Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 AM

53 posts, read 107,709 times

Advertisements

Do you agree with associating montgomery county with western maryland and carroll county
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM

7,022 posts, read 11,317,487 times
No, but I wasn't really thrilled with Western Maryland being lumped with Washington, Frederick, and Carroll County to begin with. I suppose we are politically more like those counties, but honestly, our region doesn't have much in common with either.

Of course Western Maryland needs to be lumped with some other part of the state for congressional purposes. I preferred the old 6th to the new if that is the question.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 PM

45,424 posts, read 60,608,674 times
This whole redistricting was done by Busch, Miller and O' Malley to knock off Bartlett. They did the same thing 10 years ago with the old Bentley/Ehrlich districts. Before that the 8 MD Congressional Districts were split 4 R and 4 D. Miller, especially, couldn't stand that and stated publicly after the redistricting was made public that it was done to get rid of as many Republican Congressmen as possible. This time they not only screwed Bartlett over but also Donna Edwards who, although a Democrat, doesn't always play ball with the "boys".

They also wanted to protect Hoyer and didn't create another majority/minority district. Since he's 70 or so, once Hoyer retires his district will automatically become majority/minority since it's centered around Prince George's and Charles Counties (which will become majority/minority in the next couple years) with the rest of Southern MD just thrown in for show (we used to be in the 1st with the Eastern Shore).

Old 03-14-2012, 08:43 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
No, but I wasn't really thrilled with Western Maryland being lumped with Washington, Frederick, and Carroll County to begin with. I suppose we are politically more like those counties, but honestly, our region doesn't have much in common with either.

Of course Western Maryland needs to be lumped with some other part of the state for congressional purposes. I preferred the old 6th to the new if that is the question.
Yeah they were all lumped in together not on some geographic commonality but on the basis of all these counties being a majority white. If you can have half of the state's territory in two mostly white districts (1 and 6) then the rest of the spoils would go to the Democrats. But this is based on the false assumption that a majority white district will always vote Republican and a majority black district will always vote Democrat. As previously pointed out, Hoyer represents a massive minority population. Doesn't seem to bother anyone that he is not a minority.

And Westsideboy you have discussed Cas Taylor in previous forums. A charasmatic Democrat could emerge from Washington County (hey the Sheriff is a Democrat) and win District 6 or a Michael Steele-type Republican could always emerge from PG County to take advantage of their fiscal and social conservatism. Just because Montgomery County is solidly Democratic now does not mean carving off a chunk of it to place in district 6 will flip the whole district. That is based on the assumption that all of the other gerrymandered districts will continue to vote the same way and have no radical demographic shifts.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 AM

53 posts, read 107,709 times
I wonder if they would ever split a county like west howard, or the western part of montgomery county

Old 03-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcountryboy View Post
I wonder if they would ever split a county like west howard, or the western part of montgomery county
They have Anne Arundel which is represented by 4 different Congressmen.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 AM

7,022 posts, read 11,317,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcountryboy View Post
Both counties are split up under the current map.

Maryland 2010 Redistricting - Congressional Districts

and both counties were split up under the old map.

Maryland

So, I guess the answer is "yes."

Old 03-18-2012, 05:22 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
Is the 6th Roscoe Bartlett's district? Maryland has some odd snake-like districts to get Dems elected. They really screwed around with my district the 8th (Chris Van Hollen) and it extends from east MoCo all the way north to places like Westminster and Thurmont. Before it took in logical portions of most of MoCo and some Democratic areas of PG; it was made as such to get Republican Connie Morella out of office.

I'm suprised they didn't try to pour Dems into Andy Harris' district, which takes in most of Eastern MD. It'd be more logical to add areas of Baltimore, PG and Anne Arundel to that district to get Democrat Frank Kratovil elected, who was only voted out of that district 2 yrs ago. They could've done that and given Bartlett pretty much every Republican area in the northern part of the state extending all the way out to Kent County.

I'm glad the legislature got another Dem seat but this partisan gerrymandering overall is a horrible thing. One party has to do it because the other party does it, it's like how no one wants to unilaterally disarm with nukes. It's a shame we'll never get a Constitutional amendment with a uniform fair standard of redistricting covering every state in America.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 PM

They tried to ace Harris out but the district wouldn't have passed Court review. They had to settle for just going after Bartlett.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:06 AM

7 posts, read 34,860 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland