Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post

Also MD is pretty big on speed enforcement and has pretty low speed limits compared to other states. Most of the left lane laws ive seen are in places that are rural, had high speed limits, and less enforcement. Also these laws work better on highways with 2 lanes in each direction.
MD is not big on speed enforcement anymore, if they ever were. I drive a lot throughout this state and rarely ever see the cops anymore. If they're big on it, it must be in places I don't go to often, like the Eastern shore, or Western MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
MD is not big on speed enforcement anymore, if they ever were. I drive a lot throughout this state and rarely ever see the cops anymore. If they're big on it, it must be in places I don't go to often, like the Eastern shore, or Western MD.
These are the only places I've been pulled over in recent years.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,612 times
Well the camera's may have replaced troopers in the more congested areas. But I do see lots of troopers in Western MD.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM

87 posts, read 119,528 times
Quote:
This doesn't make any sense. A Highway has a certain capacity to move traffic. Backups are caused when either the capacity is reduced because of an accident or weather conditions, or the number of cars exceed the capacity.
I do not believe the capacity of a highway is affected by passing lane rules. In fact it should increase by allowing faster through-put on the left lane.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I've lived in both Western MD and the Eastern Shore, among other parts of MD. That is precisely where they are, in droves.

On the Eastern Shore, I've very literally seen them even up in the trees (one guy in a utility truck with the bucket up by the power cords / tree tops -- not sure what that is called -- holding a radar gun and another cop in a car on the street ready to fly after you when the guy with the radar gun snags you going too fast).

In Western MD, they love hiding in tree-lined ditches and on on-ramps aiming their radar towards the highway.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM

581 posts, read 1,172,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin C View Post
I do not believe the capacity of a highway is affected by passing lane rules. In fact it should increase by allowing faster through-put on the left lane.
again, this doesn't make any sense in rush hour traffic when the road is being used above it's capacity, all the lanes are full and traffic is crawling in all of them and the law cannot be enforced.

When the road is not being used at capacity, passing lane laws will have no effect on total throughput since there are potentially 3 other lanes for drivers to use.

I think some "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs would be better than any more laws.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
When the road is not being used at capacity, passing lane laws will have no effect on total throughput since there are potentially 3 other lanes for drivers to use.
I disagree. Having faster throughput on the left lane will mean more cars handled for the same density of traffic. In other words the capacity of the road will be increased before it maxes out.

Quote:
I think some "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs would be better than any more laws.
Totally agree with you. However a law will probably be required in order for signs to come up.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,862 times
Keep in mind that going slow is relative. If going the speed limit on the left lane is considered a nuisance, then you might have to re-evaluate yourself just a little bit.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:56 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
If going the speed limit in the left lane is considered a nuisance,
then you might have to re-evaluate yourself just a little bit.
When traffic is light on I-95 (like most eastern highways) the left lane can be running at 10-20mph above posted.
The other 20 hours of each day it's closer to 10-20mh below posted.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 AM

that is true. On some clear summer days there are times when all the traffic I am in on the I-95 is driving above the speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland