Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 AM

6,957 posts, read 11,227,672 times

Advertisements

Conservative Dem - Delegate Kevin Kelly (Allegany)

Last edited by westsideboy; 08-02-2012 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:49 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,668,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
I disagree. My wife is a conservative democrat and so is her dad.
Why do they bother keeping themselves tied to a political party that, for the most part, is not conservative?

****, why does anybody keep him/herself tied to a political party? I'd be neither a Dem nor a Republican because neither party fully aligns with my beliefs.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:12 AM

6,957 posts, read 11,227,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Why do they bother keeping themselves tied to a political party that, for the most part, is not conservative?

****, why does anybody keep him/herself tied to a political party? I'd be neither a Dem nor a Republican because neither party fully aligns with my beliefs.
To vote in primary elections. On a local level, primary elections are extremelly important in determining who eventually fills elected offices. In small communities, primary elections are often decided by a less than a hundred, sometimes just a few dozen votes.

Also, your vote "matters" more in the primary than in the general as there are less people voting, so the each vote carries more weight, and voting in primaries helps shape the politics of the party. They have to please their base to win, and will change to get enough votes to do so.

Moderates not voting in primaries leads to more polarized candidates winning and advancing to the general. Then you hear the complaints about the lack of politicians with moderate views. Well, the moderate candidates didn't make it to the general because moderate voters tend to skip out on primaries.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:46 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
To vote in primary elections.
...primary elections are extremelly important in determining who eventually fills elected offices...
And who doesn't.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:32 PM

386 posts, read 653,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post

Like westside said to vote in the primaries. They still also vote democratic mostly but have been know to sway (e.g. 2008 presidential and Erhlich). Im a registered republican but I mostly vote independent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And who doesn't.
People who arent registered to either the republican or democratic party. Its an effort to keep these parties in power over new upcoming parties.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:45 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
People who arent registered to either the republican or democratic party.
whooosh!

Primary elections are extremely important in determining who eventually fills elected offices (and who doesn't). The "who doesn't" contingent being mostly those who don't even bother to run knowing the futility (and growing expense) of attempting to pass muster with the base.

hth

Old 08-02-2012, 12:54 PM

575 posts, read 552,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
To vote in primary elections. On a local level, primary elections are extremelly important in determining who eventually fills elected offices. In small communities, primary elections are often decided by a less than a hundred, sometimes just a few dozen votes.

Also, your vote "matters" more in the primary than in the general as there are less people voting, so the each vote carries more weight, and voting in primaries helps shape the politics of the party. They have to please their base to win, and will change to get enough votes to do so.

Moderates not voting in primaries leads to more polarized candidates winning and advancing to the general. Then you hear the complaints about the lack of politicians with moderate views. Well, the moderate candidates didn't make it to the general because moderate voters tend to skip out on primaries.
This is exactly why Delaware selected Christine O'Donnell over Mike Castle in 2010. Out of the 57,000 people who showed up to vote, most were Conservative Republicans.

Last edited by InvaderBryce; 08-02-2012 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 08-02-2012, 05:31 PM

503 posts, read 804,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Would either of you name a Republican office holder at the state level (don't say Don Dwyer) who is a hard right winger.
Nancy Jacobs
Jay Jacobs
McDonough
Pipkin
McDermott
George
McMillan
Smigiel
Afzali
Impallaria
McConkey
Parrott

and Dwyer

Not saying any of them are fit to be Governor, though I think Pipkin is probably closest.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 PM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
Nancy Jacobs not really
Jay Jacobs
McDonough
Pipkin nope
McDermott
George sometimes
McMillan nope
Smigiel
Afzali
Impallaria
McConkey nope
Parrott nope

and Dwyer he's just plain nuts

Not saying any of them are fit to be Governor, though I think Pipkin is probably closest.

Entered my opinions.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,668,191 times
MD ought to have open primaries.

'sides, if I ran for office here I'd be an indie all the way. This state would look good in yellow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland