Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you support the construction of the Baltimore REd Line or the DC Purple Line
Red Line 13 32.50%
Purple Line 5 12.50%
Both 17 42.50%
Neither 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2012, 02:30 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
10,219 posts, read 15,944,055 times
Reputation: 7206

Advertisements

Our state government wants to build the Baltimore Red Line light rail from Woodlawn to East Baltimore, with a possible extension in the future to eastern Baltimore County. THere is also talk of a Washington Purple Line between Bethesda and Silver Spring. This will be paid for by gas tax and/or sales tax increases throughout the entire state.

Whehter you live around Baltimore or DC or not, do you support this? And if you live in these areas, do you even suppport the idea of more mass transit regardless of taxes? I know many people in suburban Baltimore were very much against the initial construction of the Light Rail (aka loot rail) and the Baltimore Metro to begin with because of concerns over crime. Also that will just lead to more high-density development which also lowers the quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2012, 02:35 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
10,219 posts, read 15,944,055 times
Reputation: 7206
Its also important to note that Baltimore is very different from DC. The DC Metro has not brought crime really into ROckville or Vienna because the way DC is set up, it is possible to get from downtown to the suburbs without going through bad neighborhoods. In Baltimore that is impossible as the center city is completely surrounded by the ghettos that make up most of the city. Hence any mass transit line that connects downtown with the suburbs will include stops in the ghetto, which compromises the safety of the legitimate commuters, plus gives access for people from the ghetto to the suburbs where they can commit crimes. There has been a spike in robberies and burglaries in Hunt Valley and OWings Mills since the Light Rail and Metro reached those areas, same with parts of northern Anne Arundel County. The redvelopment of downtown isn't exactly good if it just pushes crime and drugs out into the suburbs. I'm sure the residents of Catonsville, Pikesville, Randallstown, Lansdowne, Greenbelt, Langley Park, Bowie and Suitland can attest to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Salisbury, MD
575 posts, read 554,919 times
Reputation: 183
I'm confused. Is the Purple Line apart of Metro or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
4,180 posts, read 14,605,366 times
Reputation: 1673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Its also important to note that Baltimore is very different from DC. The DC Metro has not brought crime really into ROckville or Vienna because the way DC is set up, it is possible to get from downtown to the suburbs without going through bad neighborhoods. In Baltimore that is impossible as the center city is completely surrounded by the ghettos that make up most of the city. Hence any mass transit line that connects downtown with the suburbs will include stops in the ghetto, which compromises the safety of the legitimate commuters, plus gives access for people from the ghetto to the suburbs where they can commit crimes. There has been a spike in robberies and burglaries in Hunt Valley and OWings Mills since the Light Rail and Metro reached those areas, same with parts of northern Anne Arundel County. The redvelopment of downtown isn't exactly good if it just pushes crime and drugs out into the suburbs. I'm sure the residents of Catonsville, Pikesville, Randallstown, Lansdowne, Greenbelt, Langley Park, Bowie and Suitland can attest to this.
Good grief. All cities have metro lines that travel through rougher areas. That is a fact of life. For Maryland to economically, the red line in Baltimore is essential. There need to be alternatives to car-travel in our state now and especially for the future. By the way, many of the areas you mention already have their rougher sides to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,301 posts, read 13,527,056 times
Reputation: 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
good grief. All cities have metro lines that travel through rougher areas. That is a fact of life. For maryland to economically, the red line in baltimore is essential. There need to be alternatives to car-travel in our state now and especially for the future. By the way, many of the areas you mention already have their rougher sides to them.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 06:49 PM
 
1,106 posts, read 2,885,520 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Good grief. All cities have metro lines that travel through rougher areas. That is a fact of life. For Maryland to economically, the red line in Baltimore is essential. There need to be alternatives to car-travel in our state now and especially for the future. By the way, many of the areas you mention already have their rougher sides to them.
Indeed.

What are you going to do when gas prices go up? As a car lover, I wish I can control the price of gas but the fact is, no one can and currently, our oil is supplied countries that obviously as strong feelings about the US if you know what I mean.

Last edited by rsh56; 08-13-2012 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Cumberland County, NJ
8,632 posts, read 13,010,048 times
Reputation: 5766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Hence any mass transit line that connects downtown with the suburbs will include stops in the ghetto, which compromises the safety of the legitimate commuters, plus gives access for people from the ghetto to the suburbs where they can commit crimes. There has been a spike in robberies and burglaries in Hunt Valley and OWings Mills since the Light Rail and Metro reached those areas, same with parts of northern Anne Arundel County.
What's funny is that you sound actually like those NIMBY's in Southern New Jersey who are so opposed to the proposed Camden-Glassboro light rail line. Better rail service can do more good than harm for a town. The River line in South Jersey has given towns on the line a much needed economic boast to their local economy. When it comes to crime you have to understand that most criminals who commit burglaries will usually have a car for a quick getaway. Most criminals are not going carry all that stolen merchandise to a station and then wait an hour for the next train to arrive. They would be easily caught by the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:37 PM
 
2,366 posts, read 2,642,049 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Its also important to note that Baltimore is very different from DC. The DC Metro has not brought crime really into ROckville or Vienna because the way DC is set up, it is possible to get from downtown to the suburbs without going through bad neighborhoods. In Baltimore that is impossible as the center city is completely surrounded by the ghettos that make up most of the city. Hence any mass transit line that connects downtown with the suburbs will include stops in the ghetto, which compromises the safety of the legitimate commuters, plus gives access for people from the ghetto to the suburbs where they can commit crimes. There has been a spike in robberies and burglaries in Hunt Valley and OWings Mills since the Light Rail and Metro reached those areas, same with parts of northern Anne Arundel County. The redvelopment of downtown isn't exactly good if it just pushes crime and drugs out into the suburbs. I'm sure the residents of Catonsville, Pikesville, Randallstown, Lansdowne, Greenbelt, Langley Park, Bowie and Suitland can attest to this.
So you suggest that crime belongs in the city and not in the suburbs? Saying transit brings crime is like saying gun control prevent shootings. Your concerns over crime is invalid as you same people have no problem driving through the city. Crime can occur anywhere whether transit exist or not. Crime can occur anywhere whether transit exist or not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
I'm confused. Is the Purple Line apart of Metro or not?
No, the proposed purple line is to be operated by the MTA not WMATA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Salisbury, MD
575 posts, read 554,919 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
So you suggest that crime belongs in the city and not in the suburbs? Saying transit brings crime is like saying gun control prevent shootings. Your concerns over crime is invalid as you same people have no problem driving through the city. Crime can occur anywhere whether transit exist or not.


No, the proposed purple line is to be operated by the MTA not WMATA.
Then why call it the purple line? Seems confusing if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
 
2,366 posts, read 2,642,049 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
Then why call it the purple line? Seems confusing if you ask me.
I assume that although its not technically apart of Metro, it does connect to other Metro Line. Calling it a color similar to the current Metro would be confusing.

After further looking into this, I have discover that WMATA taking over may be a possibility as they are helping develop the Purple Line. The project is overlooked by MTA but who will actually operated is unknown at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top