U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,230,908 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts in terms of similarities and differences between both jurisdictions which are more or less similar in size and setting.

Nothing serious, just thought it would make for an interesting conversation piece.

PG - 871,000 498 sq. miles
Balt Co. - 805,000 682 sq. miles
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 02:29 PM

36,569 posts, read 47,201,444 times
Baltimore County overall has a much better school system. I have to go up there every year for site visits at various high schools and I can tell you the central office has its **** together for what I'm there for. As an employee of PGCPS I can also tell you PG doesn't have it together for the same thing. In fact people tasked to do things either don't understand what needs to be done or run away from doing it. The dysfunction at Sasscer threatens the accreditation of County high schools.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,659,144 times
P.G. County, for one thing, doesn't have anything remotely similar to this enormous, 4-story high mall http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towson_Town_Center

Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM

671 posts, read 1,394,718 times
slowlane3: Well here's to hoping.

I would make note of NH or its Tangier Outlet development but I'd just be kidding myself.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:10 AM

PG County: nearly all jobs located actually in the County are either Federal government (which has pretty much stayed the same for the past 60 years with little growth in all that time), local government, education and community services, distribution centers, or retail/ small business. Relatively little manufacturing, or national corporations - exceptions I can think of, would be the Beretta gun factory in Accokeek, Duron housepaint factory in Beltsville.

Baltimore County: northern part of County has corporate headquarters of Black and Decker Tools, McCormick Spices, and other corporations in the Hunt Valley corporate area. The nation's largest steel mill used to be in Sparrows Point (now it's just a skeleton force there). Most prominent Federal facility would be Medicare/Medicaid headquarters in Woodlawn. No military bases.

PG County: has the state's largest university, and one community college campus (with extensions at Andrews Base and a couple other places), also Bowie State Univ. Has metrorail lines projecting out in FOUR separate places. No shopping malls at all comparable to Balt county's huge, 4-story Towson town center.

Baltimore County; has the state's 2nd largest public university (towson), and three community college campuses (catonsville, essex, dundalk). Has one metrorail line (to owings mills), and one light-rail line (going north to hunt valley).

I suppose the national Medicare/Medicaid (HCFA) headquarters in Woodlawn, Baltimore County, in its workforce size, could be compared to the Suitland Federal Center in PG County.

Both counties have Beltways (495 and 695), as well as freeways (95, 83, and 295) leading into the core city of their respective metro areas.

PG County: At this time, a majority black population in most areas, with substantial Hispanics in some parts.

Baltimore County: population has always been overwhelmingly white, except for Randallstown in recent years has become 70% black, and the tiny community of Turners Station near Dundalk (mentioned in best-selling book "The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks"). The northern and northwestern County suburbs with their private schools, physicians, major Jewish presence, and sophistication, are more comparable to Montgomery County than to PGC.

Native-grown politicians of national stature: PG County: Steny Hoyer (Democratic Whip of US House)
Baltimore County: the discredited Spiro Agnew (Republican, US Vice President)

Last edited by slowlane3; 10-11-2012 at 12:43 AM..

Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM

10,136 posts, read 12,374,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
PG County: nearly all jobs located actually in the County are either Federal government (which has pretty much stayed the same for the past 60 years with little growth in all that time), local government, education and community services, distribution centers, or retail/ small business. Relatively little manufacturing, or national corporations - exceptions I can think of, would be the Beretta gun factory in Accokeek, Duron housepaint factory in Beltsville.

Baltimore County: northern part of County has corporate headquarters of Black and Decker Tools, McCormick Spices, and other corporations in the Hunt Valley corporate area. The nation's largest steel mill used to be in Sparrows Point (now it's just a skeleton force there). Most prominent Federal facility would be Medicare/Medicaid headquarters in Woodlawn. No military bases.

PG County: has the state's largest university, and one community college campus (with extensions at Andrews Base and a couple other places), also Bowie State Univ. Has metrorail lines projecting out in FOUR separate places. No shopping malls at all comparable to Balt county's huge, 4-story Towson town center.

Baltimore County; has the state's 2nd largest public university (towson), and three community college campuses (catonsville, essex, dundalk). Has one metrorail line (to owings mills), and one light-rail line (going north to hunt valley).

I suppose the national Medicare/Medicaid (HCFA) headquarters in Woodlawn, Baltimore County, in its workforce size, could be compared to the Suitland Federal Center in PG County.

Both counties have Beltways (495 and 695), as well as freeways (95, 83, and 295) leading into the core city of their respective metro areas.

PG County: At this time, a majority black population in most areas, with substantial Hispanics in some parts.

Baltimore County: population has always been overwhelmingly white, except for Randallstown in recent years has become 70% black, and the tiny community of Turners Station near Dundalk (mentioned in best-selling book "The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks"). The northern and northwestern County suburbs with their private schools, physicians, major Jewish presence, and sophistication, are more comparable to Montgomery County than to PGC.

Native-grown politicians of national stature: PG County: Steny Hoyer (Democratic Whip of US House)
Baltimore County: the discredited Spiro Agnew (Republican, US Vice President)
Don't forget about UMBC. Other than that, a good contrast of both

Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 AM

10,136 posts, read 12,374,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
slowlane3: Well here's to hoping.

I would make note of NH or its Tangier Outlet development but I'd just be kidding myself.
Two very different developments. To start, Tanger Outlet hasn't even been built so it's hard to draw a comparison now. Second, National Harbor isn't really a shopping mall like Towson Mall is. It's more of a destination than just a shopping area. It's really not an apples to apples comparison between the two.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Don't forget about UMBC. Other than that, a good contrast of both
Yes, of course -- and UMBC is getting a very good reputation lately.

I also forgot to mention that the HUGE, Martin aircraft factory near Essex, during the World War 2 years, employed many thousands. PG County has had sand and gravel mining in Silver Hill and in South Laurel, but I suppose that's very minor.

Last edited by slowlane3; 10-11-2012 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 AM

PCG's major farm crop historically, was tobacco (before the state buyout program of the 1990s). In Balto County I believe it was/ is corn and dairying.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 PM

9,161 posts, read 13,525,090 times
There is NOTHING similar between these two except that "urban renewal" in nearby cities has pushed crime to both places. A LOT more with PGC. Most of Baltimore County is very nice and suburban with many rural parts too.

I think a more apt comparison is PG County and Baltimore City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland