Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 11:09 AM

124 posts, read 242,532 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,

I have lived in NC my whole life. I would have moved out when I was twenty but started a family instead and kinda got stuck so to speak. My son is grown and has started a family of his own. My mother is elderly and soon will have to move in with me because she is going blind. Collectively we have decided to move to a different state...so I'm researching. We wouldn't be moving for a year or two so I have time to look around and make the right decision for all of us.
I am not a big city girl..but I don't want to live in a tiny town either. 70,000 to 100,000 would feel perfect to me. I have been to DC and Baltimore so to be honest Maryland was never a state I considered. Having said that I realize it's because I haven't explored your state. I have only been to the big cities there. I love the ocean..you have that. I like to visit the mountains...you have those...4 seasons...check. I guess what I am here to ask is how does Maryland differ from NC. Politics obviously...which in my opinion is a good thing. Income wise currently we make around $50,000. What is the cost of living like in Maryland compared to NC. We would be renting hopefully a house no more then $1200 a month. Is this realistic? Keep in mind I have no interest in the DC area which I know is expensive. What area should I start looking at? Any suggestions? I want family friendly, safe, affordable for us, good medical care, decent schools etc...all the things most people want. I'm just wondering if we can find this in Maryland. Anybody else on here moved from NC to Maryland? What has your experience been? Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions you may have
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 11:30 AM

7,008 posts, read 11,301,565 times
There aren't any 70-100k cities outside the Washington-Baltimore metro area in Maryland. I think the closest city you will find in that rough range would Frederick, about 45 miles from D.C. and Baltimore. It is on the edge of the D.C. metro area, but right up against the Catoctin mountains and farmland, too.

In general Maryland is an expensive state. I think $1200 would get your something decent in Frederick, but it has been a awhile since I did a price check.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:35 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,243 times
I moved from MD to NC, and it was literally the best thing I ever did in my life except for tricking my wife into marriage (poor thing). To each his own, I guess.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I moved from MD to NC, and it was literally the best thing I ever did in my life except for tricking my wife into marriage (poor thing). To each his own, I guess.
Just out of curiosity what is it that you love so much about NC compared to MD? It will help give me a feel for the differences in the 2 states.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:34 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,243 times
Rather than belabor the point, just let me say that my experience was with the Baltimore area there, and with Eastern NC here, mostly the Raleigh area. Have you been to Charm City and to Raleigh? Quite a difference. Good luck with whatever you decide . . .

Old 09-26-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Rather than belabor the point, just let me say that my experience was with the Baltimore area there, and with Eastern NC here, mostly the Raleigh area. Have you been to Charm City and to Raleigh? Quite a difference. Good luck with whatever you decide . . .
Lol..been to both places..totally understand

Old 09-26-2013, 09:43 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,213 times
NC native, 3 years in MD.

I'm going to say it is not that different, not for what you want. You know how NC has that phenomenon where the politics around the big city are one thing and the politics in the rest of the state are something else entirely? The same thing happens here, it is just the big cities are so big that it is a little less obvious.

The things we like here include the ability to drive to the big city and get the museums/culture/diversity. We like being able to drive other places in the NE corridor quickly. We like the history; there is more than NC and there are more historic sites. The schools are better, but I'm not clear on whether you have children with you.

But mostly it is similar, just with more people. NC likes to pitch itself as having mountains to the sea. MD has that too, though in a very weird shape, and the drive times are similar. The catch is that in MD you have to go a LONG way to avoid the gravitational pull of DC, and even then you find the prices have been pushed up by the DC tourists trying to escape with you.

So it isn't that big a change.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:51 PM

Thank you J_Lurk

Old 09-28-2013, 04:11 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Half way through the opening post Frederick was my answer. The people in NC are friendly and you are not a big city girl. And you are on a budge looking for a medium sized town. The does not sound like a burb of DC or Baltimore, it sounds exactly like Frederick or any of the neighboring towns like Walkersville, New Market etc.

The problem of course is the cost of living, particularly housing. I ran a quick search and under $1,200 looks to be mostly apartments, maybe a few townhomes. But if you can find a home in your budget Frederick and the surrounding area is really pretty awesome.

Homes for Rent in Frederick, MD | Homes.com (Page 2)

Old 09-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Thank you Dave that is very helpful info...I will look into the towns you mentioned. I looked at the housing link and agree that finding a house in our price range may be a challenge. Is the economy strong in that area? I work in healthcare and I'm pretty sure my pay will go up in Maryland compared to NC so that may help with the housing costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland