Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 AM

3 posts, read 21,714 times

Advertisements

I and my wife are planning to move here but before we make any final decisions we wanted some insight from the natives of this town…thanks again and have a blessed day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Answers to both of your questions:

Yes, and yes.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:43 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
It used to be but not so much anymore, especially the part east of Interstate 695. Today parts of Catonsville is still nice but one wonders how long this will last. With the "revitalization" of downtown Baltimore, the ghetto has been pushed outward and many parts of western Baltimore County have declined dramatically.....Landsdowne, Halethorpe, Catonsville and especially Randallstown is particularly bad. That famous bleach fight at the Walmart that was on national news took place not far from Catonsville and it is full of hoodlums and crackheads from the city.

Also keep in mind that our tax obsessed, anti rural, and anti-suburban governor will be pushing through the taxpayer funded Baltimore Red Line mass transit route will will go from Baltimore City to Woodlawn which is close to Catonsville. This inevitably will bring crime and more ghetto and undesirable elements from the city into the suburbs. This new rail line will conect some of the worst parts of the inner city (like the parts by West Franklin and Route 40, etc) with the western suburbs. The Light Rail and the Baltimore Metro have had terrible and destructive effects on Owings Mills, Cockeysville, Hunt Valley, and Linthicum and other suburban areas in Baltimore County and Anne Arundel County.

If you can afford it, I would suggest Howard County, northern and eastern Baltimore County, Carroll County, Harford County, and southern Anne Arundel County.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Also keep in mind that our tax obsessed, anti rural, and anti-suburban governor will be pushing through the taxpayer funded Baltimore Red Line mass transit route will will go from Baltimore City to Woodlawn which is close to Catonsville. This inevitably will bring crime and more ghetto and undesirable elements from the city into the suburbs. This new rail line will conect some of the worst parts of the inner city (like the parts by West Franklin and Route 40, etc) with the western suburbs. The Light Rail and the Baltimore Metro have had terrible and destructive effects on Owings Mills, Cockeysville, Hunt Valley, and Linthicum and other suburban areas in Baltimore County and Anne Arundel County. .
All BS, should be taken with a grain of paying no attention to it at all.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 15,697 times
Catonsville is black--it never used to be; it really is a "tide" rolling out from West Baltimore. KofC was doing a great job, long-lived and expected traditions; but--as individuals are dying out--the local grocery replaced by county social services offices; assisted back-to-work group homes on every sidestreet; sidewalks chafed by loitering homeless; restaurants whoring to the next population--wantin' their crabs. What do you want for your childrens' futures? I've come home tonight to dudes with their pants around their knees selling crack on the street right out front. It's a transient neighborhood at best--maybe América del Sur can save us? Catonsville used to be "Music City"--it may as well be now "nails & rats." EVERYPLACE has been co-opted; you decide. You want to know what it's like on the street right now? White flight! Whoa--I just saw this, re-reading: KofC vs. KFC--TOO FUNNY!

Old 10-18-2012, 07:19 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Um. OK.

I don't live in Catonsville, but we go there a fair amount. I know people with kids who do live there. We looked hard at it but couldn't find the right house, and in some ways I wish we'd been able to find one because the area still has a lot of appeal to me. It is walkable in a way Howard County is NOT, the 4th of July parade is a dream, and there is an overall community feel. I have heard that some of the schools are getting pretty crowded, so you may want to pick carefully. It does have some rough elements here and there, but it also has the tire park in the Patapsco Hilton area, and who doesn't want that? I've been there at all hours (hello 24 hour Animal Hospital of Catonsville!) and had no problems.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 33,734 times
I'm from the east side, so I never liked Catonsville, which is west side. But I didn't like when it was white, so I don't agree with all the posts about how it used to be good, but now it's black. This is the 21st century, people! Your racist notions have no place here.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:01 AM

7 posts, read 43,268 times
Default It depends where you live

I say it depends because catonsville is pretty safe it's just that few people give it negative views because they get stuck on seeing the outskirts of Catonsville which is really Woodlawn

Old 05-13-2014, 12:04 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Catonsville seemed alright to me. Love the more hilly side getting near Ellicott City.

I'll take it that there must have been parts that I simply did not see. But the downtown streets with the 'Music City' signage here and there, seemed pleasant to me.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:18 AM

265 posts, read 509,252 times
Lived in Catonsville for 18yrs and seen the change from a nice town to an ok town. There's so much traffic, crime is on the rise and shady areas. Gangs or wanna be gangs, lots of home breakins and stolen cars reported. Lots of homeless on the street corners begging for food esp on Rt 40 by the Double T Diner. I was in the Safeway parking lot going to my car and 2 homeless people came out of who knows where trying to get me to give them money. Looked like they need a fix for their drug addiction. There are a few homeless people with their carts who travel up Rt 40 to W. Baltimore. That's sad but it makes the area not a good place to live. One good thing, the police seem to patrol the different areas a lot.
Catonsville does have it nice parts, downtown but I am ready to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland