Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
I would venture to guess, based on my multiple college experiences at drastically different schools, that most students who attend a college that is in a larger metro area vs a more rural area lack the full college experience that I imagine you are referring to.

Not all students are looking for that experience, though. There is nothing wrong with having colleges in rural areas and more suburban or urban areas. Variety is nice. Let the students pick which works for them. Sometimes there are other things more important to a student than "the college experience". Sometimes you need to be near decent internship opportunities (often not found near colleges in towns with the most abundant "college experience"), or family, or a place of residence, or outstanding medical care, etc.
You can say that again. I think the whole "college experience" thing is overblown. What the heck is so important about something that lasts only 3 - 4 years of a person's life?

I got an undergrad degree in Electrical Engineering from UMCP. All I remember is how hard I had to bust my butt studying during that time. It was the most challenging thing I've done. However, that degree has landed me a career where I'm making a six-figure income. I finally have the freedom and flexibility to live the life that I want, for the most part. If you ask me, that's all that really matters in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
I had a blast in college, but moving to a place like Federal Hill after college makes college ending not so depressing. Nothing beats getting home from work and not having the looming homework cloud. That's why cities are soaring again, kids graduate and want to keep having fun. Plus when you went to Towson, most of your friends end up in Fed or Canton.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:03 PM

137 posts, read 277,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You can say that again. I think the whole "college experience" thing is overblown. What the heck is so important about something that lasts only 3 - 4 years of a person's life?

I got an undergrad degree in Electrical Engineering from UMCP. All I remember is how hard I had to bust my butt studying during that time. It was the most challenging thing I've done. However, that degree has landed me a career where I'm making a six-figure income. I finally have the freedom and flexibility to live the life that I want, for the most part. If you ask me, that's all that really matters in the end.
i tend to agree with you. i actually think college is oversold to students coming out of high school. it doesn't have to be the only way to get a job or enjoy life. i'm glad i did it and got it over with because if i ever want to go to grad school, i don't have to go back and do 4 years first, but i also don't think college is for everyone and think some people might be better served working a few years out of high school first. otherwise, they may not do well and, let's not forget college is not cheap. some students come out with massive debt that can take 20-30 years to pay off. in some cases, it might be best for someone to skip the "college experience" and go when they're ready.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
College Park is getting turned inside out over the next few years. Most probably won't recognize it:

Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM

14 posts, read 33,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I do agree that the location of Maryland is sucks, especially when you compare it to other campuses in the ACC, even though Maryland is now leaving the ACC. But it is what it is, and it's not going to change, though we can hope that Rte 1 continues to improve.

I often wish as a Maryland sports fan that the University of Maryland was in Towson because the area is so nice, and I think the Maryland sports would be more heavily supported if they were in the Baltimore Metro, as opposed to DC where so many people are transplants or live in VA. But as a Towson Grad, I think their campus, location, and new commitment to sports leaves their possibilities endless.
The Big 10 will do nothing to improve the University of Maryland at College Park, except that alumni of Big 10 schools from the Midwest (who usually reside in D.C. and Northern Virginia) will crowd in to Byrd Stadium when their teams show up to pulverize the Terrapin football teams 65 to 3.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 PM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
I agree.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
College Park is getting turned inside out over the next few years. Most probably won't recognize it:
Woah, those are some designs, indeed. Thanks for sharing the photos. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 AM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Woah, those are some designs, indeed. Thanks for sharing the photos. Can't wait to see the finished product.
I'm excited to see a better College Park as well. Having been to many, many college towns across the county, College Park is probably the worst (and I am a UMD alum).

I've always thought Towson was a pretty good model of what an urban college town environment could/should be like.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coward Robert Ford View Post
I think the university should move out to Hagerstown or Frederick. college park is kind of a bad neighborhood and i think a lot of maryland students end up gong out of state to va tech or elsewhere b/c they want the college town experience. i thnk it would be good for both towns espeically hagerstown if the university was located out there.

the idea of all those pretentious liberal kids at U. of Maryland living in hagerstown for 4 years makes me smile.

let me know what you think.
They should definitely keep University of Maryland - College Park. I quite like the area.

But, another campus, University of Maryland - Hagerstown, sounds like a great idea. It would be a fairly ideal college town, and contribue to the community of Hagerstown.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 AM

596 posts, read 937,683 times
I don't think a U. of Maryland - Hagerstown would work, it needs to be the main one or enrollment will be small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland