Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:02 PM

5 posts, read 7,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
I don't live in Maryland, but know of several certified coders where I work. It's really tough to get started, but keep applying and don't give up. Don't know how long it's been since you graduated, but it may take some time. Also network with your local/national AHIMA and AAPC chapters/associations, and follow their forums. Good luck to you.

Thank you so Much for your post. I will keep trying. I plan to go to my first chapter meeting soon. I already RSVP. I just want to get started in my career. I am so excited to start. I want to prove myself to them. I love doing this career! I think about how someone once told me "If like what you do, you never have to work a day in your life." I want that chance... Again Thank you for the encouragement I needed it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 09:26 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,177,454 times
I feel for you. I was in your shoes several years ago, although in another field. I can't express enough the importance of networking and keeping in touch with others. Also, you might want to consider a medical records clerk position (preferably in a hospital/large clinic ... more exposure) until you land that billing/coding job. It's most closely related to your field and will look good on your resume. Doesn't seem fair after all that training, but it's the way it is with some of these professions. I'm sure you'll get valuable info/tips at the chapter meetings. There's a big demand for experienced certified coders, nationwide.

Last edited by smpliving; 05-04-2013 at 10:03 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 04:26 AM

16,181 posts, read 10,323,045 times
My wife was in the same situation and you are right, it has nothing to do with the school stealing your money and everything to do with the job market. This is hardly unique to medical coding, it happens in all fields. My wife found out the exact same thing, the local hospital told her to work in a Dr. office for 2 years and then come see her. Of course a Dr office job is not only difficult to obtain but it pays $8 per hour. She also found that her bad back would not allow her to sit at a terminal all day so she went in a different direction.

Some of the suggestions here are good ones: network and temp services. Good luck my friend, you'll make it.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 876 times
Default Medical Coding Job Without Medical Coding Job Experience

I, too, graduated virtually at the top of my class (3.8 out of 4.0) with a medical coding certificate from a career-training school that has since closed its doors here. I, too, wore the rose-colored glasses that I would have a new job in no time. After all, I had excellent grades. But I didn't have any experience. They don't mention that little detail when they tell you how great their course is. They didn't even talk about becoming certified.

I have applied to every coding position that became available in my area. I have applied for medical receptionist, medical office manager, ward secretary, and other types of medical positions. I have many years of office administration experience. I have even applied to work in the cafeteria at the local hospital, all to no avail.

My guess is that the old axiom of "It's not what you know but who you know" is what will get you a job. And you may still have to resort to bribery even then!

I have virtually given up hope of ever working in medical coding even though I think it would be the perfect job for me. I don't have about $500 to throw away on a refresher course and the CCS exam. I think a sales course would serve me better. I also have many years of experience in sales and just need to find the right product to sell. I'd like to be able to sell something online and make enough money to live. Selling timeshare vacation packages just does not make it any more! (I live in Orlando, Florida, and timeshare is very big here.) Does anyone have any ideas as to what would be good to sell online and be able earn enough to live on?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 PM

13,361 posts, read 26,911,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessroars6177 View Post
Does anyone have any ideas as to what would be good to sell online and be able earn enough to live on?
Health insurance. I had one neighbor who made a living with internet contacts. He found insurance plans for people who did not insurance through a job.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBC2013 View Post
I just graduated in top of my class with several Academic Excellence Awards. I took a mock CPC Exam and got a 91% . I have been in Health care as a CNA for over six years! I look for jobs in Maryland and every one states I need at least One to two years Experience in medical office. I have training in office work through a supervising job. All of this is not good enough for them! I still get turned down. How on God's green Earth do I get the experience if you will not Hire me and train me!!!!! I would love to know the answer to this! You have to train the new college graduates in order for them to get the hands on experience! Come ON!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally understand how you feel im not a college graduate in medical billing but I took a certificate program, and no one would hire me, until I applied at one place for so long she called me in to interview and said you must really want to work here your hired, and I was hired with no experience. So you just have to keep trying and dont take no for an answer.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:34 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBC2013 View Post
I have an excellent school. We work together at finding placement with a job in Maryland. The problem is that to get my foot in the door I may need to start off as a Medical Receptionist or In Medical Records, so that I can gain experience in this field I have went to school for. I will be taking my CPC exam coming up in May. When I get my license I can apply for Medical Billing and Coding jobs. The problem is everyone wants one to two years experience in Medical office. I have experience in the health care field as a CNA in nursing homes, Home care, agencies that sent me where ever i was needed. I also have experience in office as a supervisor so I am familiar with how things are done. No one wants to take the time to hire me and train me hands on! My question is how can you expect a college graduate get the hands on experience if you do not hire them and train them! Thank you for your reply though!
Have they told you that you aren't qualified enough because of lack of experience? What gives you the impression that your lack of experience is the reason they aren't interested in you?

Based on what you've told us, you have the requisite experience in a medical field to qualify for the medical office component of the job requirements. It can't be that different working in an office compared to your experience as a CNA.

So the question begs....is it your lack of experience, or is it something else that keeps them from hiring you? What have they said to you to specifically?

Old 11-14-2014, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 510 times
My first job was actually a volunteer job I did for about a few months to get experience. Once I had that experience it was much easier to get hired at a real job. Good luck, I found some tips here [url]http://healthcareerexplorer.com/medical-billing-and-coding/[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland