Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:23 AM

297 posts, read 1,273,616 times

Advertisements

I love the Columbia Mall - not ritzy, just nice stores, calm atmosphere (well, not on Saturday nights but pretty much any other time). It's a pleasure to shop or just window shop there. It's also a great place to take toddlers to get a little exercise when the weather is too cold to be outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 06:37 AM

83 posts, read 325,080 times
Columbia Mall in my opinion is nice. The anchor stores are Nordstrom's, Macy's, Penney's and Sears. Kids would enjoy the carousel they have there. I like checking out the puppies at Today's Pet. I would not take a kid to that store unless you're prepared to buy a puppy. They have a decent food court there too. There's a That's Amore close by that serves good Italian food.

I was surprised by the comments on Arundel Mills Mall. I guess I've been lucky in that I haven't had any problems there though I only go there during the day time. They have a Dave and Busters there which I really enjoy. Also, Remomo's serves good Italian food. Chevy's has good Tex-Mex. The Muvico theater is a decent multi-screen theater. They also have a Books-a-Million bookstore there. Lastly, they have a Medieval Times which is fun to go to. I've heard they're coming out with a new show. I don't know if that's true or not though.

Laurel Mall from what I've seen is a dump. I wouldn't shop there. We'll see what it looks like after the renovation.

Tyson's Corner is nice and is in a posh area.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:38 PM

382 posts, read 1,206,033 times
I live near Columbia and have often traveled to other malls thinking they were nicer. And ten years ago maybe they were. But it seems like more and more often, I'm asking myself why didn't I just stay home and go to Columbia Mall? It's improved a lot and I really like the bustle of the restaurant/movie theater area, as long as I don't have to drive in that parking lot.

I've never felt unsafe at Arundel Mills but I don't go at night and only park at BB & Beyond. Lately, I've been going to the smaller shoppings areas outside the mall more than the mall itself. The sit-down restaurants in the mall are good but I can't stand the food court - too much distance to cover.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:13 PM

6 posts, read 23,848 times
Columbia mall is great, Towson mall is nice and huge, Montgomery is nice, White Flint (small though). That is it. The ritziest mall in the area would be in VA, Tysons Corner center Tysons Corner Center | Interactive Map . Note the store list on the right of the web page. Huge! It is at the top of the dc beltway. Plan on spending the day there.

The not so great malls would be malls like security, mondawmin, arundel mills (someone was shot there 2 years ago in what was Jillians and is now Dave and Busters, during a weekend night) which isn't bad during the day but still depressing, and Muvico theater despite it's great design is extremely crowded with loud obnoxious teens on the weekends (nothing is outlet priced by the way), Laurel mall.

Last edited by moderndad; 11-08-2007 at 09:00 PM..

Old 11-12-2007, 06:12 AM

4 posts, read 23,823 times
Columbia Mall has Nordstrom as one of its anchors. It's a very nice mall with low crime rate, some good restaurants &14 theaters.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:12 AM

7 posts, read 19,976 times
Annapolis Mall after this current renovation will be the largest mall on the east coast of, ready? This hemisphere. I grew up in Potomac, White Flint and Montgomery Mall really were top end but that is likely over with Annapolis. Nothing in Balto compares and I no longer bother entering DC or VA...too many people with too little manners, courtesy or humanity it seems. Arundel Mills was a grand experiment that took off with a bang and has fizzled quicker than a cheap sparkler.... too bad as nice location near BWI too.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:32 AM

19 posts, read 93,890 times
I totally agree with everyone that City Place in Silver Spring and Wheaton Mall is horrid but the absolute worst is a the Beltway Plaza Mall in College Park. OMG, I was honestly afraid to get out of my car and I use to live in newark nj.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:05 PM

58 posts, read 290,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpade View Post
I totally agree with everyone that City Place in Silver Spring and Wheaton Mall is horrid but the absolute worst is a the Beltway Plaza Mall in College Park. OMG, I was honestly afraid to get out of my car and I use to live in newark nj.
No kidding, that's too bad? I'd walk in to Beltway Plaza right now. In fact, I would even sleep out in the open near there at Greenbelt Park, which is located just around the corner from Beltway Plaza. Anything like this in Newark?

Greenbelt Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 11-27-2007, 05:08 PM

19 posts, read 93,890 times
Didn't mean to offend you or Greenbelt but I never experienced having my girlfriend being hollered at, harassed and followed by large groups of thugs as we walk to the movie theater in newark as what occurred at that mall. Please don't get me wrong, Newark is a sh*thole and have hardened me and thats why I was surprised to be intimidated when going there. It's been awhile since I've been in that area but I guess I could strap up and check out the park.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 PM

58 posts, read 290,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpade View Post
Didn't mean to offend you or Greenbelt but I never experienced having my girlfriend being hollered at, harassed and followed by large groups of thugs as we walk to the movie theater in newark as what occurred at that mall. Please don't get me wrong, Newark is a sh*thole and have hardened me and thats why I was surprised to be intimidated when going there. It's been awhile since I've been in that area but I guess I could strap up and check out the park.
Of course your experiences are real and you are certainly entitled to your own opinions. Sorry if I sounded defensive. I am not trying to shout you down or stifle anyone's input or own personal experiences. I was just surprised by your negative view of Beltway Plaza in a direct suburban site vs. city site comparison.

IMO, it can get much worse in other jurisdictions and shopping places in Prince Georges' County than the mentioned Plaza/Mall and its immediate vicinity.

But, your experiences are what they are (shame that what you stated has indeed happened to you) and, if Beltway Plaza worries you more than similar places in Newark, then that's your entitled view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland