Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,095 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've got a variety of questions concerning moving to Annapolis. I am a single male about to turn 27 and currently reside in Arlington, VA and will need to commute to downtown DC (McPherson Sq) for work. I have seriously been researching living on a boat and have been spending a lot of time on yachtworld reviewing mid 80's 35-40' Power boats for sale. The boat would have all the amenities of a studio apartment. Our family had a 28' sailboat when I was younger on Kent Island, so I am familiar with boats and I am very aware of the challenges of living aboard in the winter. Unfortunately, it's basically impossible to get a slip at Gangplank Marina in DC, so my only option for a fun location is Annapolis. I have a very active social life in DC and I am hesitant to move to Annapolis for fear of this evaporating. I am planning to dock at one of the marinas right downtown, so I can walk to everything.

1. Am I going to get bored with the nightlife in Annapolis? Are there lots of people in their 20's out at downtown bars? Are the nightlife spots sleepy restaurants with a few locals drinking at the bar or can I expect a crowd like something I'd find in Georgetown or Dupont? Does Annapolis have social sport leagues etc. like DC does?

2. Are people going to think I'm homeless when I say I live on a boat? I make great money for my age, so it is not a money saving decision. I get the impression that most people think living on a boat is cheap and basically free, when in reality a slip downtown and all the associated boat costs will likely cost me more than an apartment rental. Basically... how is this choice going to impact my dating life with girls?

3. How accurate are the 922 and 950 commuter bus schedules? I am perfectly fine with the ~1hr commute that the schedules show, but are they reliable? I am looking to catch the later 7-730am and the 5-6PM buses. Do they ever fill up to the point where I won't get a seat?

Thanks for the insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typark View Post
...so I am familiar with boats and I am very aware of the challenges of living aboard in the winter.
...Am I going to get bored with the nightlife in Annapolis?
How about renting ashore in Annapolis for a year and learning about this for yourelf...
before shelling out the money to buy the 30 year old toy?

Quote:
How accurate are the 922 and 950 commuter bus schedules?
Maybe you just need to live closer to work for another couple of years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: