Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:13 PM

814 posts, read 1,142,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
I have traveled pretty extensively in Maryland and have found very little to like. It's not a pretty state, it's not a polite state and it's not a very livable state.
Never having been a resident, I can't speak as much to the last two (though I've never had an issue with politeness), but you've got very high standards for beauty if you've ever gotten off the highways in Maryland and still don't consider it a pretty state. For the past three years, my work has required me to cover practically every inch of the state, and even now I'm still always discovering a new, visually pleasing nook or cranny.

And all of that within a stone's throw of top-notch urban experience. The geographic diversity within such a relatively small area is outstanding, and is what makes Maryland a great place, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,760,771 times
If there is anything that has made the state go down, it is and will be, the politics and its leaders who are currently ruining the state tax after tax, stupid law after another.

California has come to Maryland. In the worst way possible.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:52 AM

27,241 posts, read 28,308,556 times
Maryland is not a very "livable" state - and yet 5.9 million people live in Maryland and it is the state with the highest median income.

Hmm...

Old 09-06-2013, 12:23 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,055,706 times
Quote:
I have traveled pretty extensively in Maryland and have found very little to like. It's not a pretty state, it's not a polite state and it's not a very livable state.

Oh, Assateague is amazing. I'll give you that. I camp on the dunes there every year.
I must take exception to your assertion that Maryland is not a pretty state. I dare say that Maryland is one of the most beautiful states to experience, especially during the autumn. When the leaves start to change colors, it is a truly magnificent sight that actually lasts, at least, a good 2 months.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:09 PM

27,241 posts, read 28,308,556 times
Maryland, a pretty state? Nah ... it couldn't be. :-)

Old 09-06-2013, 03:37 PM

544 posts, read 1,043,521 times
Let me add another thing on the list of dislikes: highly defensive.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:04 PM

44,888 posts, read 59,882,454 times
Quote:
What do you mean by that??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:27 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,242,517 times
Quote:
What exactly did you expect when you make the comments you did on a Maryland board? I suggest you head to a book club and claim that reading books is a waste of time and judge for yourself the results.

I get it, everyone's entitled to their opinion. But face it, your opinion is just not shared by many or backed by evidence. I hesitate to say it's wrong because an opinion can not be wrong. I'll just say it's...it's.....Hell it's wrong.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:28 AM

169 posts, read 826,645 times
Pros: None

Cons: Everything :P

Old 09-14-2013, 09:20 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,720,390 times
This list could apply to Northern Virginia as well but here are my pros and cons.

PROS:
Lot's of stuff to do nearby (easy access to Philly, NYC, DC, Baltimore, Assateague Island, Frederick, Gettysburg, etc)
Quality of the education system
Four seasons climate
DC Metro and other public transit such as the Baltimore Light Rail and the MARC.
Relatively easy to travel to other countries/places with BWI, National, and Dulles.
Lack of bible thumping religious conservatives in comparison with other areas.
Ethnically diverse population

CONS:
Traffic
Too many "Type A" personalities and stuck up people
Cost of living is pretty high although the high salaries tend to make up for it somewhat.
The huge federal government presence
Liquor Stores (Why can't they sell beer and wine in supermarkets and gas stations like what nearly every other state does such as California and Texas?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland