Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:13 AM

147 posts, read 218,779 times

Advertisements

Is is even conceievable to consider living in pretty Annapolis and working 2 days a week in Reston? I am looking for a better quality of life and I can work at home a few days a week. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb1144 View Post
Is is even conceievable to consider living in pretty Annapolis and working 2 days a week in Reston? I am looking for a better quality of life and I can work at home a few days a week. Your thoughts?
If it is only 3 days a week maybe, but that is going to be a horrible commute.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 AM

92 posts, read 428,973 times
Last evening I drove from Crofton (~15-20min west of Annapolis) to Reston to meet a friend for dinner. It took a little over an hour leaving around 6 using the north end of 495 and the Dulles Toll Road. That's with no accidents but some pretty nasty traffic once we got close to VA. Is it doable? Yes, but traffic would be pretty rough, I would count on 2 hours each way. 2 days a week might make it bearable though. Also in a few years you might be able to take the Metro Silver line there, but that would likely take just as long and be expensive unless your job subsidizes your commute.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:04 AM

Thank you. That is super helpful. I am currently in Germantown and am dying for a better quality of life. I am not from the east coast and I ache for living in a beautiful and serene place. I don't think my job would subsidize, but you never know. I wonder if I left super early and came home later or something. Just ideas. Going there today to enjoy a pretty Saturday.
Thanks bunches!

Old 10-13-2012, 08:06 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
No way.

Beautiful and serene is tough to find Where you can commute to a job... But look west from Reston, there are some nice and quiet places. Leesburg or even somewhere in ghe shenendoah valley (Winchester?) would still be a long drive but better than from Annapolis.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:02 AM

Okay...that was good, as well. I went yesterday and it was too far. I will visit, though. It sure is pretty. I will look at the western area. I am a single female and am hoping for a lifestyle that is serene, balanced and less yukky than what I am currently doing. I am currently in Germantown and trust me, it leaves much to desired, IMO.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb1144 View Post
Okay...that was good, as well. I went yesterday and it was too far. I will visit, though. It sure is pretty. I will look at the western area. I am a single female and am hoping for a lifestyle that is serene, balanced and less yukky than what I am currently doing. I am currently in Germantown and trust me, it leaves much to desired, IMO.
It's definitely hard to find that in the dc area. Traffic around reston isn't good either, so you will have to deal with it regardless, but If you dont mind that there are some pretty areas within a reasonable difference. I'm old enough to remember when that whole area was farms, because it wasn't that long ago. There's still some serenity left around there somewhere.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:07 PM

16,272 posts, read 10,395,161 times
First off I hear you on Germantown, especially if you are single. Annapolis is in fact beautiful and if it's only 2 days a week and you have the ability to come in early it may be worth a look. I was also going to suggest looking west too but I have no idea what you definition of a good quality of life is. Annapolis has a lot more of a night life for sure than say Leesburg, which is still kind of a burb only further out. And a commute from Leesburg to Reston has got to be rough as you are going into the teeth of traffic.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:06 PM

I didn't see that it was 2 days a week. Yeah, if you could do it at odd hours, then it wouldn't the worst thing in the world.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:18 PM

I am not sure what I want, but I know for sure it's NOT Germantown. I am not into the night life, per se, but I do like things to do. I want to learn to belly dance. No idea why, but I do. Regardless, a few people I know tell me to seriously consider Frederick. They live there and they love it, apparently. It's a haul, as well, but I might be able to do it based on drive times of the day and what days of the week, etc. No clue yet, but I am on the hunt, for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland