Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:02 PM

159 posts, read 279,769 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Baltimore ranks in at #29

Last edited by Yac; 04-19-2011 at 05:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:31 PM

7,005 posts, read 11,301,565 times
Wow, didn't see that coming. The good news is that many, many Baltimore neighborhoods were that dark blue color that indicates "lower crime" so those Baltimoreans among us have some good data to back up their never ending fight to show people that the city has nice areas too.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 PM

5 posts, read 20,413 times
Very sad. I went to college there...my last year is when I really noticed the crime was getting horrible.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:50 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,053 times
Does anyone else find this list a little odd?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 PM

I found it odd until I looked at the stats. They seem to check out. Maryland as a whole is going to rate poorly, as a densely populated east coast state. Even "safe" places here still have crime rates way higher than Nowheresville, Flatstate.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 AM

168 posts, read 672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
Does anyone else find this list a little odd?
Year after year Salisbury has a high crime rate. As usual, nothing gets done about it. If you find it odd you may want to actually live there and find out just how BAD it really is. Last summer there were 50+ armed robberies , few were solved. It was almost a weekly occurrence that some local bank was robbed. Speaking with a few friends Ive heard stories of drive-by's, nightly gun shots being heard, prostitution and open-air drug deals, recently a womans' body was found locally and numerous unsolved homicides from a few summers ago. Even if Salisbury isnt the fourth most dangerous, the amount of crime that DOES happen here is pathetic.

The local apologists/kool-aid drinkers will deny deny deny. BTW this linked website isnt the only site that has Salisbury's crime rate higher than what it should be. A quick google search shows numerous other cites, city-data included proving what has been known for quite awhile. The local news media covers up almost everything crime/negative PR related so most are incredibly ignorant to the facts or they choose to ignore.

The funniest part of this is that Wicomico County has "won" numerous best community awards. Last year Salisbury was an "All-American" city finalist. I guess a high crime rate isnt considered. A great way to spend tax money that is already hard to come by.

Last edited by oncesir; 04-07-2011 at 08:40 AM..

Old 04-07-2011, 03:22 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,053 times
I guess I should of explained myself more clearly...I am very familiar with salisbury and have lived there...I lived in Cambridge...and currently live in easton...

My point was I didnt see a lot of the cities I normally would see like gary indiania, compton ca, etc.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 PM

Some of it could have to do with crime reporting too. Not every crime that is committed is called into the police, and the police don't always follow up by making reports that indicates "stats."

Baltimore City is famous for this. Cop - "You don't really want me to right up a report on this break-in. We won't find the guy."

Old 12-21-2011, 10:35 PM

711 posts, read 1,498,124 times
I have been on both Church and Booth street...

It's just strange out there....

Not like a ghetto in Philly, Wilmington, or Baltimore...

But still bad in it's own way...

Old 12-22-2011, 03:08 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Salisbury is a conservative area, and I hope that court system is also conservative. They need to utilize the death penalty more over there, and lock away people for good. Now in Baltimore there are many Democrat judges who let people walk way too easy (including 20 years for murder).

There is no reason why a jury on the Eastern Shore cannot sentence a criminal to death, unless it is diluted with Western Shore transplants with their liberal ideas. Conservative areas tend to have less crime because of the court system. Yes some conservative Southern states like Louisiana do rank high, but in Louisiana most of the crime happens in New Orleans and Baton Rouge which are actually Democrat jurisdiction with liberal judges just like Baltimore and PG County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland