Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:38 AM

386 posts, read 655,709 times

Advertisements

Stoved your finger? Yinzer??? Are yall speaking english???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 11:59 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Stoved your finger? Yinzer??? Are yall speaking english???
Sometimes it doesn't feel like it. My wife still doesn't get the "PA Dutch question," I am always having to rephrase or correct with the normal intonation to erase the blank stares I get.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 AM

228 posts, read 601,289 times
Any chance we can get a Starbucks, Panera, and Chipotle to come to the area? Oh, and a Target and Bed, Bath, and Beyond!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:10 AM

352 posts, read 796,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
Any chance we can get a Starbucks, Panera, and Chipotle to come to the area? Oh, and a Target and Bed, Bath, and Beyond!

Now THIS is a beautiful dream!

Old 09-03-2012, 05:33 AM

4 posts, read 5,463 times
Question for a local cumberland person in the know.
As you can see I just joined and this is my first post. What I am after is this. Possibility exists that in a couple of months I will be accepting a job offer for one of the agencies up there. Now I live on the eastern shore of md with my family. My wife has her own career that she loves, my daughter has her friends and school and such. We own a RV. If I accept the job offer would like to be able to rent space and utilities to park the RV and that would be my home for 4 or 5 days a week. My parants are in Waynesburg and other family is in Bentleyville so that would work out to see them also. Would consider the possibility to purchase an acre if the price and location is right to devolp the needed utilities; sewer connection, electric, water & landline or wifi.
Just trying to explore my possibilities if I do accept but elimanate the daily travel time and gas expense, as both would be a killer!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL7454 View Post
Question for a local cumberland person in the know.
As you can see I just joined and this is my first post. What I am after is this. Possibility exists that in a couple of months I will be accepting a job offer for one of the agencies up there. Now I live on the eastern shore of md with my family. My wife has her own career that she loves, my daughter has her friends and school and such. We own a RV. If I accept the job offer would like to be able to rent space and utilities to park the RV and that would be my home for 4 or 5 days a week. My parants are in Waynesburg and other family is in Bentleyville so that would work out to see them also. Would consider the possibility to purchase an acre if the price and location is right to devolp the needed utilities; sewer connection, electric, water & landline or wifi.
Just trying to explore my possibilities if I do accept but elimanate the daily travel time and gas expense, as both would be a killer!
Well, I am not sure exactly how to answer. If you are asking if you can get a cheap acre of land, the answer is, yes. I don't know what it would cost to get electrical hookup, but most likely you are looking at well and septic, not water and sewer, unless this acre is very close to the existing infrastructure, even then I don't know what it takes to extend it out to one parcel.

Overall it seems like a weird set-up. Rent is cheap out here. You could pay 600-700 bucks for a nice small apartment in Cumberland, or an entire house in a average part of town, or a trailer type building in the sticks to be your Mon-Fri house. I think carting your own RV around back and forth seems like more trouble than it is worth, IMO.

Last edited by westsideboy; 09-03-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 01:13 PM

CWL7454, I would also ask yourself what standard of living you NEED, before considering a move here. It is significantly, culturally and economically different from the coastal areas of this state. Many of the normal, mainstream stores are not here. Your choice in restaurants, shops, and resources will be significantly reduced.

...that is part of why I started this thread...

...had I realized how so much different it would be from where I was, I never would have made this move...now, I need to hope, pray, and work for significant improvements asap...or, I will not be staying. As it is, after two months with my new job, I have already started sending my resume out to places back on the coast, in areas with the kind of resources I need to be happy.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
CWL7454, I would also ask yourself what standard of living you NEED, before considering a move here. It is significantly, culturally and economically different from the coastal areas of this state. Many of the normal, mainstream stores are not here. Your choice in restaurants, shops, and resources will be significantly reduced.

...that is part of why I started this thread...

...had I realized how so much different it would be from where I was, I never would have made this move...now, I need to hope, pray, and work for significant improvements asap...or, I will not be staying. As it is, after two months with my new job, I have already started sending my resume out to places back on the coast, in areas with the kind of resources I need to be happy.

I feel for you, Norm. We lack the resources to attract all but the most committed people to our community. We can't offer shopping, restaurants, and other attractions like metro areas. We are what we are. Most of us would like to see our community enter the late 20th century in terms of amenities in order to keep new talented people around. Sadly, I hear stories like yours often. I hope you consider staying around longer than 2 months. Any and all change here is going to be gradual, it isn't feasible to catch up to the rest of state overnight, especially when the national economy is bad.

If there is any specific questions you have, about amentities, local politics, potential for future growth, or how to cope with living in a new area, please don't hesitate to ask. We need to attract and keep new blood in the area. That is a large reason I participate in this forum.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:13 PM

Thanks, westsideboy, I appreciate your offer of assistance and your gentleness in responding to my concerns. Don't get me wrong...this area is beautiful! The mountains are gorgeous and every view I have from my home is amazing. For people who love the mountains...this is a potentially great place to live.

Moving forward, I will certainly be in touch as I come across areas of concern that you could be a resource to assist with. But, the biggest challenge is a personal one. My girlfriend of six years helped move me in two months ago and said before seeing the area that she would also look to relocate...but as she is from Virginia Beach with a family house on Sandbridge, with all the resources available there...after seeing Frostburg, she sincerely shared that she could not live here as much as she wanted to be with me...she just visited again this weekend and there was still no convincing her as I am having trouble convincing myself.

I think this is a potentially great area, if you love the mountains, enjoy "small town" living, prefer to live simply, are married or retired....but, for unmarried, young professionals, who have lived in more urban areas...this is a tough place to adjust to.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks, westsideboy, I appreciate your offer of assistance and your gentleness in responding to my concerns. Don't get me wrong...this area is beautiful! The mountains are gorgeous and every view I have from my home is amazing. For people who love the mountains...this is a potentially great place to live.

Moving forward, I will certainly be in touch as I come across areas of concern that you could be a resource to assist with. But, the biggest challenge is a personal one. My girlfriend of six years helped move me in two months ago and said before seeing the area that she would also look to relocate...but as she is from Virginia Beach with a family house on Sandbridge, with all the resources available there...after seeing Frostburg, she sincerely shared that she could not live here as much as she wanted to be with me...she just visited again this weekend and there was still no convincing her as I am having trouble convincing myself.

I think this is a potentially great area, if you love the mountains, enjoy "small town" living, prefer to live simply, are married or retired....but, for unmarried, young professionals, who have lived in more urban areas...this is a tough place to adjust to.
That is an easy one, keep the girl, even if you have to leave town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland