Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:46 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,395,161 times

Advertisements

Yeah Columbia was going to be my suggestion as well. Nice area, halfway between the 2 and if there are buses to Hopkins, there you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 06:17 AM

10 posts, read 21,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah not sure why Mr. Irrational is so nasty here but this is not the first time. He also stated that it's impossible to find an apartment for 1,300 and that's nonsense. What he was saying is to decide to live in either Baltimore or College Park so one of you will be able to bike to work. What that means is the other will be making a 35 minute commute each way as that's how far apart they are.

The problem you have, as you have found out, is there is really no great public transportation between the 2. So yeah his suggestion of one or the other is not a bad one. While College Park is relatively safe it's not what I'd call real nice. I'd steer away from New Carolton or any other area over in that direction I can't really help you on the safe neighborhoods in Balt but I believe the Hopkins area is not the greatest but I could be wrong.

Good luck
Thanks DaveinMtAiry for the suggestion. You are right about Baltimore and College Park, both places may not be considered nice places to live. However, College park is indeed better than Baltimore as far as I have heard.

I can understand the point you made and also made by MrRational that It makes sense to live at some interesting place and travel a bit for work. But as of now I do not have a driving license and it make take few months to get one. So I need to rely on public transport for few months. I was thinking to get a house for few months in New Carrollton. However, the apartments I have looked there (e.g. Sutton walk), can only be rented for minimum 6 months with extra rent of $200/month .

Is New Carrollton a better place compared to College Park and other near by areas?

if so it makes sense to live there.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If they are serious about living in between both jobs, I'd check Columbia. There are buses to the Johns Hopkins area, and it's possible to get by bus from Columbia, and transfer somewhere by bus to College Park. Check out MTA Maryland for bus and train routes. However, if would be much fast to go by car from Columbia to College Park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah Columbia was going to be my suggestion as well. Nice area, halfway between the 2 and if there are buses to Hopkins, there you go.
I will check the Columbia, did know about this place. Thanks,

Old 07-12-2013, 06:53 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanotimer View Post
Is New Carrollton a better place compared to College Park and other near by areas?
No. I'd recommend College Park any day. (Check the crime rates near any apartment.)

Old 07-12-2013, 09:31 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Default challenging assumptions

Quote:
But as of now I do not have a driving license and it make take few months to get one.
Wherever you may live you will find not having a car to be problematic.
The household will need at least one.

It doesn't need to take more than a few days to get a license.
Maryland online test tutorial: LINK

If you live near JHU... then only your UMCP going friend needs a car regularly.

Neighborhoods within walking distance of JHU:
Hampden, Baltimore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Remington, Baltimore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Charles Village, Baltimore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 PM

148 posts, read 242,484 times
Can you get an International drivers license between now and Sept? Then you can change it easier when you get here. I would not want to depend on public transportation to get me anywhere around here. I'd also look at closer to College Park. Hopkins is in the middle of some rough areas. ( I'm being kind ) Columbia is a little nicer than Laurel, but it costs more and is further away.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
Can you get an International drivers license between now and Sept? Then you can change it easier when you get here. I would not want to depend on public transportation to get me anywhere around here. I'd also look at closer to College Park. Hopkins is in the middle of some rough areas. ( I'm being kind ) Columbia is a little nicer than Laurel, but it costs more and is further away.
I will definitely get a licence but just need some place temporally for 2-3 months. how about Odenton, is that place ok to live?

Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I will definitely get a licence but just need some place temporally for 2-3 months. how about Odenton, is that place ok to live?
Absolutely, Odenton is thriving. But expect higher rents, as the military is transferring in many people in their base re-alignment (BRAC) plans.

For only 2-3 months I would check Craigslist for a room-mate situation. There are short-stay hotels but they are very expensive.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I am from London and going to join John Hopkins University, Baltimore from this September onwards.
Are you going to be at the Medical campus or the undergraduate campus in the Homewood area?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Are you going to be at the Medical campus or the undergraduate campus in the Homewood area?
near Homewood area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland