Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 14,632 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

So last night, I got my first speeding ticket after getting on MD-32 from I-95. The police officer who pulled me over said that was going 75 in a 55 mph zone . So now I'm faced with a charge of $160 and 2 points on my license . I was wondering what my best option is. I've heard a lot of people just request a trail and hope that the officer doesn't appear, and if they did, they just plead their case. I have the option to pay the fine, request a waiver hearing, or request a trial. Obviously, I don't want the points on my license so that automatically rules out paying the ticket. Has anyone took the waiver option? Or would just asking for a court date be the best option? Also, how would I go about doing it? Should I ask the officer for any notes she took on me? Should I delay the court date as far as possible? Ect.

Here are some facts if it helps:
- I am 20 years old with a clean record
- She pulled me over at 2:16 am
- I was the only car on the road
- I got off I-95 and was going the same speed on MD-32 as I was on I-95 (didn't really see the speeding sign)
- Just got off work from Arundel Mills area and trying to get to Silver Spring (10 hour shift)
- Sister got locked out the house had to get her home ASAP so we can both go to work the next morning

Thank you for your help! Honestly, I wouldn't mind paying the fee. It's just the points that would get me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 AM

318 posts, read 762,179 times
It sounds like you know your options and can answer your own question.

If you are guilty of the offense then you can pay the citation and receive the two points on your license.

If you are guilty and want to put yourself at the mercy of the judge then you can request a waiver hearing. If a "clean record" to you means you do not have any current points and have not received a moving citation in the past 5 years then there is a good chance you will be offered PBJ "Probation Before Judgement", meaning as long as you don't have another moving violation within a pre-set amount of time then you will not have the points on your record. No guarentee that this is what the judge will do, though.

If you don't feel you're guilty then yes, request a trial and have the officer testify in court.

If you do option two or three, I wouldn't recommend mentioning your excuses to the judge. None of those are lawful reasons to be traveling 75mph in a 55mph zone and might give off the impression that you disregard speed limits and drive as fast as you want depending on the circumstances surrounding your life at the given time.

Oh, and personally, I would take some personal responsibility and just man up to the citation and not waste the judge's or officer's time (option 3) unless you truely feel you are not guilty. That's just me though.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Why would you go on 32 to get to Silver Spring? Did you mean to make a stop somewhere first? Whatever. I can't give you any other info than the poster above did. I'm just trying to understand the reason you gave.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,389 times
I'm just here for the cheetos. But while I'm here, if I may chime in: Go to the trial if the opportunity cost associated with attending it is not as important as the two points on your record. At the trial, admit your fault and beg for mercy. Your clean record WILL BE PUT INTO CONSIDERATION. As the above poster said, you may find yourself with a situation where you just pay a fine but be spared the humiliation of points.

I know it is hard not to speed when there is a culture of speeding in the greater DC region. But... just don't do it! Not only is it against the law, but if you're the only car in the area it just makes you an even bigger target.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:27 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
You've learned a valuable lesson. If you're the only car on the road, don't speed excessively. You WILL be the only target.

I would go to court and tell the judge exactly what you've just said here. Take your sister and let her testify if she's willing. I foresee a $100 fine plus court costs and no points with this explanation. And don't call it an excuse in court, it's an explanation. Most of the judges are around my age and I hate excuses.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Man up and don't try to weasel out of it. If you don't want to get points, try going to court, admit your guilt, and ask for leniency. Many times the judge will remove points and fine you, plus add in court costs. Better than points, since points will jack up your auto insurance.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 PM

29 posts, read 85,503 times
I am sorry, but you will get no symapthy from me.
Ho. Co. cops use 32 and 29 as thier revenue raisers.
Pay it and forget it.
I am on 29 and 32 daily between 0200 and 0400 and they are always there.
Like another poster stated, you are the only one on the road, and they have nothing better to do!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:34 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
Don't know if it's different in Howard County, or if judges have gotten more strict with moving violations over the past few years, but I've always understood that if you appear at trial, have an otherwise unblemished driving record, you are honest and respectful with the judge, and you haven't caused an accident, they will generally let you off with PBJ and paying court costs. No points and no increase in your insurance rates. This opinion is based on personal experience (in Baltimore County) and, years ago, my work as a District Court Clerk in Baltimore City.

I'm not familiar with the waiver option - if that is essentially that you agree that you are guilty but are requesting leniency, that may be your best option. I assume they have added that option in order to free up the courts for "real" crimes (?).

Old 07-31-2012, 04:40 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
You might say that you didn't see the speed limit sign and you thought the speed limit was 65. HYou can always lie and say that you have never driven that stretch of highway before and didn't know what it was, or that maybe a large truck had blocked your view. I have friends who have gotten off tickets in other counties with these excuses. You can say you thought it was 65 cause honestly that 55 mph on Route 32 is ridiculously slow, you can easily do 65 or 70 on that stretch. Maryland in general has ridiculously slow speed limits compared to other states.

I didn't know it was that bad, glad to hear that 32 and 100 are big targets for Howard County police. I've only gotten tickets from cameras.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:18 PM

318 posts, read 762,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
You can always lie and say that you have never driven that stretch of highway before and didn't know what it was, or that maybe a large truck had blocked your view.
Are you seriously suggesting the OP to commit perjury? Right, because lying under oath is always a good idea.

Let's forget for a minute that it's a criminal offense that carries up to 10 years of jail time; do you really not see it being morally wrong on so many levels to lie in front of a judge???

And you're a terrible liar anyways. Both of those lies will still get you found guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland