Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Maryland is culturally:
Northeastern 14 63.64%
Southeastern 11 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 05:33 PM

223 posts, read 278,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I've heard the inferred "to be" used as far east as Frederick County. I went to college in Westminster and didn't hear any of the townies drop their "to be."

Funny story: In college I was taking a class on dialect. In one of my required readings, it listed the inferred to be as a unique dialectal characteristic of PA. I didn't believe it, so I turned to my friend from Garrett County and said,

"If I said, 'the car needs washed' would you think it sounds funny?"

"Huh, of course not." was his reply.

I cursed the stupid book for its mistake.
Btw, is it true black dialects are different from white dialects? In other words, is it true black dialect across the US is less diverse sometimes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 05:01 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
Btw, is it true black dialects are different from white dialects? In other words, is it true black dialect across the US is less diverse sometimes?
There is BEV, which is spoken by some black people. On the east coast (at least), black people have noticeably different accents, and the "accent regions" are smaller, with changes being more abrupt than with white accents IMO. A black person from DC does not sound like one from Baltimore, or from various places in VA.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:01 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Yes to question #1, although it is more of a Venn diagram situation, where many in any given area, some dialectal traits are shared between the two groups, while some are unique to one or the other.

I don't know the answer to #2.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:55 PM

223 posts, read 278,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yes to question #1, although it is more of a Venn diagram situation, where many in any given area, some dialectal traits are shared between the two groups, while some are unique to one or the other.

I don't know the answer to #2.
Yes, because I noticed that a black person from DC came over my house and he said water like a chicago or new york black person. It was like, I cant explain it in typing, but im pretty sure you have heard water in their accents. His parents were from baltimore, so IDK.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:38 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Yes, because I noticed that a black person from DC came over my house and he said water like a chicago or new york black person. It was like, I cant explain it in typing, but im pretty sure you have heard water in their accents. His parents were from baltimore, so IDK.

Interesting. Can't say that my experience is the same as yours on this one. Especially regarding Chicago and New York Blacks saying water.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:46 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Yes, it's different from white dialects. For the second part of your post it really depends. You may not hear much of a difference from say East Texas, Arkansas and Northern Mississippi and Alabama. But North and East Texas dialects sound very different to me than Houston. The former emphasizes the "r". For example, Beer is pronounced Burr. There is pronounced Thurr. You see this in St Louis and Memphis as well. They say it quickly though and go to the next word. You won't hear this pronunciation in Houston or the rest of the Gulf Coast. With DC, there is an emphasis on "r" too but it's dragged out longer. I can't honestly tell you that I've heard people from Baltimore blacks say everyday, carry, or even Maryland like DC blacks. I could be wrong.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes, it's different from white dialects. For the second part of your post it really depends. You may not hear much of a difference from say East Texas, Arkansas and Northern Mississippi and Alabama. But North and East Texas dialects sound very different to me than Houston. The former emphasizes the "r". For example, Beer is pronounced Burr. There is pronounced Thurr. You see this in St Louis and Memphis as well. They say it quickly though and go to the next word. You won't hear this pronunciation in Houston or the rest of the Gulf Coast. With DC, there is an emphasis on "r" too but it's dragged out longer. I can't honestly tell you that I've heard people from Baltimore blacks say everyday, carry, or even Maryland like DC blacks. I could be wrong.
Yes, the "r" thing exists in Baltimore, too (it's one of the main things that links the Baltimore and DC accents together). It can get really weird; some people drop the "t" in the word "Saturday" and so it comes out line "Surrrdy".

Old 04-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
There is an emcee from Brooklyn named Mos Def who has this song called "New World Water". The way he says "water" in the song sounds similar to the way we say it down here. Other than that, there weren't many similarities in the accent.

I don't know about Chicago.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:51 PM

71 posts, read 36,317 times
Chicago black ppl sound more like your typical "down south black" than blacks in northeastern cities like Boston, NY, or Philly.. listen to Polo G, G Herbo, or Lil Durk.. their accent sound more like Atlanta black ppl than someone like Styles P or Jadakiss from NY..

also, Maryland.. i consider it the south (am from North Jersey).. but, being only 3 hrs away from here, it shares much more commonality with South Jersey, Southern PA, and Delaware, than NC or SC

obv Maryland and Northern VA have a lot in common, but even Northern VA is much different than the rest of the state..

i guess, long story short.. Maryland, DC, and Northern VA are kind of in their own category.. i'd still call them "down south", but close, and very connected to the northeast, and can see why people would group them with the northeast.. if you're from the northeast (esp NY or Philly), you might group them with the northeast, and i totally get that

Old 11-02-2020, 05:28 PM

187 posts, read 364,021 times
I find I-95 (also the Fall Line) to divide MD between North & South. Thus I also consider DE to be wholly Southern, and the Northern-most Southern state. (This rule doesn't extend beyond these two states.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland