Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:09 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,698 times

Advertisements

When I first saw this article I was like who is this guy and isn't he too old to be still playing. But I digress...........I guess everyone is beginning to endorse as we get closer to election day. I know that religion, for the most part, is the foundation for the opponents argument but what kills me is minorities (even though he is not, his message will target that community) that have a problem with it given the fact that forty years ago their right were being infringed upon. From inter-racial marriage to the ability vote Maryland minorities were in a similar position. That said I am dumbfounded about the position that many(especially African-Americans) are taking on this subject.

Moderator cut: National politics is for another forum

Ravens player opposes gay marriage - Rosenwald, Md. - The Washington Post

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-04-2012 at 08:12 AM..

Old 10-03-2012, 10:25 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,541 times
Quote:
“Same-sex unions may not affect my marriage specifically,”
Then don't worry about it. Next....

Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Then don't worry about it. Next....
The line about it affecting his children is what killed me.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:39 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
The line about it affecting his children is what killed me.
I didn't see that as a serious issue. His responsibility as a parent is to raise them well so they can be prepared for what is in the real world.

Last edited by rsh56; 10-03-2012 at 11:00 AM..

Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 AM

575 posts, read 554,397 times
It's his opinion and while I disagree with it completely, I still respect it.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
I didn't see that as a serious issue. His responsibility as a parent is to raise them well so they can be prepared for what is in the real world.
I understand that but how can approving such a legislation directly impact his children? Is he saying that given the option his children could choose to enter into a same sex marriage? I don't know his reasoning behind that assertion but at face value it doesn't add up. I grew up in an impoverished neighborhood with a lot of crime but I was not negatively impacted by it because of the principles instilled by my parents/family. He could have just as easily stated that he doesn't agree with same sex marriages. But you are right its one of many opinions on the subject. Some are convoluted others are not.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
When I first saw this article I was like who is this guy and isn't he too old to be still playing. But I digress...........I guess everyone is beginning to endorse as we get closer to election day. I know that religion, for the most part, is the foundation for the opponents argument but what kills me is minorities (even though he is not, his message will target that community) that have a problem with it given the fact that forty years ago their right were being infringed upon. From inter-racial marriage to the ability vote Maryland minorities were in a similar position. That said I am dumbfounded about the position that many(especially African-Americans) are taking on this subject.
I have to respectfully disagree with what you are saying here. People define religion as some predetermined category. If you really want to be honest we all subscribe to a form of religion whether we admit it or not. If someone doesn't believe in God, then they may believe in a person, a thing or even themselves, but either way we all believe in something. For someone to say that you support or not support issues like this, we all base it on what our core beliefs are. I mean, if someone supports gay marriage, how can you separate that support from their beliefs? If they think that it's right, isn't that a form of a belief? Aren't beliefs the basis of religion?

Also understand that there is very little in common between gay marriage and interracial marriage. Inter racial marriage was allowed in many, many states and it also did not change the definition of marriage. The provision to stop one to marry was only made in certain states and didn't change the core definition that marriage was between man and woman. That is the real issue here. What is the foundation of what marriage is. In this country, we have built a foundation on judeo-Christian principles and therefore it is silly for this nation to try to tell people what marriage is especially since marriage preceded the birth of this nation. If we want to get to the core of the issue we need to determine where the definition of marriage has come from.

Quote:
On another(but similar) note, I know that a lot of black churches have begun to encourage their congregations to not vote at all (which I have another issue with) because Obama expressed his views but is not voting really the answer? What happens if those congregations don't vote? Do they realize the repercussions of low voter turn-out in their district. How do they think governments decide priorities when it comes to infrastructure and educational improvements? In regards to this issue, people can vote how they choose but to not vote at all is a dis-service to all that fought for the right to do so.

My understanding is there isn't a push to not vote at all, but to not vote for President. Of course some people may take it to the full extreme, but I've heard many say that it is the Presidential candidates who are not worth voting for. There are a lot of Christians like myself, who do not believe either President represent the core beliefs of Christian faith. In years past we have forced ourselves to vote for a candidate because "we had to choose", but the thinking is starting to change.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
It's his opinion and while I disagree with it completely, I still respect it.
There are some opinions that it's ok not to respect - like not vaccinating your children or thinking that it's ok to systematically discriminate against an entire group of people.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:08 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
I understand that but how can approving such a legislation directly impact his children? Is he saying that given the option his children could choose to enter into a same sex marriage? I don't know his reasoning behind that assertion but at face value it doesn't add up. I grew up in an impoverished neighborhood with a lot of crime but I was not negatively impacted by it because of the principles instilled by my parents/family. He could have just as easily stated that he doesn't agree with same sex marriages. But you are right its one of many opinions on the subject. Some are convoluted others are not.
This has been misrepresented as just being about gay marriage, but it's much more. This is essentially opening up pandora's box, so to speak. I agree with Matt Birk, I think such legislation would impact my daughters as well, which is why I too would like to protect my children. Let me put it like this, if this passes, do you think it stops at marriage? What about sex education? What will they teach children in school? That being gay is okay? Let's face facts, we live in a society that is trying to get us all to accept this as being right and passing this law is just the beginning. Look at the television shows now, like the New Normal. The hypocrisy in this whole situation is we are told that we are wrong to 'infringe' on the rights of others and tell them how to live their lives, but the moment someone like Matt Birk speaks out, he is told that his thinking is wrong and flawed and he needs to 'get with the times'. I have nothing against gays, I respect them, and it's not my job to tell them what they are doing is wrong because it's their life, but if someone ask me for my opinion I will tell them that I believe homosexuality is wrong and I would hope that people would respect my opinion just as I will respect their opinion.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM

575 posts, read 554,397 times
Quote:
On another(but similar) note, I know that a lot of black churches have begun to encourage their congregations to not vote at all (which I have another issue with) because Obama expressed his views but is not voting really the answer? What happens if those congregations don't vote? Do they realize the repercussions of low voter turn-out in their district. How do they think governments decide priorities when it comes to infrastructure and educational improvements? In regards to this issue, people can vote how they choose but to not vote at all is a dis-service to all that fought for the right to do so.

Moderator cut: National politics is for another forum.

Nothing irks me more than single-issue voters and it's these same people who are always the first to complain when something doesn't go their way.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-04-2012 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland