Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:33 PM

86 posts, read 150,830 times

Advertisements

My partner had a quick business trip a few years ago to the "Hunt Valley" area and thought it looked nice. can you tell me anything about it? many thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander62 View Post
My partner had a quick business trip a few years ago to the "Hunt Valley" area and thought it looked nice. can you tell me anything about it? many thanks again!
It is an affluent, mostly a family-oriented area. It has a new Wegman's which is very busy. The BMW and Volvo dealers are here. There are some nice condo complexes on the hills. The housing is mostly new.

If you are interested in housing with a little more character in Baltimore County, look at Mt Washington, Ruxton, or Rodgers Forge.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 811 times
Take a look at Ellicott City in Howard County. It is active year round with a delightful small town feel, but with plenty of amenities. Near by Columbia has all the stores you mention. Ellicott City is steeped in history and almost looks like a little English village. (I would know)It has great restaurants, quirky shopping and nightlife. There are some excellent 55+ communities too. We have tons of parkland for hiking, biking and general play. Baltimore is 20 minutes away with a good gay scene, DC is 40 minutes to the south with all the culture you would need.
Beach is 2.5 hours and mountains and skiing an hour away. I blog a lot about Howard County and I would be more than happy to help you find a home here. Visit my website at Ellie Mcintire & The McIntire Team for a full picture of Howard County.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,007 times
I think Rehoboth is worth a second look. I don't think it's as sleepy as you might think, and they have great restaurants there. In addition, there is a nice community feel there and you would surely meet a lot of people.

Mount Washington in Baltimore might also be a good fit. The neighborhood has character, nice houses, a mix of people, a small village area, and a Whole Foods. It's about a 10 minute drive to both Towson and downtown Baltimore, and about 15 minutes from Hunt Valley.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 AM

One thing to note is that the climate won't be *that* much different from Massachusetts if you live in central Maryland. Maryland can still get very cold in the winter, and it has its share of snowstorms. But the humidity in the summer is worse in Maryland, and the stretches of oppressive heat last longer there, too.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:59 AM

Thats again for all of the great imput. It really does help. I have heard the humidy in MD will be more than we are used to. I grew up in NJ, on the shore, so I am somewhat familiar. Family, friends and "real" pizza would be a draw back to that area. Although we do not know anyone in MD, we do have many friends in PA and NJ. it would be nice to be closer to them ( just not too close....
Mt Washington look cool. We will for sure add that to the list to visit this spring. Are there any "negatives' anyone can think of? Is there anything special to be aware of tax wise etc vs the balance of Maryland? I saw some condos on the web called "Waterford" at Quarry lake..anyone know anything about these or its proximity to the shopping in Mt Washington? Again many thanks!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:15 AM

Property taxes in Baltimore City are very high. Mount Washington is on the border of Baltimore City and Baltimore County, so you would pay a lot less in taxes if you bought in the county. Most of Mount Washington, including the village, is in the City. The apartments around Quarry Lake look nice. They are in the county, and right off the beltway. There are some shops and restaurants at Quarry Lake, too, including a Starbucks and a Fresh Market grocery store.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:39 AM

One of the reasons we are staying away from returning to NJ are the very high property taxes. I guess we would be better served to be in baltimore county as you say, and stay away from properties in the city. Are there any other areas in that general area you would suggest that are not in the city?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:50 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander62 View Post
... I guess we would be better served to be in baltimore county as you say, and stay away from properties in the city. Are there any other areas in that general area you would suggest that are not in the city?
You have already spotted some of the nicest areas of Baltimore County, which are in the north and Northwest. I also liked the looks of the Quarry Lake high-rises. They are a bit expensive, but could be worth it for you. A real-estate search on condos might also turn up some with water-views.

I had not mentioned it before, but you might like Havre de Grace in Harford County. The old part of town is on the Susquehanna, and it has some condos with great views of the river. You would do some driving to get to good shopping at White Marsh Mall, and it's about 38 miles to Baltimore. It is close to I-95 to visit people in NJ.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:58 AM

My guess is that things like car insurance will also be less in the "county" portion of baltimore vs the city portion of Mt Washington?
Anyone know if there are large variations in state income taxes in MD. In massachusetts it is 5.3% no matter where in the state you live, however I know some states have " local" income taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland