Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,823 times

Advertisements

Aside from the high taxes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Boy, I sure wish Invader Bryce hadn't been kicked off the boards. Wasn't long ago that he told us all it would never happen.
Awww, he got kicked off? I wondered why he stopped posting.

I'm pretty liberal myself, but Maryland seems to have gone over the edge on things like taxes and gun control. If they were giving normal drivers licenses to illegal immigrants, I'd have a bigger problem with it, but the licenses they are providing are so obviously not drivers licenses for citizens that I'm not sure what the fuss is about. Giving them in-state tuition? What in the hell are they thinking?

However, what I think is the most disheartening about it is that our representatives in Annapolis don't listen to the populace at all. They do whatever O'Malley/Busch/Miller tells them to do and that's that. I emailed my reps 25 times (seriously) this session and finally got back a snide, useless response from one of their admins. My tax dollars pay their salaries, the least they could do is respond to their constituents.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
So you think someone should have a right to choose an abortion, but a health care worker should not have the choice to not participate in the abortion? Now I am a Republican and I believe abortion can be legal, but doctors and nurses should not be forced to perform it like in Maryland despite their reliigous beliefs. And I don't think planned parenthood should get federal funding.

I am conservative overall, but I am the most passionately conservative on taxes, abortion (though like I said it shouldn't be banned), gun control, and illegal immigration. I don't think illegals deserve ANYTHING and think that we should make life as difficult, inconvenient, and uncomfortable as possible for illegals. I also support the death penalty and do not think gas taxes should be used to fund mass transit. I happen to be against the expansion of mass transit into suburban areas as well and am VERY opposed to transit oriented development and increasing density.

I would say I am moderate on gay marriage and the environment. I am okay with the wind farms, but I think at the same time we should also be friendlier to current forms of energy and I do support natural gas fracking in Western Maryland and I don't think the companies should have to pay for those studies

Old 04-11-2013, 04:50 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Giving them in-state tuition? What in the hell are they thinking?
You have benefited from illegal immigrant labor in the US. You have paid less for something - I promise. Even if you don't use Jose's lawn care.

The MD plan has a high burden of proof to show state taxes were paid for years, and covers a two-year community college education. Community Colleges serve the community - affordable college education for all. That is their purpose. Whatever you think of undocumented immigrants as a whole, they are a part of the community, are not going anywhere, and for those who pay taxes, at least this opportunity at equality should be offered.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:42 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Just my two cents, but I'm a registered Democrat and I think our state is way too liberal to be functional.

You also forgot

- Failed education system
The education system in MD for the most part ranks very favorably against the rest of the country.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So you think someone should have a right to choose an abortion, but a health care worker should not have the choice to not participate in the abortion?
Sorry, but there are no "surprise, you have to assist in an abortion" scenarios. If you work for an OB/GYN that provides abortions, you know it from day one and are presumably ok with it. If you don't want to perform an abortion, don't work for an OB/GYN that performs them. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown
You have benefited from illegal immigrant labor in the US. You have paid less for something - I promise. Even if you don't use Jose's lawn care.
Absolutely, there's no way around it. I don't have a lawn, but I eat fruit grown in the US and you better believe every person hunched over the strawberry patch is here illegally.

Just because I have benefited from it doesn't mean I agree with it and I don't think our government should condone it. I feel genuinely bad for the kids of illegal immigrants and support the movement to help get them citizenship. I do NOT support companies hiring illegal workers because they're cheaper and you don't have to pay taxes on them. I do NOT support people coming across the border to pop out babies and then stay here on the government dole because they have a brand new US citizen. I think there's clearly a middle ground in this debate that Maryland has missed entirely.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:48 PM

Maybe there is a need for illegal alien labor in some sectors but not all.

Fruit picking is one thing. But if you go to Montgomery County and go to any fast food restaurant its always filled with illegals working there who don't even speak English. Here in Baltimore County you still see plenty of Americans who clean houses, do construction, fix roofs, etc etc. The Baltimore area actually has few illegals except for Highlandtown and parts of Columbia. I hear there is also an illegal immigration problem on the Eastern Shore with the chicken industry

Old 04-12-2013, 01:33 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,823 times
I do not support government funding for abortion, but it should be 100% legal in my opinion - up until the point of viability. A fetus is not alive until it can survive outside of the mother's body.

Illegal immigrants have helped us greatly. Yes, some have hurt the US in a few ways as well, but if they think America's a better country than their home country, doesn't that help the US' reputation?

There should be stricter gun laws. I do not advocate a full on ban on even all assault weapons, but the way it is now is quite risky imo.

Increasing density is fine. The only problem is the traffic, but honestly, it's still not as bad as NoVA, LA, or NYC so I'm not complaining.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:26 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
I do not support government funding for abortion, but...
I do.

Quote:
Illegal immigrants...
are illegal.

Quote:
There should be stricter gun laws.
They miss the point.

Quote:
Increasing density is fine...
No it isn't.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
I assume you are not a Christian. But even aside from abortion and gay marriage (i'm moderate on gay marraige).....the Democrats/liberals are wrong in all the other issues too.

You honestly do NOT support the death penalty? You are saying if Adam Lanza was captured alive he shouldn't be executed? You won't seek the death penalty for Bin Laden if he was captured alive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland