Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:56 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAWEED View Post
@Goldenage, yes I am only 44 so that is good to know. I would feel better if I could get my mother into a 55Plus community so she will have some friends etc. Are there any that stand out above the rest?
Of course everyone's need differ and much depends on your budget. Generally, lower Delaware is less expensive than Maryland. I like KHov's Longacre Village near Dover, DE because I could walk to a library, and drive to a year-round swimming pool. Townhouses start about $180,000.

I also liked Symphony Village near Centreville, Maryland. The homes are lovely, but rather expensive. (New homes are $282,000 to about $417,000.) There is also the Chesapeake at Easton Club East in Easton. It started as a Del Webb community. It was fairly expensive, but there are currently only resale homes available. I have also seen less expensive 55+ homes in Easton, and perhaps a Realtor could help.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-05-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 02:49 PM

46 posts, read 104,214 times
There seems to be some decent rentals around, focusing on the Easton, Camridge area , I think, if I can get my darned credential done in time, stupid VirginiaDOE has screwed up royally, I am so p.o ed! grrr One can only hope the ineptitude level in MD.does not compare with this state

Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAWEED View Post
There seems to be some decent rentals around, focusing on the Easton, Camridge area , I think, if I can get my darned credential done in time, stupid VirginiaDOE has screwed up royally, I am so p.o ed! grrr One can only hope the ineptitude level in MD.does not compare with this state
You may be disappointed. It took Mrs. NBP ten (10) years to transfer her PA Cert in Library Science to MD. They didn't understand that Library Science in PA was Library and Media in MD.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:39 PM

Omgosh, that is a little bit crazy. I finally got mine sorted, but it
has taken an extra three weeks. Hopefully it will go a little smoother, sometimes it feels like we are stuck in a Kafka story

Old 05-08-2013, 02:54 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,038 times
SEAWEED, did you take your name from the character in the movie(s) "HAIRSPRAY"?

Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM

nope, is there a character named that ? LoL , have to watch, no just a nickname because I grew up surfing and would never come out of the water when I was little

Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 AM

OK I have had interviews in St. Michaels and in Somerset County. Assuming I get ANY job offer , no less two, but if I get a choice, which does forum think would be the best fit? I love the Ocean, but it is not a super long drive from S.M and probably less storm issues? St. M's seems a little more cosmopolitan but could just be the tourist's influence. I am sure Salisbury has lots of amenities etc. Pros and Cons??? Thanks!!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:34 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
I have only been to St. Michael's as a visitor. It is lovely, but I think the attractions would wear thin quickly. Salisbury probably has more to offer, as long as you find a safe place to live. (Sorry, I don't know Salisbury at all.)

Old 06-27-2013, 01:50 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Salisbury isn't Somerset County, it is Wicomico. I can't speak for the school system in Somerset or Talbot Counties, but I can say that Somerset is a much poorer place on the whole than Talbot, and that normally is reflected in the how well the public school systems function.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:52 PM

Hi I know Salisbury is in Wicomico but the distances are negligible. I am trying to find out more about housing, things to do etc. What the communities are like. Golden age, I think you are right, Salisbury is probably a more livable place, especially with needing some decent medical facilities. Easton seems to be much larger but I know little about it either, just the few times I have been there for interviews and such. Talbot pays much more and it may come down to that. So , both have about equal pros and cons so far. It does seem like Talbot is too close to the bridge, meaning, it might be less self -sufficient a place than Salisbury area, and i sure don't want to cross that bridge for every little thing! Of course this is all just speculation at this point, just trying to be prepared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland