Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times

Advertisements

It's funny because I have seen a number of people who recently complained about the policies of Martin O'Malley, but I wonder, what exactly were you thinking on election day a year and half ago? You voted for a man, having a 4 year history account of the kind of policies that he creates, his agenda and where he stands with certain issues, and you're saying now, NOW you have an issue with him? Were you just not paying attention the previous 4 years? Oh, that's right you were voting the party lines because you wanted to stay loyal to your party because you simply did not want to vote for anyone else, especially Ehrlich. Well, you got what you wanted. Instead of having the power and freedom of choice, you have allowed yourself to imprisoned by the thoughts that you HAVE TO vote either blue or red. You HAVE TO choose between two parties and look what it has gotten you. Instead of choosing the best candidate, you are being forced-fed into voting the lesser of two bad candidates and this is the supposed to be the land of free? Remember you voted for him, live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,320 times
I can't believe Ehrlich wasn't even re-elected.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:13 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
So you are taking offense to people standing up to their elected leaders simply because they voted for him? What kind of democracy are you looking for here?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
So you are taking offense to people standing up to their elected leaders simply because they voted for him? What kind of democracy are you looking for here?
I'm looking for people to actually use their brain. Don't complain about someone doing something that they already show that they do, yet you still voted for him. If you voted for him, then it obviously wasn't that bad before, so why are you complaining now? I think this just really speaks to the ignorance of how people vote in this country. People vote on party lines all the time, without looking at an individual's policies or background, to see if those things are best for them. Just because they are in your party doesn't mean they are a good candidate for you. People are too lazy to really do the research and understand how voting for that person will ultimately affect them.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,862 times
Just because people voted for a candidate, does not mean that it gives a free pass to that candidate to then do whatever he wants once he is elected. The glory of our country is that we the people can criticize what we perceive as poor decisions made by our elected officials, without fear of persecution.

(And for the record, I was not a Marylander when he was running for office. If I had more political clout, I'd run against him in a heartbeat, as I know I can do a better job being a centrist Democrat. Don't worry, I'm working my way up there.)

Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Just because people voted for a candidate, does not mean that it gives a free pass to that candidate to then do whatever he wants once he is elected. The glory of our country is that we the people can criticize what we perceive as poor decisions made by our elected officials, without fear of persecution.

(And for the record, I was not a Marylander when he was running for office. If I had more political clout, I'd run against him in a heartbeat, as I know I can do a better job being a centrist Democrat. Don't worry, I'm working my way up there.)
Actually, in the case of Maryland and it's solid lock on the House and Senate....the people do in fact give Democrats like O'Malley a "free pass" to do whatever he wants. And for that reason, Maryland voters get what they deserve.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post

But isn't that what you are doing when you re-elect him? If he does all these bad things, but yet you still re-elect him, is that not a free pass to continue those things? Isn't that an approval of his actions?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:07 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,612 times
Maybe if the republican party presented a viable alternative they would be considered. The national party is hurting them. I'm not a fan of O'Malley, but I wouldnt even consider voting for a republican until things change in that party.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:10 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
But isn't that what you are doing when you re-elect him? If he does all these bad things, but yet you still re-elect him, is that not a free pass to continue those things? Isn't that an approval of his actions?
The easy, superficial answer is yes. But the situation is more nuanced than that. People may have valid, legitimate reasons for their behaviors - even if they don't realize it. For example, the current two party dominated system creates a very narrow field of candidates vying for office. Among the choices available, voters choose who they perceive as the 'lesser of two evils', otherwise known as the 'Clothespin Vote'. This is but one of many possibilities as to why people such as O'Malley repeatedly get into power in the state of Maryland.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:44 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
I certainly didn't vote for him. I have a logical basis for complaining.

I'll point out that I read yesterday yet another mention of O'Malley's Presidential aspirations. Liberals in general, and O'Malley specifically, need to get it through their thick skulls that someone who has raised taxes 32 times will not (repeat: NOT) have a snowball chance in hell of winning over a national electorate. Especially a tax-raising pariah who also happens to loathe the 2nd Amendment. He absolutely sealed his political fate with the gun control bill. The final nail on the coffin for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland