Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:44 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
*"Hole", not "whole"
Thanks. I saw it, but too late to correct it...(and my other typo "use" instead of "us").....thanks again.
I hate it when I do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 08:12 PM

501 posts, read 1,161,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Thanks. I saw it, but too late to correct it...(and my other typo "use" instead of "us").....thanks again.
I hate it when I do that.
I know, it was probably an ******* thing for me to do, but you seemed enraged and I wanted to bring some levity to the table. Can't say I blame you, though. I think this thread might be kindling more road rage, no matter what opinion one holds on the topic, than answering any questions...

Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,541 times
Here is something about the left-lane passing law:

MD doesn't have any dictated rule regarding the left lane. VA however, does. Slow drivers stay to the right, passing drivers need to use the left. Its that simple. However, the US government poorly educates its citizens (as always) about the speed limit. It is an arbitrary number, not an actual limit.

More info about it:
http://jalopnik.com/5501615/left+lan...e+by+state-map

Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
....the speed limit. It is an arbitrary number, not an actual limit.
This is not true. In the article you posted it simply points out that in those states with the left lane laws, a vehicle going above the speed limit, yet slower than the other cars and impeding traffic flow, is in the wrong. It does not state that the speed limit is an arbitrary number or that any of said cars going above it are in the right. Anyone going above the speed limit is breaking established law and can, therefore, if desired by any given officer, be ticketed.

That map also wrongly includes the Eastern Shore of Virginia as being a part of the state of Maryland.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:48 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
This is not true. In the article you posted it simply points out that in those states with the left lane laws, a vehicle going above the speed limit, yet slower than the other cars and impeding traffic flow, is in the wrong. It does not state that the speed limit is an arbitrary number or that any of said cars going above it are in the right. Anyone going above the speed limit is breaking established law and can, therefore, if desired by any given officer, be ticketed.

That map also wrongly includes the Eastern Shore of Virginia as being a part of the state of Maryland
Don't you hate it when that happens? I am sure the people on the Eastern Shore of VA hate it even more.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 PM

581 posts, read 969,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Don't you hate it when that happens? I am sure the people on the Eastern Shore of VA hate it even more.
The Eastern Shore of Virginia makes no sense. It must have been chartered by the same doofus who thought up Maryland's borders. They just settled Jamestown and St. Mary's and then started drawing lines all over the place, subjecting both of us to identity crises and eastern isolation.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:05 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
I know, it was probably an ******* thing for me to do, but you seemed enraged and I wanted to bring some levity to the table.
I know what you mean. But in this case, from you, no offense taken at all.

Yes, inconsiderate drivers DO make me angry. Partly because many people put the blame for accidents on speeders, and as a speeder who pays very good attention to what is going on around me, and DOES anticipate what others might do (because its clear everyday how out of it some drivers are), who does see lots of incidents that people get into -- before the PERSON sees it....I get dang tired of speeders getting all the blame for bad things that happen on the road.

My speeding is NOT as dangerous as the driver on the phone doing 40 in the left lane of the Beltway, or the cab that makes a U-Turn on a dime on NY Avenue, or the person who has their turn signal on but goes straight, or pulls out of their lane with NO signal, or the elderly driver who leaves a trail of destruction behind and is so damned oblivious doesn't even know s/he caused an accident.

Years ago I (my car) was hit by a car that pulled into my lane to AVOID another a driver ......who IMO is the one who really CAUSED the accident, but because the initial car that pulled out wasn't hit, HE got to just drive on, and WE we the ones whose cars were damaged. THAT is the kind of crap that gets me roiling.

LOTS of people pull away from the car they SEE -- and it's such a split second thing they don't see or realize -- uh hello -- you can't pull away from THAT car...INTO another one. ARRGGHH.

Quote:
it simply points out that in those states with the left lane laws, a vehicle going above the speed limit, yet slower than the other cars and impeding traffic flow, is in the wrong.
mdguy, let me ask you (if you've already said sorry I missed it) given that just because there's not a law against something doesn't mean it's not wrong, unfair, or inconsiderate.....and everything a person CAN do isn't smart TO do.....what do you think of a person going 45 in the left lane of the Beltway?

Last edited by selhars; 05-17-2012 at 03:32 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I know what you mean. But in this case, from you, no offense taken at all.

Yes, inconsiderate drivers DO make me angry. Partly because many people put the blame for accidents on speeders, and as a speeder who pays very good attention to what is going on around me, and DOES anticipate what others might do (because its clear everyday how out of it some drivers are), who does see lots of incidents that people get into -- before the PERSON sees it....I get dang tired of speeders getting all the blame for bad things that happen on the road.

My speeding is NOT as dangerous as the driver on the phone doing 40 in the left lane of the Beltway, or the cab that makes a U-Turn on a dime on NY Avenue, or the person who has their turn signal on but goes straight, or pulls out of their lane with NO signal, or the elderly driver who leaves a trail of destruction behind and is so damned oblivious doesn't even know s/he caused an accident.

Years ago I (my car) was hit by a car that pulled into my lane to AVOID another a driver ......who IMO is the one who really CAUSED the accident, but because the initial car that pulled out wasn't hit, HE got to just drive on, and WE we the ones whose cars were damaged. THAT is the kind of crap that gets me roiling.

LOTS of people pull away from the car they SEE -- and it's such a split second thing they don't see or realize -- uh hello -- you can't pull away from THAT car...INTO another one. ARRGGHH.

mdguy, let me ask you (if you've already said sorry I missed it) given that just because there's not a law against something doesn't mean it's not wrong, unfair, or inconsiderate.....and everything a person CAN do isn't smart TO do.....what do you think of a person going 45 in the left lane of the Beltway?
I don't think that's safe- but the only reason it isn't is because most people break the law and go many miles over the speed limit. If the speed limit were 80, most people would do 95, some 100, and that person you mentioned would be doing 70. I'm talking about breaking the law, you're talking about being safe by playing within the current system- two different things. Ideally, people would not be speeding, there would be a true, realistic speed limit (an enforced LIMIT) which only should be legally exceeded when passing someone for a moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I do, but I also agree with the poster below you, I almost feel that the state of MD shouldn't exist and could easily be encorporated into WV, VA, and the whole of Delmarva being the 50th state called Delmarva, but too late for that.

edit: oops I mean 49th state seeing as DE would be encompassed by Delmarva. We could get back to 50 by splitting California.... / off topic brainstorming

Last edited by MDguy99; 05-17-2012 at 08:51 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post

That map also wrongly includes the Eastern Shore of Virginia as being a part of the state of Maryland.
Selhars pretty much put it perspective. However, I'll say that on 270, I've driven past state troopers and county police waiting on the emerg. lanes at speeds of 65-70 mph (and most of 270 is 55)and they haven't pulled me over for that.

Also, one of my friends was on a main road (not highway) and got pulled over by the cops at 1am. Why? He was going too slow (5mph slower than the speed limit) on a 40mph zone. The cop told him to go at least 5mph over the speed limit. The officer thought he was DUI or something apparently.

Interesting error, I feel bad for those at the VA peninsula.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
The cop told him to go at least 5mph over the speed limit.
That's bull****. If he did say that, he should have been reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland