areas where the schools are highly rated.
Wow, this is just incredible to me. I grew up in Rockville, can't believe the prices of the homes. A whole lot of money for a whole lot of congestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 PM

1,548 posts, read 2,596,038 times
I'm from Maryland (Baltimore - great city), I've lived in Rockville (I loved it there), and am planning a move soon to Dallas. I'm in a completely different situation than yourself (divorced, no children, etc), however, which city would be the best fit for your family is entirely dependent upon your own highest priorities.

I simply love Rockville and the entire "DMV" area, and Baltimore as well. There's only one thing I would change about it, and that's the weather (cold weather doesn't agree with my joints or my SAD, and my dog has asthma in cold weather, too). Weather is far more important to me than a lot of other people (which is why they didn't understand when I left MD for CA, and now for TX).

So my suggestion is, line up your top must-haves of a new city, and that will help you decide. You've listed pros and cons of each city (and that's a fabulous start), but for me anyway, doing that drove me nutty because everything has pros and cons. What helped me decide between CA and TX was my personal must-haves list. #1 Weather, #2 Strong job market, #3 Low cost of living. When I tackled it from that direction, TX was the winner (for me, right now) and my decision was (finally) made.

And as the others said, surely visit first. You can't really know a city until you've lived there for a while (I'm speaking from a lot of experience moving), but a visit is better than none at all (though, I've moved to many cities I'd never been to before - but, again, I don't have children).

Whatever you decide, good luck, and keep us posted!

Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 PM

590 posts, read 2,138,268 times
I strongly suggest you visit both before deciding. One thing to consider: Even though Texas doesn't have mountains and seashore, the cost of living may be so much lower than Maryland that you can afford a few vacations a year to go back home to Wisconsin, or wherever your heart desires. Texas does not have state income tax, but the sales tax is around 8.25% and the property taxes aren't cheap. Maryland taxes are higher, and the state is far more liberal politically. If you are conservative and don't like the state meddling with you, choose Texas. Depending on what your priorities are, you may find it best to stay in Wisconsin until better opportunities come up.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,410,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Wow, this is just incredible to me. I grew up in Rockville, can't believe the prices of the homes. A whole lot of money for a whole lot of congestion.
Not if you take a reverse commute, and there are some that can be had for less.

Last edited by rsh56; 03-17-2012 at 09:25 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 09:01 AM

6 posts, read 9,589 times
I am a DC Metro Realtor and I understand where you are coming from. For me I like Texas but I love 4 seasons and my kids do too. The winters are milder than where I am from Pittsburgh, PA so I love it. I currently live in Cheverly, MD because to me the cost of living is less expensive than DC. There are tons of wonderful places to live that have great schools and I must say that the colleges are a plus. That's why my youngest son came to live with me from PA. If you need assistance feel free to contact me. Happy House Hunting.

Thanks,

Tracy Booker-Trammell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland