Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 04:58 PM

4 posts, read 25,422 times

Advertisements

I would like some information on the area of Brittenham apartments, I would like to know if the area is safe.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 11:33 PM

138 posts, read 786,679 times
Default crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary44137 View Post
I would like some information on the area of Brittenham apartments, I would like to know if the area is safe.
Thanks!
This might help:
http://www.salisburypd.com/Crime_Statistics/neighborhood.htm (broken link)

Salisbury is very small and many neighborhoods blend together. In general, Brittingham apts are safe. I would stay away from the following neighborhoods:

E Church St area
Doverdale
East side
Princeton

Crime seems to have worsened in Salisbury over the past year. Shootings are way up - but mainly iin the Church St. area. Still, it's such a small town that it's hard to feel totally isolated from it.

Good luck with your move. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. I'll try.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:04 AM

Thank you very much for the info, I'm leaving Cleveland Ohio after living here most of my life excepted a position at PRMC, I got such good vibes from everyone I came in contact with while there interviewing. I thought it would be pretty safe and not much crime since it is such a small area. It reminded me of a growing area from the looks of it. The area where the hospital is would that be considered downtown? I also have been trying to find out if there is public transportation. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much for the info, I'm leaving Cleveland Ohio after living here most of my life excepted a position at PRMC, I got such good vibes from everyone I came in contact with while there interviewing. I thought it would be pretty safe and not much crime since it is such a small area. It reminded me of a growing area from the looks of it. The area where the hospital is would that be considered downtown? I also have been trying to find out if there is public transportation. Thanks!
Hi again.

Yes - PRMC is considered downtown. There is a public bus system. I believe the website is www.shoretransit.org. Usually, buses run about once per hour and cost something like $1.50 per ride. They should be able to provide you with a map if needed - and there may be one online.

I don't know about bus routes from the area of Brittingham apts to PRMC though.

The area is growing but it's still definitely a small city compared to Cleveland. I grew up in Columbus and it's a bit of culture shock if you enjoy the big city stuff.

It is nice being 35 minutes from the beach though. DC and Baltimore are each about 2 hrs away and make for good weekend trips.

You may also want to try www.salisburyapartments.com.

How soon do you have to move? Good luck with everything!

Old 09-30-2006, 02:30 AM

I am starting at the hospital 10/30, Thanks again for taking the time to send me information on Salisbury. I know it's much smaller then Cleveland and since I am older now I think I can handle that. I must say I was surprised about the crime.I do like that Baltimore and Dc are close and I heard about beach that's a good thing. I have a couple friends in Baltimore. I was really trying to find something close to Baltimore when this came up but the hospital made me such a good offer it was hard to turn down and when I was there everyone seemed so friendly.I am leaving a 15yr job at the Cleveland Clinic so I hope I did the right thing , I had a offer from Tampa Fl also and the offer in Salisbury was better. I hope the weather is milder then Cleveland weather, How are the winters? Thanks for transportaton information , I sold my car here and will be buying a car soon as I get there that's why I ask about transpotation. Thanks again for the info!

Old 09-30-2006, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I am starting at the hospital 10/30, Thanks again for taking the time to send me information on Salisbury. I know it's much smaller then Cleveland and since I am older now I think I can handle that. I must say I was surprised about the crime.I do like that Baltimore and Dc are close and I heard about beach that's a good thing. I have a couple friends in Baltimore. I was really trying to find something close to Baltimore when this came up but the hospital made me such a good offer it was hard to turn down and when I was there everyone seemed so friendly.I am leaving a 15yr job at the Cleveland Clinic so I hope I did the right thing , I had a offer from Tampa Fl also and the offer in Salisbury was better. I hope the weather is milder then Cleveland weather, How are the winters? Thanks for transportaton information , I sold my car here and will be buying a car soon as I get there that's why I ask about transpotation. Thanks again for the info!
The winters are pretty mild here. Temps get cold but probably not like Cleveland with the lake effect wind & snow. We don't get much snow here. I HAVE heard that this winter is going to be a colder/snowier than usual winter due to the "El Nino" effect. Even with that, I would be shocked if we have a ton of snow. As far as the cold goes, you still have to bundle up and what not. It might be - on average - 10 degrees warmer than Cleveland winters).

You'll be ok here as far as crime goes. It's really not that bad. I mean, it is high statistically and it has been higher than usual this year, but it's all confined to the worst area of town.

Of course, you should lock your doors and be aware of your surroundings but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The people here are very friendly and will welcome you warmly. My neighbor works at PRMC and she is an angel.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:35 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
I am starting at the hospital 10/30....the hospital made me such a good offer it was hard to turn down and .....I am leaving a 15yr job at Cleveland Clinic so I hope I did the right thing
Mary, you must be really GOOD at what you do. The Cleveland Clinic is one of the nation's premier facilities. My SIL had a heart valve repaired there (not replaced) by a magnificent surgeon. Nurses are the closest thing I can think of to saints. Thank you for what you do.

Best to you in Salisbury. You will find that in addition to DC area (where I lived for 30 years) and Baltimore (my home town), you are in decent range of Dover, DE, Philadelphia, and Norfolk. You get to avoid the crowding and high prices but can be in any of those places in 3 hours. From Wilmington, DE you can get the AMTRAK to NYC even. Not to mention a trip to Atlantic City, NJ, Rehobeth, Dewey Beach, Chincoteague, or 30 minutes to Ocean City, MD (try the boardwalk fries at Trimpers, put vinegar on them). Use the Forum Search tool to find the postings on Ocean City, MD and I think you'll like having it a short trip away, without paying $250 a night for an ocean front room.....Your friends in DC and Baltimore will want to visit/stay with you OFTEN! LOL

s/Mike from back east

Old 09-30-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Mary, you must be really GOOD at what you do. The Cleveland Clinic is one of the nation's premier facilities. My SIL had a heart valve repaired there (not replaced) by a magnificent surgeon. Nurses are the closest thing I can think of to saints. Thank you for what you do.

Best to you in Salisbury. You will find that in addition to DC area (where I lived for 30 years) and Baltimore (my home town), you are in decent range of Dover, DE, Philadelphia, and Norfolk. You get to avoid the crowding and high prices but can be in any of those places in 3 hours. From Wilmington, DE you can get the AMTRAK to NYC even. Not to mention a trip to Atlantic City, NJ, Rehobeth, Dewey Beach, Chincoteague, or 30 minutes to Ocean City, MD (try the boardwalk fries at Trimpers, put vinegar on them). Use the Forum Search tool to find the postings on Ocean City, MD and I think you'll like having it a short trip away, without paying $250 a night for an ocean front room.....Your friends in DC and Baltimore will want to visit/stay with you OFTEN! LOL

s/Mike from back east

Trimpers is good but I can't pass on Thrashers Boardwalk fries - with vinegar, of course!

Old 09-30-2006, 04:22 PM

Thank you so much you both have made me feel so much better about my move. I am starting to feel excited now. I feel I have made the right choice of cities now that I have gotten such good information from such nice people.

I like the idea of being able to get to NYC, I'm a shopper and I heard about no taxes on clothing in Delaware. I will also be looking forward to seeing Ocean City. I will try those fries! It's also nice to know the weather is milder.

Thanks again!

Old 10-01-2006, 11:04 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdswines
Trimpers is good but I can't pass on Thrashers Boardwalk fries - with vinegar, of course!
Ooops, you're right. Trimpers is the bumper car place. Thrasher's is the French Fry mecca.

s/mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland