Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Maryland is culturally:
Northeastern 14 63.64%
Southeastern 11 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 10,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
It seems as if some of these people are trying their hardest to make Maryland seem mostly southern. But what they dont realize is that it isnt. Culture in Maryland has changed. Most of Maryland is northeastern. The capitol region and central are what I am talking about. I am not saying that there is no southern culture in Maryland, but has gotten to a point where its southern culture isn't very noticeable as it used to be. I still believe it is a mixed state, but if I had to choose a region and mid-atlantic wasn't a choice, I would have to say the northeast.
Yeah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,440 times
Default The answer is....

Maryland is Mid-Atlantic. Not to tough to be Northeastern, but yet not too genteel to be Southeastern.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:24 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,197 times
Southern, Appalachian, Pennsylvania-style in some parts... considering the various areas of state, I wouldn't consider it Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern like NJ or CT.
Slightly voting for Southern (the Virginia type, of course).

Some areas are very identity-less, but I wouldn't equate that as northeastern. The northeast has its own authentic feels and I (a Marylander) can't find those here.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
And Howard, Anne Arundel, Charles, and Baltimore Counties.

Along with PG and MoCo, all the aforementioned counties have their rich and prestigious areas, as well as stable middle class areas, solid working class areas, and quiet rural/country areas. You'll see these mix in a good amount of Northeastern states and some Southeastern states.
I wouldn't consider AA, Charles and Baltimore counties to be "rich and prestigious" as much as MoCo and PG though. There are more "normal" people in those areas.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:34 PM

BTW what's up with the poll results? There are three 'north' votes that are not included in the calculation as if the calculator was broken.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 PM

64 posts, read 73,746 times
TO ME:

In Baltimore, it feels southern.

In Aberdeen (just for a visit), it feels northern.

So really, it depends where you live. If you live in an affluent suburb (I.E Columbia, Bethesda), it is northeastern culturally. But if you live in an urban city of Maryland or an impoverished suburb (I.E Dundalk, Edgewood), it is definitely southeastern culturally.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:13 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynite1114 View Post
TO ME:

In Baltimore, it feels southern.

In Aberdeen (just for a visit), it feels northern.

So really, it depends where you live. If you live in an affluent suburb (I.E Columbia, Bethesda), it is northeastern culturally. But if you live in an urban city of Maryland or an impoverished suburb (I.E Dundalk, Edgewood), it is definitely southeastern culturally.
Baltimore isn't Southern I'm sorry. Most of Maryland is Northeastern with the exception of Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Southern, Appalachian, Pennsylvania-style in some parts... considering the various areas of state, I wouldn't consider it Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern like NJ or CT.
Slightly voting for Southern (the Virginia type, of course).

Some areas are very identity-less, but I wouldn't equate that as northeastern. The northeast has its own authentic feels and I (a Marylander) can't find those here.
Disagree. Western Maryland is Northeastern like Southwestern Pennsylvania. The rest of the state outside of Southern Maryland feels like Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:38 PM

64 posts, read 73,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Baltimore isn't Southern I'm sorry. Most of Maryland is Northeastern with the exception of Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore.
I live in Baltimore. It definitely feels Southern. The way I've heard ALL Blacks and most Whites speak, the local dining, the dancing... even the music (Lor Scoota and Young Moose... oh goodness).. all have a Southern feel. IDK if this is biased or not...... this is based on my experiences in the Harbor, Armistead Gardens, almost ALL of West Baltimore, Northwood, Eastern highway district, Highlandtown, and my residential neighborhood of Frankford. Haven't really traveled to Canton or Hampden, but I've seen enough of it to know it's the closest to northeastern in Baltimore, and that is NOT the majority of Baltimore. Brutal honesty... I know it's blunt, but it's how I see it and my proof.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynite1114 View Post
I live in Baltimore. It definitely feels Southern. The way I've heard ALL Blacks and most Whites speak, the local dining, the dancing... even the music (Lor Scoota and Young Moose... oh goodness).. all have a Southern feel. IDK if this is biased or not...... this is based on my experiences in the Harbor, Armistead Gardens, almost ALL of West Baltimore, Northwood, Eastern highway district, Highlandtown, and my residential neighborhood of Frankford. Haven't really traveled to Canton or Hampden, but I've seen enough of it to know it's the closest to northeastern in Baltimore, and that is NOT the majority of Baltimore. Brutal honesty... I know it's blunt, but it's how I see it and my proof.
Baltimore is not the South. Linguistically it has the same accent as Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey. In terms of local dining, nothing stuck out to me as Southern. It leads me to wonder if you've ever actually been to the real South. Baltimore and the majority of Maryland ain't it culturally, linguistically, or politically. To disagree with me is to disagree with linguistic studies, political history, industrial history during the Great Migration, etc. Baltimore can be Southern in your opinion but your opinion is only that...an opinion. Mine is based on facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland