Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2006, 08:44 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times

Advertisements

I have several job transfer possibilities and one is in Cumberland, Maryland. I was born and raised in Montgomery County, but never spent much time in Western Maryland. Anyone out there live in Cumberland, visited Cumberland, or have relatives there? I would appreciate any feedback! I know it is near Frostburg College. I just don't want to go anywhere that is too much in the sticks, I've had enough of that out here in Montana!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 8,621 times
Default Living near Cumberland Maryland

I grew up in Cumberland Maryland and now live 20 miles South/West of Cumberland in the small town of Barton. Cumberland is definitely not city life, but is close enough to Frederick, Baltimore and Washington DC area to enjoy that life. I enjoy this area because it is relatively safe and a great place to raise children. I work in Cumberland and my commute is aobut 30 minutes one way. The traffic is not bad compared to the city. Cumberland does not have night clubs, but we do have great art and local theatre. We also have a number of good restaurants in the downtown area and a lot of activities for people with children - especially in the summer months.
Good luck on your decision to relocate. Feel free to contact me with any further questions about the Cumberland area.
Patty Wright

Old 09-20-2006, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 15,412 times
Question Definitely small town feel

Cumberland is a small town of about 20,000 people. There is one Wal-Mart and a few grocery stores. If you're looking to shop in town, we have one small mall with very few stores. For most shopping you have to travel to Hagerstown, Frederick, Altoona and so on (at least an hour to travel). As far as restaurants, there are very few nice restaurants. Mostly fast food. There are no Olive Gardens, Red Lobster's, or anything of this sort. Again you must travel at least one hour to get to these places. It's a rather safe place... not alot of shootings, stabbings, etc. Drug-related crimes are on the rise, especially with the number of prisons located nearby. Now my big problem with the area, the people! We moved to North Carolina and found that people here are so much friendlier than in Cumberland. People are very rude and you'll find that you don't receive many "hello's" or smiles from anyone other than those you know. Don't be surprised if someone on the road cut's you off and then flips you off. For some reason, that mentality has grown in the area.

I lived in Cumberland for 29 years and just recently moved. I miss the small town feel but do not miss the way people treat each other or the lack of places to go/things to do. But that's just my opinion

Old 06-23-2012, 06:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,558 times
Wow, you are so right, the people in Cumberland are rude and unfriendly, driving is a nightmare with horn blowing and they fail the be curtious or even safe.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:27 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Are you from the area, Smigal, or just passing through?

Either way, I will agree that driving is tough, but geography dictates it. The ole' grid street pattern doesn't work in a city that includes pieces of 3 named ridges, 4 named hills, 3 sets of railroad tracks, including the CSX mainline, switching yard, and shops and finally one creek.

Having lived here all my life, I would say the local drivers are courteous and know how to get around town safely. I would say people are courteous and friendly in general around here. I see small acts of kindness, people chatting in stores or in line, old friends exchanging courtesies every day.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,189 times
I've lived near and in Cumberland for the past 6 years. We relocated there from PG county. What a change! There is no city life, people are not friendly, and there are no jobs. Most people drive a hour to Hagerstown or a hour and a half to work, shop and play. The area is very depressed. Unless you grew up there or have relatives there, the people are very unwelcoming. The city has tried to create entertainment with local street fairs, events on the walking mall and other happenings but the local community does not seem to be very supportive. I would say, nice place to visit but not to live.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:08 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrooke97 View Post
I've lived near and in Cumberland for the past 6 years. We relocated there from PG county. What a change! There is no city life, people are not friendly, and there are no jobs. Most people drive a hour to Hagerstown or a hour and a half to work, shop and play. The area is very depressed. Unless you grew up there or have relatives there, the people are very unwelcoming. The city has tried to create entertainment with local street fairs, events on the walking mall and other happenings but the local community does not seem to be very supportive. I would say, nice place to visit but not to live.
Allegany County isn't for everyone. We are a collection of small communities, largely isolated in the mountains. It is a place where traditional multi-generational communities still exist. It isn't odd to live on the same street as your extended family, and know not only your friends, but their parents, grandparents, etc.

The community is welcoming to people willing to come and embrace what we have to offer. If you come from somewhere else and expect the locals to tolerate or adapt to your way of life, you will be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland