Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 06:54 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times

Advertisements

I want to pick up a new hobby. I've always been interested in guns and I'd like to start shooting. I've got two questions about buying guns in MD:

1) Do you need to register a firearm like a Ruger 10/22 (what I'd probably buy first)?
2) Can US permanent residents buy firearms in Maryland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
If you don't get an answer here, try a more specialized forum like this: http://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php

The local gun dealer could probably better answer the question about a non-citizen buying.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
I would second that advice. Go onto mdshooters.com and ask. I will say that gun laws in Maryland are strict and can be confusing.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:22 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,302 times
Maryland gun laws are weirdly strict and not-strict at the same time. They regulate pistols and "assault rifles" but there's no actual registration and you could walk into Dicks and walk out with a shotgun in 10 minutes.

Hand guns are considered "regulated" firearms and require you take a class before you can buy one. The class is a 30 minute video on gun safety. You can take it online here: MD Firearms Safety Training

Mdshooters is a fine board for information but its also full of racist/sexist/homophobic bigots. They are generally pretty anti-immigrant, so don't be surprised if you get some not-terribly kind answers on the 2nd question (unfortunately I can't help you with that one).

Old 06-25-2012, 01:33 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Okay, thanks for the info!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 AM

569 posts, read 1,441,795 times
To buy a handgun in MD, you must be a MD resident. There is a 7 way waiting period. Now if you buy a gun before you move here you can just bring it with you. There is no registration.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:14 PM

503 posts, read 806,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Maryland gun laws are weirdly strict and not-strict at the same time. They regulate pistols and "assault rifles" but there's no actual registration and you could walk into Dicks and walk out with a shotgun in 10 minutes.

Hand guns are considered "regulated" firearms and require you take a class before you can buy one. The class is a 30 minute video on gun safety. You can take it online here: MD Firearms Safety Training

Mdshooters is a fine board for information but its also full of racist/sexist/homophobic bigots. They are generally pretty anti-immigrant, so don't be surprised if you get some not-terribly kind answers on the 2nd question (unfortunately I can't help you with that one).
Sounds like someone must have gotten their feelings hurt.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 PM

503 posts, read 806,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
1) Do you need to register a firearm like a Ruger 10/22 (what I'd probably buy first)?
If you buy it through a dealer, it's on a federal 4473 and is cash and carry after the NICS check is phoned in. Maryland is not involved in the purchase in anyway beyond the sales tax.

There is no registration of firearms in Maryland, technically, though there is a recordation of sale/transfer for all regulated firearms (handguns and a list of long guns like the AR15, etc).

The Ruger 10/22 is an unregulated firearm. If you find one for sale from an individual, you can purchase it face to face with no dealers or state involvement whatsoever.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:38 AM

32 posts, read 60,625 times
I have sold guns in 6 different states over the years as a retail employee.

Under federal law, a person with a permanant, resident alien card (so-called 'Green Card') can purchase longarms (ie rifles and shotguns), but not handguns, as I recall. Maryland law may vary in particulars. As the other folks recommended, check with an active, local gun shop rather than a "big box" like Dick's. Having worked for them, I have to admit that they aren't the best depository for complete information.

The 10/22 is a good little rifle with which to start your shooting hobby.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:35 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
Sounds like someone must have gotten their feelings hurt.
Great attitude there, buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland