Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 01:51 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,770 times

Advertisements

Are you relocating alone or do you have a family. If you have a family and like the library, state parks, community parks/rec department or need services for a disabled child/adult, then you couldn't find a better place than Howard County. If it's just you and you don't take advantage of the programs the county/state have to offer, then yes, you will be paying for others to use of those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:00 AM

553 posts, read 1,707,055 times
They don't call it the People's Republic of Maryland for no reason.

We are giving Taxachusettes a run for its money, no pun intended. Everywhere you look, costs are going up. I went to renew my registration on my car - it was $200. That's a lot. I'm pretty sure the last time I did so 2 years ago it was $125. You'll find these sorts of fee increases everywhere.

I've even heard Maryland is looking to pilot a program where they allocate how much garbage each household is allowed before you have to start paying for overages.

Income tax is going to go up again. It will not rise at the state level, but it will rise at the county level since many costs were just pushed from the state to counties and that $ will need to come from somewhere.

Property tax is the obvious place they'll poach citizens, since you can't just up and sell your house just b/c your taxes went up.

The only solution if you like the area is to live in Virginia, but any savings you get in taxes/fees/utilities will go right int your rent or mortgage payment, so it's net neutral.

You're best off just biting the bullet and making sure you put as much of your salary into places the government can't touch which aren't taxed - HSA savings plans, IRA, 401k and just accept the cost of living as the price you pay to be where jobs are plentiful.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:56 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Maryland has a "progressive" system of taxation, it is what it is you either join them or leave them.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:26 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymost View Post
They don't call it the People's Republic of Maryland for no reason.

We are giving Taxachusettes a run for its money, no pun intended. Everywhere you look, costs are going up. I went to renew my registration on my car - it was $200. That's a lot. I'm pretty sure the last time I did so 2 years ago it was $125. You'll find these sorts of fee increases everywhere.

I've even heard Maryland is looking to pilot a program where they allocate how much garbage each household is allowed before you have to start paying for overages.

Income tax is going to go up again. It will not rise at the state level, but it will rise at the county level since many costs were just pushed from the state to counties and that $ will need to come from somewhere.

Property tax is the obvious place they'll poach citizens, since you can't just up and sell your house just b/c your taxes went up.

The only solution if you like the area is to live in Virginia, but any savings you get in taxes/fees/utilities will go right int your rent or mortgage payment, so it's net neutral.

You're best off just biting the bullet and making sure you put as much of your salary into places the government can't touch which aren't taxed - HSA savings plans, IRA, 401k and just accept the cost of living as the price you pay to be where jobs are plentiful.
First bold: Unless you have personalized plates the fees shouldn't have gone up. The fee for personlized went up to $50 last year.

Second bold: Not exactly. The State's income tax rates are going up which will automatically increase what you owe in County income tax, too.

Third bold: Again, not exactly. Most jurisdictions have been able to hold their property tax rates steady because of the way the Constant Yield Rate is calculated. The real impact will come next year when you've had 3 years of reassessments after the crash. Also keep in mind that all jurisdictions have the Homestead Exemption for owner-occupied properties which limits property tax increases to 10%/year (lower in some jurisdictions).

You're correct about fees, though. You ain't seen nuthin' yet until the bill for the unfunded EPA mandate for Enhanced Nitrogen Removal for sewage treatment kicks in. Likely a minimum doubling of sewer bills with tripling or even quadrupling possible. Increases in boat licenses, hunting and fishing licenses are coming 7/1.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:41 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Maryland is a one party state and that party uses taxes to pay off its constituencies. Taxes have been increased repeatedly over the past 6 years and they will continue to go up because the Democrats will continue to be re-elected by the very clueless electorate here.

My advice to you is to find a job somewhere else.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:39 PM

553 posts, read 1,707,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
First bold: Unless you have personalized plates the fees shouldn't have gone up. The fee for personlized went up to $50 last year.

Second bold: Not exactly. The State's income tax rates are going up which will automatically increase what you owe in County income tax, too.

Third bold: Again, not exactly. Most jurisdictions have been able to hold their property tax rates steady because of the way the Constant Yield Rate is calculated. The real impact will come next year when you've had 3 years of reassessments after the crash. Also keep in mind that all jurisdictions have the Homestead Exemption for owner-occupied properties which limits property tax increases to 10%/year (lower in some jurisdictions).

You're correct about fees, though. You ain't seen nuthin' yet until the bill for the unfunded EPA mandate for Enhanced Nitrogen Removal for sewage treatment kicks in. Likely a minimum doubling of sewer bills with tripling or even quadrupling possible. Increases in boat licenses, hunting and fishing licenses are coming 7/1.
Yes, you're correct about income tax. What I meant to say is the state won't raise income taxes again this year or next year, but the counties will raise them. If you're earning over 100k, which is quite common in MD, you just got it from the state and you'll get it from the county soon.

The Homestead Exemption is a joke. When they re-assessed my last home in 2010, there was no 3 year phase in; it had phased in between 08-10 from 375k to 435k, and when they re-assessed it was a flat 360k for 2010, 2011, and 2012. So they avoided allowing the exemption by giving me a 'break'.

There is really nowhere to run to avoid it. You pay a premium one way or another living between DC metro and Boston metro. It's either home prices, property taxes, income taxes, high insurance, commuting/locality taxes, fees on everything, whatever.

The only way to stick it to the man is to put away as much of your earnings in places where it can't be taxed now or ever.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Did you just buy your house in 07-08? If so, that's why Homestead didn't kick in, you have to own the house a year before you get it. Mrs. NBP and I have owned our house for 25 years and the assessable base (what we're taxed on) is way below the state's assessment.

The Counties won't have to raise their piggyback income tax. The increase in the MD rates will automatically increase the cut for Counties. If you live in an incorporated municipality it gets a slice of that.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:58 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymost View Post
The Homestead Exemption is a joke. When they re-assessed my last home in 2010, there was no 3 year phase in; it had phased in between 08-10 from 375k to 435k, and when they re-assessed it was a flat 360k for 2010, 2011, and 2012. So they avoided allowing the exemption by giving me a 'break'.
Would you rather they have phased in the decrease in assessment? What you're describing is an assessment that fell from 435k to 360k overnight. Would you rather they did 410k for 2010, 390k for 2011 and 360k for 1012? Did your taxes actually decrease or did the property tax cap of 10% in MD do it's job and keep increasing the amount of property tax you pay each year?

The property tax cap, especially the 4% in AA Co. is one of the reasons we left Maryland. We knew that regardless of what the assessment actually was, the way property taxes are done in MD, guaranteed that our property taxes would go up every year. We had a mortgage and the property tax escrow was more than the mortgage payment it's self. We would have always had a payment every month even after the mortgage was paid off. We would be paying over $400 a month right now just to pay the property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland