Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:03 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
would it serve over 1,500 students. would it serve 2000 students? I think this is whats needed to build the school. Of course I haven't been to Crofton in a few years so I'm not sure what expansion has been like. When I was a kid much of Crofton was new and it was a weird little suburb kind of isolated out there near the PG line. But there were a lot of people settling there. I'm sure it needs a high school.
Crofton has a huge building boom as people from PG, moreso Bowie are moving there since their children are now grown and graduated from Bowie HS, or they have children and dont want their children attending Benjamin Tasker or Bowie HS.

Crofton has about 28,000 people from the 2010 Census. Its an estimate 30% are under 18. With the builing of homes near Waugh Chapel, and outside the triangle, Im sure there would be enough to have a school HS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochip21 View Post
Even though Glen Burnie isn't the oldest school in the county, it still has the oldest BUILDING(s) in the county. The newest building was built in the late 70's. They need to tear down Glen Burnie, and build it in one whole building. The building isn't even handicap accessible, and handicap students there are bused to North County and Old Mill High School's. They have to wake up earlier. All these schools in other counties are getting re-constructed, but Anne Arundel high school's are really old. Even PG's schools look nicer. Glen Burnie, Arundel, and Severna Park need to be re-built. But more than anything, Glen Burnie does. Arundel and Severna Park are handicap accessible, while Glen Burnie isn't. The only new buildings in the county are North County and Broadneck. Severna Park's building is the third oldest.
I thought North East in Pasadena just opened with a new facility this school year or in 2012??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 08:18 PM

103 posts, read 286,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Crofton has a huge building boom as people from PG, moreso Bowie are moving there since their children are now grown and graduated from Bowie HS, or they have children and dont want their children attending Benjamin Tasker or Bowie HS.

Crofton has about 28,000 people from the 2010 Census. Its an estimate 30% are under 18. With the builing of homes near Waugh Chapel, and outside the triangle, Im sure there would be enough to have a school HS.

I thought North East in Pasadena just opened with a new facility this school year or in 2012??
Oh, sorry, true. But still, North County and Northeast are only partially new. Broadneck is the only completely new building in the county. Howard schools, Montgomery schools, and even PG schools look way nicer. That's just shameful. Glen Burnie, Arundel, and Severna need to be re-built more than ANY other schools in the county. Arundel's current building was built in 1949. Severna Park, 1959. And Glen Burnie's first building, 1939. That's just shameful and almost worse than the Baltimore City schools buildings'. They expanded Northeast because their building was among the smallest in the county, and Northeast was starting to get more crowded. I think the bigger schools in the county are Glen Burnie, North County, Arundel and Broadneck (building wise). They should slowly start out by tearing down the buildings at Glen Burnie one by one, and start rebuilding the new school in it's place. Since Glen Burnie is 6 different buildings, it should be easier to replace. The fact that Glen Burnie isn't handicap accessible is absolutely horrid.

And I heard Crofton has been trying to get a high school for ages. I can't believe they still don't have one. I too think Crofton needs a high school.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 PM

411 posts, read 900,991 times
Broadneck was built in 1980/81. They have made additions around the school, completely engulfing the building I attended. However, most of that building is not new as it was built 32 years ago.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:40 AM

503 posts, read 806,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyTevis View Post
Howard schools, Montgomery schools, and even PG schools look way nicer.
I can assure you that is not true. The new PG schools are being destroyed by their inmates at an astonishing rate. Couple that with the **** poor construction and horrible maintenance and you've got buildings that will need another total refit in 10 years.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
Broadneck was built in 1980/81. They have made additions around the school, completely engulfing the building I attended. However, most of that building is not new as it was built 32 years ago.
Not totally true. While a substantial part of the original shell of the structure does exist, nearly every part of the interior of the building has been moved around and reconfigured over the years.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:21 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
I can assure you that is not true. The new PG schools are being destroyed by their inmates at an astonishing rate. Couple that with the **** poor construction and horrible maintenance and you've got buildings that will need another total refit in 10 years.
And I can assure you this is not true. Flowers & Northwestern still look GREAT after being built 10+ years go. Bladensburg looks good also and they are coming up on year 8 or 9 now.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Yeah, I saw. But that's only one site. Most of the sites I went to ranked Arundel higher, including Newsweek. I still think South River is very swell, and doesn't have that many "thugs."

Anyways, It doesn't really matter about rankings. It doesn't matter about race. North County is 75% white, but that school is still terrible and I would never ever send my kids there. I graduated from North County, and it was the worst four years of my life. Meade High School is a good school, actually. It has an IB program, and has a very diverse student body. The school used to have a bad reputation over a big fight that happened SEVERAL years ago, but now it's gotten better. If my daughter wanted to join IB, I wouldn't hesitate to send her to Meade. I have a friend who lives in Hanover, and her daughter attends Meade, and she loves Meade. She says most of the rumors aren't true, and there are few altercations at the school. EVERY high school has fights. I don't care if it's Arundel, Meade, Broadneck, Severna Park, Bethesda Chevy-Chase, Walt Whitman, they ALL have physical fights EVERY school year more than ONCE. Things like that are going to happen. I'm not saying it's okay. I'm just saying that every school has it's fights. Even private schools have fights. The only bad areas in the Meade district are Pioneer City, and some of Fort Meade. Seven Oaks, Hanover, and Laurel (AA County) are pleasant places. If Pioneer City and that itty bit of Ft. Meade weren't in the district, Meade could actually have potential to be one of the best schools in AA County. If you look at Hanover's charter school on greatschools, "Chesapeake Science Point," ( a school which most Hanover parents send their children), it is rated 10 out of 10 by greatschools themselves.

Also, Arundel is actually very white. the school is 61% white I believe. And that doesn't mean the rest of the students are black. Don't forget to include Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans, etc. A lot of people told me "Arundel is a rich preppy white people school." I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but I hear it has a really good diversity. Money doesn't make a school outstanding either. Also, my daughter just started at Arundel this past Monday, and she absolutely LOVES Arundel. She loves the hour of lunch program, she loves her teachers, and she says the students here are WAY MORE friendly. And like I said, Broadneck had kids on probaton AND house arrest. That doesn't make a school bad. Every school has a few "fools." People are on probation everywhere, even Bethesda schools. Getting in trouble with the law is in the hands of each individual student, not the school.
I agree with you. I did hear another complaint about Arundel very recently, however, referring to the school as "horrible." I didn't get much detail from the person. Who knows? As long as your daughter likes it and thrives, I think it will be fine.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:47 PM

103 posts, read 286,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
Not totally true. While a substantial part of the original shell of the structure does exist, nearly every part of the interior of the building has been moved around and reconfigured over the years.
A very tiny portion of Broadneck's current building is from 1982. Also, 1982 is not old at all. That's actually new for a high school building. Majority of Broadneck was built in 1997.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 PM

411 posts, read 900,991 times
Quote:
A very tiny portion of Broadneck's current building is from 1982. Also, 1982 is not old at all. That's actually new for a high school building. Majority of Broadneck was built in 1997.
I don't know. I think it's more than a "tiny" amount.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
That is simply not true. The majority of what is standing there is the original building...from the front entrance by the auditorium all of the way back to the second courtyard.

The admin wing is "new". The back wing is "new" with another very new addition to the end of that that was paid for by one of the developers in exchange for lifting the building moratorium on the peninsula.

The core of the building is still the same 30 year old shell, though very few things are where they originally were because of renovations within that shell, for instance the old gym being turned into a small gym, dance space and music room.

And there were at least two AACO schools, Brooklyn Park and Andover, that shut down when they were about this age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland