Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:10 PM

87 posts, read 119,500 times

Advertisements

Hopefully molukai understood me better than you did.

I certainly didn't make the assertion you claim. All I said is we use government services - that we paid for - every day. It needs our taxes to run and sometimes it needs more than we're giving it. Doesn't mean that we just give more money blindly, or not ask for better use of it. molukai certainly has good reason to complain. What is disconcerting is this notion of tax rises being a fate worse than death.

The government is like an SUV - it is not the most efficient car around. There are too many vested interests on either side to get it to run more efficiently, but it still has to run. Voting for lower taxes is simply not going to help. We have to give our representatives the right incentive to make the decisions that will save money in the long term. Every one of our representatives say they want to cut costs but few will stick out their necks to do so.

Last edited by Calvin C; 03-29-2013 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 02:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin C View Post
Hopefully molukai understood me better than you did.

I certainly didn't make the assertion you claim. All I said is we use government services - that we paid for - every day. It needs our taxes to run and sometimes it needs more than we're giving it. Doesn't mean that we just give more money blindly, or not ask for better use of it. molukai certainly has good reason to complain. What is disconcerting is this notion of tax rises being a fate worse than death.

The government is like an SUV - it is not the most efficient car around. There are too many vested interests on either side to get it to run more efficiently, but it still has to run. Voting for lower taxes is simply not going to help. We have to give our representatives the right incentive to make the decisions that will save money in the long term. Every one of our representatives say they want to cut costs but few will stick out their necks to do so.
I understood you quite well. First, you come forth and apologize for Martin O'Malley through some roundabout theory that we "take for granted" the philosophy that more taxes are better for the common good, and then when someone comes along and demonstrates to you that your kow-towing to the O'Malley tax-and-spend regime is severely misguided, you return the favor by calling it a "rant."

You're not any different than any other liberal in this state or on this forum. And that's precisely why you will continue to get called out for the idiocy.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 PM

Whatever you say, man.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Calvin C, have you ever been to Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Louisiana, Kansas or Missouri??? ALL of these states have lower taxes and are not falling apart.

No liberal has ever been able to explain to me why it will cost $8 to crosss Baltimore Harbor next year when much longer bridges and tunnels in South Carolina, Georgia, Colorado, or Louisiana or Florida are much cheaper or even free. Nobody can explain how South Carolina and Georgia have very low gas taxes yet their roads, bridges, tunnels, and highways are just fine.

Oh yes and Atlanta and Dallas are expected to pay for their own mass transit, even Northern Virginia does.....but Montgomery County and Baltimore City are subsidized by rural Marylanders.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:52 PM

Tom Lennox 70, I can't argue with you there. I do not know enough about those states so you may be right. It will be great to find out where the differences are.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:07 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
The gas tax increase was just approved. No lockbox.

One little known piece of it is that is zeroes out the County and municipality portion of Highway User Revenue they used to receive. What that means is that the locals will have to build and maintain local roads that the State has mandated be built or upgraded.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
but Montgomery County and Baltimore City are subsidized by rural Marylanders.
Except for all that welfare money that we send to the rural parts of the state. Keep believing this if you want to, but Montgomery County is the economic driver in Maryland. Without it, the state's finances fall apart.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:28 PM

607 posts, read 1,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Except for all that welfare money that we send to the rural parts of the state. Keep believing this if you want to, but Montgomery County is the economic driver in Maryland. Without it, the state's finances fall apart.
Exactly. Maryland honestly wouldn't do that well without Montgomery County - the closest county in line would be HoCo but it's not as much of an economic asset as MoCo.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Calvin C, have you ever been to Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Louisiana, Kansas or Missouri??? ALL of these states have lower taxes and are not falling apart.

No liberal has ever been able to explain to me why it will cost $8 to crosss Baltimore Harbor next year when much longer bridges and tunnels in South Carolina, Georgia, Colorado, or Louisiana or Florida are much cheaper or even free. Nobody can explain how South Carolina and Georgia have very low gas taxes yet their roads, bridges, tunnels, and highways are just fine.

Oh yes and Atlanta and Dallas are expected to pay for their own mass transit, even Northern Virginia does.....but Montgomery County and Baltimore City are subsidized by rural Marylanders.
I think South Carolina roads are garbage. Georgia roads are decent but poorly designed and the traffic in the Atlanta area is awful makes my point. Louisiana is listed as one of the worst roads in the country.

The Worst Roads in the U.S. - Yahoo! Finance

Louisiana Roads & Bridges among Worst in Nation

Old 03-30-2013, 12:58 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Montgomery County is almost completely dependent on federal government jobs and spending which will be affected by the sequester. There is almost no private sector business there that is not related to government contracting.

Yet the MoCo liberals will not allow the rest of the state to develop its industries. PlanMaryland bans all population growth on the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland. The liberals from MoCo pass strangling laws against natrual gas drilling, coal mining, farming, fishing, and commercial/residential development statewide. Look at how Western maryland can't frack for natural gas like WV and PA are doing. Look at the ridiculous regulations that farmers on the Shore have to face which farmers in Delaware and Virginia don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland