Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times

Advertisements

MPT did a nice hour long documentary on Cumberland as part of their "Our Town" series. The show is not a complete tour of the city, but instead focuses on allowing individuals to tell their stories about the city, county, and region.

It shows a side of Cumberland many people don't know exists, and focuses as much on where we are going as where we have been.

The streaming video is available here.

Video: Our Town: Cumberland | Watch MPT Specials Online | mpt/Maryland Public Television Video

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 05:01 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
I saw that on MPT, didn't like it, it was so sickeningly self promoting. I guess the Cumberland Chamber of Commerce is bribing MPT now to put on infomercials for towns. When I saw it on the listings, I was excited and made a point to watch it because a good unbiased documentary about the history of Cumberland and its problems would really interest me. It was basically an ad, I felt embarassed for William H Macy that his once great career devolved to this.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:58 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I saw that on MPT, didn't like it, it was so sickeningly self promoting. I guess the Cumberland Chamber of Commerce is bribing MPT now to put on infomercials for towns. When I saw it on the listings, I was excited and made a point to watch it because a good unbiased documentary about the history of Cumberland and its problems would really interest me. It was basically an ad, I felt embarassed for William H Macy that his once great career devolved to this.

You don't watch these kinds of shows much, do you?

Old 03-28-2013, 11:30 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
It is the "Our Town" series, not "Frontline."

I have heard locals say roughly the same; that the show was skewed towards downtown and the arts/tourism scene. I think that is fair critique. I would have liked to seen more about the city's neighborhoods, South End especially since it is the part of town where there is still an active blue-collar business, CSX. I think they should have had some interviews/footage of the mainline rail operations, not just the scenic railroad.

As for Mr. Macy, I assure you, this was a labor of love. Mr. Macy is from Cumberland, he still comes back to visit several times a year, and is always available for TV specials, tourism promotions, and so forth. He is a great representative for our town, and has never forgotten where he is from. MPT asked him to be the host of the show, he agreed, they flew that banner and everything else out to CA so he could shoot his scenes right before post production.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
I watched it and thought it was good. MPT has done these on Chestertown and Hagerstown as well. I thought the Cumberland one was the best yet.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:04 PM

389 posts, read 797,151 times
Definitely a good watch for the many people on this forum who don't have a clue what Allegany County is like. Watching this reminded me of all the things I loved growing up there. We've really got a nice town with a lot going for it. Unfortunately, we're still waiting on that economic development idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland