Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 03:36 PM

334 posts, read 1,497,435 times

Advertisements

We are once again contemplating a move to Maryland, and I think I have our home search down to two places: Ellicott City and Havre de Grace. Both seem quaint and have character, and hopefully both have a similar length commute to Notre Dame.

Since I have not lived in the state, and have only made short trips to visit, I was hoping I could get some opinions of both places from people who know more than me, lol.

We have children in elementary and middle school, so schools are important, as is the relative safety/ low crime, recreation, shopping , entertainment, etc.

Perhaps pros and cons of each place might be a good place to start.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 06:44 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl45 View Post
We are once again contemplating a move to Maryland, and I think I have our home search down to two places: Ellicott City and Havre de Grace. Both seem quaint and have character, and hopefully both have a similar length commute to Notre Dame.
If you mean the Notre Dame of Maryland University at 4701 North Charles, the distance to Havre de Grace is substantially further. Google maps puts it at 39 miles or 57 minutes. I'd consider that out of the question if the commuter has school age children. HdG is a charming town, and I love it, but is the charm worth that much of a commute?

Ellicott City is much closer, at 14.7 miles and 33 minutes. Further, EC has excellent schools, good shopping and decent recreational opportunities.

If you like older homes, you could also look at living in a Baltimore neighborhood like Homeland, Mount Washington or Roland Park. You would probably want to consider private schools there, but the neighborhoods are very interesting and relatively safe.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-15-2012 at 07:16 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Yeah HdG is probably too far.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl45 View Post
I have our home search down to two places: Ellicott City and Havre de Grace.
...both have a similar length commute to Notre Dame.
Yeah, they do: a commute that is far longer than practical.
Keep looking. Focus on the I-83 corridor or the ND neighborhood itself.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yeah, they do: a commute that is far longer than practical.
Keep looking. Focus on the I-83 corridor or the ND neighborhood itself.
Agreed. Even Ellicott City to Notre Dame is not a great commute. There are no highways, and you zig-zag through city street to get there.

North of the city in the I-83 corridor give you a better commute. There are some very good schools in the Hunt Valley area of Baltimore County, such as the Jacksonville Elementary School in Phoenix, MD.

Even if you thought the commute to Havre de Grace was feasible, the schools are more average that excellent.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you mean the Notre Dame of Maryland University at 4701 North Charles, the distance to Havre de Grace is substantially further. Google maps puts it at 39 miles or 57 minutes. I'd consider that out of the question if the commuter has school age children. HdG is a charming town, and I love it, but is the charm worth that much of a commute?

Ellicott City is much closer, at 14.7 miles and 33 minutes. Further, EC has excellent schools, good shopping and decent recreational opportunities.

If you like older homes, you could also look at living in a Baltimore neighborhood like Homeland, Mount Washington or Roland Park. You would probably want to consider private schools there, but the neighborhoods are very interesting and relatively safe.
Short answer.

Yes, it is very much worth the commute.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Agreed. Even Ellicott City to Notre Dame is not a great commute. There are no highways, and you zig-zag through city street to get there.

North of the city in the I-83 corridor give you a better commute. There are some very good schools in the Hunt Valley area of Baltimore County, such as the Jacksonville Elementary School in Phoenix, MD.

Even if you thought the commute to Havre de Grace was feasible, the schools are more average that excellent.
I don't what you're talking about.

I know from personal experience that Harford County schools are excellent overall.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I don't what you're talking about.

I know from personal experience that Harford County schools are excellent overall.
I just go by objective ratings. Greatschools.org has Havre de Grace Elementary School rated a 4 of 10, the HdG Middle School rated 6 of 10, and hdG High School rated 5 of 10. That's what I'd call average. Maybe overall, the Harford County are excellent, but I don't have experience with them. There are better rated schools in Harford County.

I'd prefer to leave it up to the original posters whether they think the commute from HdG is worth it.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-16-2012 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-16-2012, 02:23 PM

334 posts, read 1,497,435 times
Bel aire seems to have good schools, and shopping. But I think it has a longer commute. Maybe I am wrong since I only have Google maps to go by. The drive is certainly pretty once you get out of the city.

I think the problem with the school ratings in Havre de Grace might have less to do with the teaching level, and more to do with the turn over of students due to the proving grounds feed. This can affect test scores when students don't have consistent ciriculum with other states.

But then what do I know!?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 AM

108 posts, read 184,240 times
From all of my co-workers, the schools here in Havre de Grace are excellent. We are SROs assigned to the schools and from daily experience, these schools are awesome. They have their issues like any other school, some more than others, but overall, they are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland