Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,720 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I’m considering moving from Bowie to Montgomerry County for one main reason: my kid school.

We are in Bowie(we have a townhouse in Bowie) and we have heard (which seems to be true on web) that schools are not great in Bowie compare to Montgomerry County (mainly Rockville).

So the question is, do you think that is better to move to Rockville (where houses seem to be more expensive) and send the kid to public schools or stay in Bowie and maybe send the kid to private school (which may be better than Bowie public school).

P.S. I have searched and found some discussions on similar subject but, I didn't get the answer for my question, that why I open this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,658,614 times
I think Bowie HS is supposed to be decent, but yes MoCo schools are better. If you can afford the move and it won't mess up your commute or anything then I'd say go for it.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:01 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,424,133 times
It depends on what part of Bowie you live in and the grade level of your child. For elementary you should be fine, although Highbridge, Yorktown, Northview and perhaps Pointer Ridge rank lower. The highest ranked elementary schools are Whitehall, Heather Hills and Tulip Grove. Heather Hills is an all-TAG magnet. Kenilworth and Rockledge do pretty well.

For middle school, Samuel Ogle outranks Benjamin Tasker.

Bowie High does pretty good, but the sci-tech magnet Eleanor Roosevelt is the best.

If you move to Rockville, make it worth your while and move to the highest ranked schools you can
Not all schools are created equal in MoCo, despite the overall (deserved) great reputation.

If your child does well easily, you may not have to move.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:15 PM

Thank you all. We live in Lake arbor and my kid is just 1Year, but we are considering the move in order to take the advantage of the low housing market now (Because I think by the time the kid will get old, the housing will be out of reach in Rockville. ).

What do you think about private school in Bowie, is that worth the money?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM

15,404 posts, read 25,687,255 times
If the cost of the more expensive home exceeds the cost of your current home plus private school then maybe staying in Bowie is better.

We made the move from College Park to Gaithersburg (Quince Orchard HS) when my kids were beginning Middle School. The oldest just graduated. We've been really happy with the schools here.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:00 PM

Good, What are the others good area to consider in Montgomerry County for kid school(I'm new in the area).
Also I have to consider my commute( I'm working in DC).
Thank you

Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 PM

13,348 posts, read 26,864,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDa View Post
Good, What are the others good area to consider in Montgomerry County for kid school(I'm new in the area). Also I have to consider my commute( I'm working in DC).
Bethesda.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:56 AM

6,563 posts, read 11,214,291 times
Not familier with Bowie, but am a product of MoCo. MoCo school reputations are basically in line with the area's affluence. Schools like Winston Churchill, Walt Whitman, Thomas Wootton (Potomac/Bethesda/Rockville) are the three that has traditionally been the most desired (AKA "The three W's"). Although I don't think the gap is as large as it used to be.

I'm a product of Whitman (from a long time ago....) so my bias is obvious. You're close to the DC line, but its still suburbia. Depending on where in DC you work, the commute from West Bethesda/Potomac to DC is basically down Clara Barton or GW. Traffic sucks... but that's not exactly unique. The huge downside is the cost....

However - and this is just my .02 - I think support from the home front is more important. I think a parent sitting down with their kids 30-60 min a day will do more than going to a reputable school. So, if by moving, you'll have to sacrifice time with your kids for commute/work...probably not worth it.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 PM

30 posts, read 137,725 times
There are great places in Bowie where all schools are lined up, from Elementary, Middle and High.
20715 zip code for example, is fully covered by great elementary, middle and High School(s) (Roosevelt and Bowie HS).
Dont simply listen that X schools are good and Y schools are bad. You can see real time comparison by visiting sites such as schooldigger.com.
Private schools in PG area currently run anywhere from 8K-13K/YR....so if you intend to only have one child, its probably worth it to be anywhere in Bowie and always know that a private school is an affordable option incase the public schools dont work out.

The areas you mentioned in MoCo are very, very, expensive, and IMHO, not worth the price.
You mostly encounter old homes, many requiring extensive renovation to get them close to what Bowie offers at 1/2 the cost. Remotely comparable cost-wise would be as far up as Germantown...that's where single family homes start to show up in the ranges that are similar to Bowie. Buying a really high priced home can leave one without options should the public school not work for them, so plan accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland