Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:29 PM

7 posts, read 16,738 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Westminster and currently live in southern Carroll County. Taneytown is alright, and so is New Windsor. The schools are OK but not the best in the county. Like every town in this area, it is experiencing a tremendous amount of growth that is hard to keep up with. It definitely has a redneck reputation and it gets made fun of by other people in the county, but I have friends in Taneytown who are quiet cultured and are part of a community they enjoy. I also know people who work in Frederick County as teachers, etc., and live in the Taneytown area. My beef with Taneytown is that all of your errands, especially if you're not big on their one grocery store, involve a 20 minute car ride to Westminster. It's not convenient and you may get tired of it. With gas costing as much as it does, you have to weigh it against real estate prices to decide where you want to live. Unless you are particularly lucky with a job, you will have a fairly long commute, but not as bad as if you moved to PA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 04:25 PM

196 posts, read 796,030 times
Hey, speaking of groceries, there's a Jubilee in Emmittsburg that is fantastic, my wife loves to shop there. It's not real big, but they have a surprising selection on some things, and their meat dept. is top notch. I think they buy a lot of meat from the local butcher shop, which buys the cattle from local farmers. If you're in Taneytown, it's about a 15 minute ride. Plus, there's Mountain Liquors, open on Sundays.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:12 AM

143 posts, read 871,225 times
There is a very nice subdivision in Taneytown ..pretty good sized community with townhouses, and further back with newer constructions. There are 4 or 5 neighborhoods combined with lots of sidewalks. Roberts Mill Run and Copperfield are a few of the names. I've met some of the neighbors in the course of my work and think they are very nice, care about their yards, etc. This could be a start for your search...hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland