Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,525 times

Advertisements

I lived in Salisbury for about a year before moving to Dayton. I move back to the eastern shore in a couple of weeks.

In Salisbury, I lived at Tide Mill apartments off Beaglin Park Rd. I'm not inclined to move back to the same area since that was way too quiet for me. I did appreciate the safety though.

Here in Dayton, I live in a loft community downtown. I'm 27 and I'd like to be around people my age (man, am I asking for the impossible!) preferably in a loft-like community. I like the Market Street Inn area a lot but I'm not sure how safe that neighborhood is and neither have I found rental listings in that area bar a couple of expensive propositions. I'm not a US citizen and will be in the area for another year.

Given my situation and my preferences, what do you recommend? All responses are appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,472 times
Default Have you moved?

Hi there - have you moved to Salisbury yet? If so, where did you choose to rent?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:19 PM

211 posts, read 544,372 times
Hello,
My daughter and I are going to see a friend that lives in Berlin Maryland and we will be going to
Salisbury. What is it like there? We live in Irvine California, really nice area.
Any info would be appreciated.
thanks

Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 PM

58 posts, read 264,939 times
There are nice parts of Salisbury. There are bad parts. Are you staying in Salisbury? Would not go anywhere in the downtown area at night.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:53 AM

168 posts, read 672,125 times
The downtown area isnt the only area to avoid. The recent gas station armed robberies and homicide have been occurring all over town. Out of 741 cities the same size as Salisbury its the 9th most dangerous. My wife and I make it a point to not go into Salisbury at night. You need to be careful here. IMHO the entire area is incredibly overrated.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:21 AM

7 posts, read 16,665 times
Hello All!

I am starting a nursing grad program as Salisbury University in August. I am in another state and looking for housing and I hope that any of you could guide me on the neighborhoods.

I currently live in Charleston, SC. Here, there are very dangerous ghetto areas within the city and north of the city. Since downtown is so small the bad areas are near the colleges, so a lot of kids end up living in the cheap or (newly gentrified) housing. I know women who have been assaulted and several men and women that have been mugged. There is a park I drive by on my way to school and locals call it the "rape and kill park" due to the high number of incidences. Nothing has ever happened to me. I never walk near those areas on purpose. Once the cops closed off our school entrance and none of us could leave the parking lot because there was a huge drug raid/potential shootout nearby. I went to Trident Tech for a year for nursing prereqs. I had to drive through the bad areas on my way to school and I would always keep my windows up and doors locked. And I don't think I was being overly cautious. I also never go to Folly Beach at night alone, a woman I know was raped on the beach last summer by someone who followed her. I have also lived in Rio de Janeiro, and I avoided the bad spots and nothing ever happened to me. But many locals had MANY CRAZY things happen to them, maybe they just got too comfortable...except in the case where a woman was at a stoplight, her windows up, her doors locked, and two guys on a motorcycle drove by, saw her purse on the passenger seat, broke her window with a baseball bat and tried to run off with it!! That is why our car windows were tinted pitch black, but even then we kept our purses in the trunk, and would not use our laptops in the car on road trips. We know people who have been kidnapped, mugged, shot at, house invaded, and so people end up sending their children to school with body guards in armored cars, so the children are not associated with their wealthy parents and ransomed. And I wonder why my family chose to have Christmas and NYE there again this coming winter!!!

Anyway, I am looking for an area in Salisbury that I can jog in the neighborhood during the daytime, that is close to the university, and that is clean, quiet, safe. I found some places on Aspen Drive, South Pinehurst Ave, Fruitland (new housing developments) and I am wondering about Brittingham Square, they are doing a lot of advertising. I am willing to pay between $1000-1200 for a 2 or 3 bedroom house (I am going to have one roommate). I hope that price range will get me into a nice area.

I hope to hear from someone soon!!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:07 AM

138 posts, read 786,679 times
I've lived here for about ten years and it has A LOT of crime for the size of the area.

Personally, I've had my car broken into twice and my house broken into once, and I live in a nice neighborhood, in town.

Cailifronia Girl ... S. Pinehurst in Fruitland? I'm not familiar with that area. I know of S. Pinehurst in Salisbury - that is my basic neighborhood. It's generally a nice area but you still need to be aware of your surroundings here. Don't jog at night. Alter your daily routine, etc.

In my opinion, the only reason to live here is to be near the beach. Other than that, it doesn't offer much.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 AM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
Why is Salisbury suffering from high crime? I have not been to Salisbury in decades. Was it the economy?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 PM

7 posts, read 16,665 times
Hi Mdswines,
those are all different locations. Aspen Drive, South Pinehurst Ave, Fruitland
Thank you for your help. There is also a place between Smith St and Pinehurst neighborhoods, I checked the Salisbury police department website and those areas looked like they were lower in crime.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:21 PM

138 posts, read 786,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Girl 623 View Post
Hi Mdswines,
those are all different locations. Aspen Drive, South Pinehurst Ave, Fruitland
Thank you for your help. There is also a place between Smith St and Pinehurst neighborhoods, I checked the Salisbury police department website and those areas looked like they were lower in crime.
I don't know where Aspen Drive is. Fruitland could be ok.

I'm very familiar of that area of Salisbury. If you want to ask about a specific street, or even a specific address, PM me and I'll let you know. It's generally a good area but it still has a few pockets that are best avoided, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland