Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:21 AM

37 posts, read 202,818 times

Advertisements

I've seen other threads about how there's lack of culture in some of the cities on Eastern shore. I'm not sure what "culture" entails. But I'm wondering if it has anything to do with diversity.

I'm from the DC area and am looking for a more laid-back lifestyle to as far as living and raising kids. I know in the DC area there's more diversity. If I move to Eastern Shore, will it be a culture shock?

Also, if I raise kids in any of the towns in Queen Anne's County (Queenstown, Centerville, etc..) or Talbot County (Easton), will they grow up with kids with different ethnicities?

I know I sound naive asking these questions, but if anyone has answers, I'd be happy to hear them. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 10:53 AM

262 posts, read 2,022,379 times
If it is diversity you are asking about, the more "built-up" areas of Talbot County such as Easton and St. Michaels are generally more mixed from a racial and ethnic perspective. But, it's mostly black and white, there is a very low Asian or Hispanic population, even in Easton. Queen Anne's County & Kent County are more predominantly white. The lower shore (Dorchester, Wicomico, Somerset Co.) has a much higher African American population.

Talbot County is the best from a cultural perspective - just walk around downtown Easton or St. Michaels. Great restaurants, great sailing, quaint shops, lots to do - it is not quite Annapolis or DC, but the area has enough to keep you busy.

It definitely is a culture shock - for the better, in my opinion. It is much more laid-back, as you mentioned, there is less traffic and crime, and without making a value judgment, people are just nicer. That goes for white & black areas as well. Compare Cambridge (Eastern Shore) and Laurel (PG County), two areas that are pretty much an equal mix of black and white and similar in population. Cambridge hasn't had a homicide in years, they just put in the great Hyatt Regency w/ River Marsh golf course, and you can get a new construction home for under $350K. If you can find employment on the Eastern Shore, in Annapolis, or in Dover, DE - go for it!!! You will love it, guaranteed.

Bythe way, I'm not trying to sell you on Cambridge based on my post, I actually greatly prefer Queen Anne & Talbot Counties. Just wanted to give a "slightly" better comparison to the DC area from a diversity perspective.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:58 AM

Thanks pkoons for your honest and prompt feedback. Would you happen to know about the quality of the public schools (k-12) in Queen Anne's or Talbot? How do they stack up against the schools in Montgomery Co, Anne Arundel Co or Howard Co?

Old 10-20-2006, 07:46 AM

20 posts, read 147,476 times
Hi.

I grew up in Queen Anne's County (Centreville) and YES the Eastern Shore will be a HUGE culture shock to you. That said, if you want a slower pace, nicer folks, less pollution and less traffic (aside from rt. 50 in the summer) then it's a great place to consider.

I have a sister who lives in Easton, Md (Talbot Co) and an aunt who lives in Oxford, Md (also Talbot). My aunt and her husband lived in DC for 20 years before she convinced him to move to the shore (she's a Shore native who grew up in Chestertown, Md and he's from NYC). They absolutely LOVE Oxford. They are involved in the community, have made true friends, love their neighbors, and feel it is the best decision they ever made. Talbot county has the most to offer in terms of culture, restaurants, shops, museums, etc. Not to mention the fact that parts of the county are just visually stunning with the proximity to the bay and its tributaries.

The public schools in Talbot and Queen Anne's are all right. There are some good private schools (the route my sister chose for her kids' education).

But truthfully, I'm a product of Eastern Shore public schools and I don't feel like I was denied a good education. I would send my own kids there in a minute if I could drag my husband out of the hellish pit that is NoVa.

Hope this helps. Consider carefully and do your homework... A life on the shore isn't for everyone. It's certainly a lifestyle change.

K

Old 10-21-2006, 08:05 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatOne View Post
I have a sister who lives in Easton, Md (Talbot Co) and an aunt who lives in Oxford, Md (also Talbot).
Oxford, MD is home to a beautiful B&B called the Robert Morris Inn. THE BEST crabcakes I have ever had in my life are to be found there. They even have an eggs benedict with crabcakes on their breakfast menu. Heavenly... Oxford is a lovely little town, very peaceful.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Oxford, MD is home to a beautiful B&B called the Robert Morris Inn. THE BEST crabcakes I have ever had in my life are to be found there. They even have an eggs benedict with crabcakes on their breakfast menu. Heavenly... Oxford is a lovely little town, very peaceful.
Thanks Adream. I'll give Oxford some thought. I have been there on the way to Ocean City, as a pit stop. I had eaten in the Robert Morris Inn and loved it. The crabcakes are out of this world- better than any place I've been to on the mainland. I walked around town that and the people were nice and friendly, I almost didn't want to go to Ocean City

Old 10-28-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatOne View Post
....But truthfully, I'm a product of Eastern Shore public schools and I don't feel like I was denied a good education. I would send my own kids there in a minute if I could drag my husband out of the hellish pit that is NoVa.
I'm from NoVA and lived in Arlington the first 18 years of my life. But there's so much development there, it's like a mini NYC. I don't even recognize the place anymore. But all of NoVA is sprawl, sprawl and more sprawl. More people are drawn to DC and it's suburbs before the roads can be widened or the subway can be expanded. I never want to move back to NoVA again. My parents live there and I'm trying to get them out of there.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:25 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
I lived in Centreville for 3 years and would not go back there. I did however like Chestertown and Easton. They had charm and character, more choices as far as stores and restaurants go and a more diverse population, by that I mean, a variety of political viewpoints etc. - not a majority of white republicans, LOL. Good luck to you!!!

Old 12-19-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I lived in Centreville for 3 years and would not go back there. I did however like Chestertown and Easton. They had charm and character, more choices as far as stores and restaurants go and a more diverse population, by that I mean, a variety of political viewpoints etc. - not a majority of white republicans, LOL. Good luck to you!!!
Katzenfreund:

Can you tell me about Centreville and what would not want to make you go back there? Please also tell me more about Chestertown and Easton- what you liked about those two towns. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:22 PM

I truly appreciate everyone's comments in this thread. Can anyone comment on how much development is happening in the Centreville, Queenstown, Easton areas? A lot of strip malls, single family homes, Walmarts popping up? Can you get homes custom built? Is there lots of land left? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland