Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times

Advertisements

I'm not opposed to low taxes and less services if those services arent entirely necessary. For example we do NOT need the Red Line and do not need to send illegal aliens to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
This WaPo article makes an irregular appearance on this board, but I felt it prudent that everyone reads it. When I lived in Alexandria VA, my taxes were substantially less than what I currently pay in PG MD, and this article simply affirms it with empirical data.

Who Pays More Taxes? Virginia, Maryland or D.C.? - Raw Fisher
That article is 5 years old. Since then I am sure Maryland has increased their taxes far more than the other jurisdictions.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 AM

18 posts, read 21,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
That article is 5 years old. Since then I am sure Maryland has increased their taxes far more than the other jurisdictions.
Are taxes really lower in Fairfax county or Arlington county or the independent cities in VA vs pg or Montgomery county?

I really couldn't imagine VA being cheaper until you get out of the DC sprawl (beyond fredericksburg and beyond haymarket)

Old 04-29-2013, 11:05 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex2121 View Post
Are taxes really lower in Fairfax county or Arlington county or the independent cities in VA vs pg or Montgomery county?

I really couldn't imagine VA being cheaper until you get out of the DC sprawl (beyond fredericksburg and beyond haymarket)
Depending on the county you live in, you pay taxes based on what you own rather than what you earn like in MD. The car tax will be high at first but depending on the car it depreciates over time along with the value of the car

Old 04-29-2013, 01:07 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex2121 View Post

Yes they are infact cheaper, even with car tax. The Maryland propaganda machine has been on overdrive for years now, VA has lower taxes, Cost of Living is higher sure, but the TAXES are lower -- even with car tax.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Virginia's car tax was high when I moved here from Maryland to VA in 1988. Not anymore. The car tax has been reduced substantially sense then.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:38 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And prime beef costs more per pound than the burgers sold by Murrays.
Did you have some actual or larger point?

er... 12th at 10.2% with the national mean at 9.9%. (link)

Louisiana comes in 47th place with a 7.8% rate.
Wanna trade with them to save that 2.4%?
I have already provided a link showing Maryland as the 4th highest state in terms of taxes paid. That is my point and it obviously means a lot to most of us even if it doesn't seem to bother you. Here is another link from a different source that also shows Maryland with the same pathetic ranking.

Tax rates: Where does your state rank? - Apr. 14, 2009

As a lifelong resident I love the state of Maryland and I'm proud to call it home.. But I'm not ready to say that Maryland is prime beef and states like some near the bottom of the rankings such as New Mexico, Tennessee or Wyoming are Murray's Beef. That's a pretty elitest attitude from someone who calls himself Rational if you ask me.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:52 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have already provided a link showing Maryland as the 4th highest state in terms of taxes paid.
That is my point...
And I showed another (actually independent source) link with different numbers.
I'll stick with my numbers.

Quote:
But I'm not ready to say that Maryland is prime beef...
OK. Feel free to furnish any analogy if you like.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:25 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm not opposed to low taxes and less services if those services arent entirely necessary. For example we do NOT need the Red Line and do not need to send illegal aliens to school.
Well, you don't need the Red Line and the State wants the tax[es] and jobs that will come from the Dream Act. Most people, even those "tax lovin' Liberals ()" are not opposed to lower taxes if it meant the removal of services that are not necessary. That is a no brainer. However, get two people together and they will argue over which is necessary and which is not until they are old an grey.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:29 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And I showed another (actually independent source) link with different numbers.
I'll stick with my numbers.

OK. Feel free to furnish any analogy if you like.
You use the link that fits your argument and dismiss the 2 that I post. Come on now. How many more do I need to provide anyway?

Here's one from MSN got us 5th http://money.msn.com/taxes/5-highest...ates-for-taxes

Another that has MD 5th. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pf_article_113611.html

As for the 2nd part I'm just not ready to proclaim Maryland as so much better than New Mexico etc that it's like prime beef vs. Murray's burger. I'm not making another analogy becuse it's a silly argument. Who is to say which state is better? Certainly not you.

And I am not ready to claim that I'm fine with paying a much higher tax rate than the residents in those states just for the privelege of staying in my home state.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 04-29-2013 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland