Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM

11 posts, read 32,253 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am currently living in Pa and have been seriously considering moving to Maryland. What are some of the pros and cons of living in Maryland? I am not sure as to what area I want to be in but just the overall pros and cons.

Thank you for all of your help and information,

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM

45,315 posts, read 60,489,441 times
PA public school systems are generally better than MD. So is the PA system of state universities. They're also cheaper (it was less expensive for my oldest daughter to go to Slippery Rock as an out of state student than go in state to a MD state university).

PA's income tax is less, by a lot.

Housing prices in PA are less, but property taxes are generally higher as a percentage of assessment than MD.

MD's sales tax is the same but covers more items.

MD car license fees are more, as is insurance depending on where you locate.

MD probably has a milder winter, again depending on where you are in either state.

MD has better roads.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:39 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,881,798 times
+ Lots of history
+ Different cultures in different regions
+ Lots of nice towns and cities
+ Diverse (at least in the DC suburbs)
+ Good school systems

- Kind of expensive depending on where you are
- Taxes are a little high
- Traffic congestion in the major metro areas
- Some bad school systems

Old 05-14-2012, 05:00 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,488 times
Maryland was great in the 60's and before that, but when I go back to visit, I find the people in The beltway region to be obsessed with shopping, stressed out, and paying way too much for just about everything. I got tired of watching the spread of urban blight to neighborhoods that were formerly the ideal American hangouts. I treasure the way it used to be.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:29 PM

72 posts, read 150,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrm1012 View Post
Hello all,

I am currently living in Pa and have been seriously considering moving to Maryland. What are some of the pros and cons of living in Maryland? I am not sure as to what area I want to be in but just the overall pros and cons.

Thank you for all of your help and information,

Rich
The biggest con to me is the population density. The suburbs also tend to blur into one another these days, and that's getting worse. There aren't many towns in central Md. with their own distinct character.

There are other cons too.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 AM

11 posts, read 32,253 times
Thank you very much everyone so far for your opinions. Maybe Maryland isn't the place to be. I may think about a different state on the east coast. I just want a change in my life.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:22 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wanderlust View Post
The biggest con to me is the population density. The suburbs also tend to blur into one another these days, and that's getting worse. There aren't many towns in central Md. with their own distinct character.

There are other cons too.
This. Pennsylvania had different zoning, and it has many more traditional towns with individual character.

I would look into the northeast - upstate NY or anywhere in New England.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:42 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
OP, what kind of area are you looking for? Rural, urban, suburban? Mountains, beach? What is your price point?

Don't discount Maryland just yet. The advice above is accurate, but it doesn't apply to every part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland