Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 05:08 PM

104 posts, read 190,771 times

Advertisements

Recently married couple seeking a home around $350k seeking a realtor who will give us a fair amount of attention despite us not buying a $700k home.

Many of the realtors we've come across so far didn't want much to do with us due to our price range. However, even though we're approved for a good bit more, we want to be financially responsible and live within our means (rather than living house poor).

Can anybody recommend a realtor in this area that you've had a good experience with?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,227 times
It's probably not the price point that is turning them away, rather you're looking at a very broad area.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:22 PM

Is that really considered that broad?

More specifically we're looking for eastern Frederick County, northern Howard County, and northern/western Anne Arundel.

This doesn't seem like that big of a geographic area to me. From Pasadena (Anne Arundel) to Mt. Airy (Frederick County) it is less than 45 miles.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:50 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
It may not seem like a big area but it is several distinct markets. I'm curious as to the reason for such a broad approach. Most people center their house search on where their job is located. Where will you be commuting to?

I actually looked at that same range of options about 25 years ago when I was moving back in the area. At the time I was starting work in Silver Spring and my commuting limit was 'about 1 hour'. Oh we used 3 different agents when we were looking. One for Anne Arundel and Southern Howard County, one for Northern Howard and Carroll County and one in the Frederick Area. Two of them (AA and FredCo) were with different branches of the the same Chain/Franchise. The Agent in AACo had recommended the other to us when we wanted to look in Frederick because he didn't know that area well.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
It may not seem like a big area but it is several distinct markets. I'm curious as to the reason for such a broad approach. Most people center their house search on where their job is located. Where will you be commuting to?

I actually looked at that same range of options about 25 years ago when I was moving back in the area. At the time I was starting work in Silver Spring and my commuting limit was 'about 1 hour'. Oh we used 3 different agents when we were looking. One for Anne Arundel and Southern Howard County, one for Northern Howard and Carroll County and one in the Frederick Area. Two of them (AA and FredCo) were with different branches of the the same Chain/Franchise. The Agent in AACo had recommended the other to us when we wanted to look in Frederick because he didn't know that area well.

The parts of those counties listed cross between both Baltimore and DC. I work in IT (currently in downtown Baltimore) but want to make sure I'm commutable to DC/Northern Virginia if it ever becomes necessary since that is where the majority of the IT jobs are in this area. Yes, I realize that would be a bad commute but I've done it before.

The realtor we were working with previously wouldn't even come out to our home (in Columbia) to help us decide whether we'd like to make it a rental property or sell it. He was only interested in working with us as a buyer's agent and cared very little about the selling side...that won't work for us.

At this point I'm pretty sure we're going to rent the home out but we'd still like the agent's help with that.

I appreciate the tip on using multiple agents. I was under the impression that the agents wouldn't be pleased we went that route but if it the best route to go given the circumstances then that is what we will do.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,227 times
They won't be pleased at all if you opt to go that route. I would make that explicitly clear with your agents if that is what you choose to do. Most now request an exclusive representation contract just so this doesn't happen.

I would be rather surprised if you could find someone that specializes in all of those areas. I felt like a fish out of water when I was selling in Howard County because my area of expertise is in the City.

Some agents would only prefer to work with buyers and some only with sellers. Just is what it is. I can refer you to an excellent colleague of mine that is based out of Columbia. She works with the Craig Northrup group. PM me if you would like her contact info.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
They won't be pleased at all if you opt to go that route. I would make that explicitly clear with your agents if that is what you choose to do. Most now request an exclusive representation contract just so this doesn't happen.

I would be rather surprised if you could find someone that specializes in all of those areas. I felt like a fish out of water when I was selling in Howard County because my area of expertise is in the City.

Some agents would only prefer to work with buyers and some only with sellers. Just is what it is. I can refer you to an excellent colleague of mine that is based out of Columbia. She works with the Craig Northrup group. PM me if you would like her contact info.

We reached out to the Northrup team at one point in time but the guy that came by our house was rude and left us with a bad feeling. However, I'm sure the Northrup team is huge so one bad agent doesn't deem the entire agency as bad.

I'll reach out to you.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:08 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post

I never suggest doing it behind their backs. In my case they were the ones who pointed us to the second agent (The third in Carroll County was an old Family Acquatance). If an agent didn't want to extend into an area you want to look at I would hope they would help you find an associate they could recommend who would know the other area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland