Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,050 posts, read 7,435,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Lincoln's assassin, John Wilkes Booth, was a native of Bel Air, in northern MD. He was helped by the Surratt family of Clinton, MD, and others including Thomas Jones, a smuggler of Port Tobacco MD, who refused to turn in Booth to Federal authorities for a $10,000 reward.

The first bloodshed of the Civil War was by Baltimoreans shooting Union soldiers from Boston, as they marched a mile between stations in Baltimore to transfer trains, en route to (I think) Fort Sumter, SC. There is a small museum all about this (in the little italy section).

In all of Prince Georges County, Abraham Lincoln received only one vote for President. It was thought to be cast by Dr. John Bayne of Oxon Hill, the founder of the Univ. of Md.

Baltimore during the war was placed under martial law by Federal authorities, and its Mayor was imprisoned at Fort McHenry for his pro-Confederate sympathies (Ironically, he was a relative of Francis Scott Key).

There is a Confederate soldier statue today outside the court house in Rockville, MD, and a Robert E. Lee park / statue in north Baltimore. Sons of Confederate Veterans today has 3 chapters in MD, including one in western MD.
All fine and dandy, but this is 2013. Almost no one by current Maryland standards considers the state or themselves southern. Go to a street corner in West Baltimore and ask the people how they like living "down south" then see how they look at you. The south starts somewhere around Fredericksburg, VA and below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 AM

39 posts, read 92,760 times
Why does the South have such a bad connotation? (OK, I know the answer to my own question) "Southerness" gets such a bad rap and most of the people criticizing it probably haven't even been there.

Yes, Maryland is in the South.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 AM

607 posts, read 1,365,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky93 View Post
Why does the South have such a bad connotation? (OK, I know the answer to my own question) "Southerness" gets such a bad rap and most of the people criticizing it probably haven't even been there.

Yes, Maryland is in the South.
Maryland residents usually don't consider themselves part of the South because it has nothing in common with most of the South. Its climate is cooler than most of the South, Baltimore is a quintessential Northeastern city in terms of architecture and its working class/lower middle class population, Maryland residents have a non-Southern accent (Baltimore residents have their own residents, most of us really lack no discernible accent due to the influence of DC), and it is politically very blue in the suburbs (of course the rural areas will generally always vote Republican and urban centers will generally vote Democrat). Doesn't sound like the South to me.

The cultural South begins in the southern fringes of NoVA, in my opinion.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM

10,130 posts, read 15,805,843 times
I think Maryland historically was Southern but culturally and politically isn't as much anymore. Especially with the radical liberal left turn in the past 2 years with illegal immigration, the gas tax, the alcohol tax, the flush tax, the wind power tax, the income tax increases and with gun control and of course the death penalty.

Culturally I still think the Eastern Shore is Southern and to a lesser extent parts of eastern Baltimore County, parts of Anne Arundel County. Carroll County actually feels culturally less southern despite being country, but that is where I've seen the most Confederate flags, though I've seen it in other parts of the state too.

I think West Virginia actually is a true hybrid/border state, with the northern part like Morgantown and Fairmont having a very northern feel while Charleston and Buckhannon feel more Southern.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,387,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Maryland residents usually don't consider themselves part of the South because it has nothing in common with most of the South. Its climate is cooler than most of the South, Baltimore is a quintessential Northeastern city in terms of architecture and its working class/lower middle class population, Maryland residents have a non-Southern accent (Baltimore residents have their own residents, most of us really lack no discernible accent due to the influence of DC), and it is politically very blue in the suburbs (of course the rural areas will generally always vote Republican and urban centers will generally vote Democrat). Doesn't sound like the South to me.

The cultural South begins in the southern fringes of NoVA, in my opinion.
Opinions against Maryland being Southern will not ever change the Fact tat Maryland is a Southern State....

Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,163,280 times
I love reading this $mk8795 kids posts. They are literally carbon copies of one another.

They always have something to the effect of......."The FACT that Maryland is a southern state."

Kid.....have you ever wondered why you have to fight so hard on this one? You've argued this point on tons of threads and it never works out for you.....take a hint.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:20 PM

799 posts, read 1,421,352 times
While he/she is a bit extreme he/she has a point at times because to alot of people that are not apart of D.C. and Baltimore's influence in Maryland they see themselves as southern

Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 AM

6 posts, read 13,437 times
Maryland is southern and the mason Dixon line. a lot of rednecks that don't care for Yankees etc

Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 AM

6 posts, read 13,437 times
I cam from Virginia and that state is friendly. Salisbury md is not. if they see you its hello and that's it, no matter how long you have lived near them and tried to be friendly.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,629,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywoman127 View Post
Maryland is southern and the mason Dixon line. a lot of rednecks that don't care for Yankees etc
The Mason-Dixon is not a good way to determine whether an area is Southern or not. The line wasn't created to separate the South from the North, it was to solve a dispute between British colonies. Baltimore feels more like Philadelphia than Raleigh. Marylanders felt that their boundary was further north that includes Philadelphia and Pennsylvania felt their border was further south that includes Baltimore.

Anyway this topic has been beaten to death and there is no end to the discussion. I don't understand why people continue to create new posts about the same thing repeatedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywoman127 View Post
I cam from Virginia and that state is friendly. Salisbury md is not. if they see you its hello and that's it, no matter how long you have lived near them and tried to be friendly.
If people were not friendly, they wouldn't say anything at all. I would stop at hello as well. If there isn't much of a connection or an interest, why force it? I get annoyed when people are constantly trying to force a conversation as if they can't get a clue that I'm not interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland