Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:51 AM

13 posts, read 15,370 times

Advertisements

Thought I could re-adapt to the East Coast after 20 in So Cal, but summer in early, long, and nasty here in southeast VA. I don't see from the weather data that DC metro's any different - actually worse. But I met folks from Annapolis who claim it's breezy and not nearly as humid (or feels as humid) as this swamp.

FYI: I'm single, semi-retired, do taxes seasonally but am considering self-employment as a technical writer. I'm also an apartment lifer, hoping to eek $950 max a month. Doesn't have to be big/fancy, just safe with no mold. 'Also like nature photography, so some city/county parks nearby help. (I'm invested in DEET.)

My area's way too far from DC's sights and activity, and employment isn't diverse: it's military bases, shipyard, and theme parks. Also, everyone is married to someone in the military, and church is the main social activity here, so I feel left out.

Do you think I'd like Annapolis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Your $950/month pretty much keeps you out of Annapolis. Add a minimum of $500 and you start getting into the parking area of the ballpark.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 AM

386 posts, read 655,617 times

Anything east of the fall line and much of the "pink" section is the exact same climate as non appalachia VA and NC. Hot and humid long summers and mild wet winters.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post

Anything east of the fall line and much of the "pink" section is the exact same climate as non appalachia VA and NC. Hot and humid long summers and mild wet winters.
Cool map. I'm so curious about the context.

Why were they distinguishing the 'Fall Line'?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Border between the Piedmont/uplands and the Coastal Plain.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:

North beach said it all, but the fall line is where the climate of Maryland differs greatly with the pink region (Piedmont) being very close if not identical to the eastern side of the fall line. But being an intermediary zone we can see "watered down" western Maryland climate sometimes, although rare. Usually Fredrick is the cut off where they get snow and we mostly get cold rain in Howard.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
I can always tell when I pass the fall line because of the flora. Those big yellow pines start to mix in with the Oaks. Scrub Pines are the only yellow pines that are common west of the fall line.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I can always tell when I pass the fall line because of the flora. Those big yellow pines start to mix in with the Oaks. Scrub Pines are the only yellow pines that are common west of the fall line.
Yeah the sad thing about living just on the other side of the fall line is that we have zero "georgia" pines, but 5 minutes down 32 and youll start to see them. As sad as it is the flora change is quite awesome through the state. In fact I pointed this out to my wife and she watched from home to the beach and the beach and back and was surprised at how the change is so close to home.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:16 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
North beach said it all, but the fall line is where the climate of Maryland differs greatly with the pink region (Piedmont) being very close if not identical to the eastern side of the fall line. But being an intermediary zone we can see "watered down" western Maryland climate sometimes, although rare. Usually Fredrick is the cut off where they get snow and we mostly get cold rain in Howard.
That's interesting...that it snows in Frederick, and rains in HoCo.

If a person was to roughly put 'The Fall Line' overlapping a highway...would a person say it's I-29? US-95? I-295?

Or most likely, just a mix of all three...none really being noted?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
That's interesting...that it snows in Frederick, and rains in HoCo.

If a person was to roughly put 'The Fall Line' overlapping a highway...would a person say it's I-29? US-95? I-295?

Or most likely, just a mix of all three...none really being noted?
Frederick is in a very deep valley. Lots of heat inversion goes on there. Cooler in the mornings than surrounding areas, hot during the day. I think there is a phenomenon called the "DC" split or something, where storms tend to split going over the Catoctins in Maryland, one stream will go north, one south, Often keeping the worst weather from the mid section of Maryland and DC. I saw it happen often when I lived in Frederick with thunderstorms. I lived there about 5 years and the worst we had was about 5-6 inches of sleet....that turned to 2-3 inches of ice, that we had to hack out of our parking lots with hand picks. No HOA to be seen for days. When they did show, they pushed the ice around and blocked our emergency exit door. Glad to see we were paying for good service.

I guess I-95 is close to the fall line in Maryland. The best way to see it is Rt. 32 like AndrewS mentioned, or I-97 South of Baltimore. Both roads give you that nearly instant transition in flora and geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland