Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,432 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to Severn soon. Our new place is on Severn Road, a short distance east of Ridge Road.

We were looking for a bigger place, closer to work, in a safe area. We hit the nail on the head on the first two (our place is over twice the size of our current apartment and only about 10 minutes from work), and we thought we were okay on the third, because it seemed like a nice enough area when we went to look at the house. But after reading some of the posts on here about Severn, I'm not so sure.

Our current place is in University Park, and I never found it particularly safe. Anybody that knows anything about University Park will probably raise their eyebrows when I say that. University Park is a nice, affluent town, and is one of the best places to live in Prince George's County. It overall is a safe place to live. But I live on the edge of town, near Baltimore Avenue and East-West Highway, which isn't too far from some sketchy parts of Riverdale.

Anyhow, what does everybody think of the area I'm moving to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_51 View Post
Anyhow, what does everybody think of the area I'm moving to?
I suspect the reports on this board on Severn are exaggerated. I used a spotcrime map of the area. For the past two months there were two attempted robberies, eg:
Robbery 10/12/2012
DISNEY ROAD AND PONDEROSA DRIVE
The Victim Was Approached From Behind And Physically Assaulted By Two Male Suspects, Who Forcibly Removed His Cell Phone

and

Robbery 11/28/2012
82XX CLEARWATER COURT
Attempted Robbery

Also one store attempt at Arundel Mills Mall.

I'd suggest not walking alone in the evening, and avoiding areas with shady characters hanging around. But, Severn doesn't sound exceptionally dangerous for the DC area.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM

30 posts, read 71,251 times
We currently live in a neighborhood that borders both Severn Rd and Ridge Rd. There are a lot of families in our neighborhood, and generally everyone is pretty nice and looks out for each other. There was a shooting in our neighborhood this past summer - a graduation party where the kids were drinking and apparently someone brought a gun - but that is the only shooting I know of. I don't know of any robberies, and we've never even had a package stolen off the porch. I'll admit we're hoping to move to a better school district soon, but the area isn't too bad. Nothing to be scared of as long as you stay smart and lock car/house doors, call the kids in when it gets dark, maintain communication with the neighbors, etc.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,863 times
Please do a back round check on your landlord. There is a landlord who own a lot of houses on pioneer drive and lie about who own the properties because he is not suppose to be renting homes in the area.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:39 PM

132 posts, read 325,159 times
The last time I lived in Maryland ages ago before moving back here, I lived in Severn near Ridge road. Severn is not a bad place at all. Its a small family oriented town. If you have kids and schools are a priority, then one thing you may not like about that area is that it feeds into Meade High School. But in my opinion, do not be turned off by Meade High, or the neighborhood. Severn is like any middle class town. Its just fine to live there, and Meade is not bad, like some people make it out to be. Every town and school has its flaws, and Severn/Meade is no different. So if you really like your new house, I would stay with Severn. I promise it will be fine, and I promise your kids will be fine in the Meade schools (if you have them).

Old 09-17-2014, 06:12 AM

14 posts, read 25,836 times
I used to live in Quail Run, just a little bit down Severn Rd. from you. I also work for the FD that serves that area. There are hot beds of activity around Severn. The Provinces have their issues but no as much as Meade Village & Pioneer City. The thing I did not like while living here was as soon as you got to know your neighbors, they move. I guess the proximity to Ft. Meade lends itself to a transient population.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:47 PM

126 posts, read 423,285 times
Very transient population as quincy stated. You just need to be smart with folks walking around the neighborhood who look like they don't belong. AACO PD is really good about sending a squad car around to check out folks who are just wandering a neighborhood trying to peddle things.

There was a shooting out that way last year, a drive-by if I recall correctly. Just be smart and watch yourself at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: