U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 03:15 PM

33,779 posts, read 22,569,218 times

Advertisements

i just heard on WTOP that anything you buy from Amazon now [as a marylander] will be subject to 6% sales tax, even if it's sent from an out-of-state distributor.

Amazon to build huge distribution center in Southeast Baltimore - Baltimore Sun

Quote:
A new warehouse will also mean that Maryland residents will start paying sales tax on Amazon purchases. Maryland businesses are required to collect a 6 percent sales tax on most goods, but online retailers that do not have a physical presence in the state do not have to collect it. Congress is considering legislation that would close that loophole nationwide.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,532,639 times
These distribution centers will soon be in every state. The era of tax free shopping on Amazon is coming to a close soon anyway.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:34 PM

31,432 posts, read 70,182,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
The era of tax free shopping is coming to a close soon anyway.
It's long overdue.

Hope it works out for the 1000 or so that get hired to work there.
And then for the next 500 or so that get hired the next month or so
to replace half of that first first 1000 or so. And so on...

Old 10-23-2013, 04:35 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,304,855 times
That is what I fear when Amazon announce the distribution center in Baltimore, but it still beat wasting gas and time going to the stores. I have learn to calculate the sales tax in my purchases so I know what the total is in advance.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:19 AM

544 posts, read 942,304 times
While O'Malley and his ilk will no doubt laud this as "job creation", please take a moment to remember that these are barely above minimum wage jobs with little to no benefits and horrendous working conditions:

Brutal Conditions In Amazon's Warehouses - Business Insider

Old 10-24-2013, 12:29 PM

4,475 posts, read 10,332,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
While O'Malley and his ilk will no doubt laud this as "job creation", please take a moment to remember that these are barely above minimum wage jobs with little to no benefits and horrendous working conditions:

Brutal Conditions In Amazon's Warehouses - Business Insider
I know two people who worked at the distribution center in Kansas. Horrible conditions and they only lasted a month or so. Incidentally, they were in great shape, too. I hope that this location is better.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 PM

544 posts, read 942,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I know two people who worked at the distribution center in Kansas. Horrible conditions and they only lasted a month or so. Incidentally, they were in great shape, too. I hope that this location is better.
It won't be. In particular, you should read the story about temp workers collapsing from heat exhaustion, being fired for missing work and then have the temp company that employs everyone try to appeal their unemployment claims. Quality working environment there.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:57 PM

13,304 posts, read 7,412,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
That is what I fear when Amazon announce the distribution center in Baltimore, but it still beat wasting gas and time going to the stores. I have learn to calculate the sales tax in my purchases so I know what the total is in advance.

Just break out a calculator and add 6% to the item cost and that's your sales tax.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:23 PM

31,432 posts, read 70,182,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Just break out a calculator and add 6% to the item cost and that's your sales tax.
and then send it in exactly as you are supposed to have been doing all along.

I'm amazed that this tax collection issue has festered as long as it has.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:10 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,304,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I know how to caculate the sales tax. I forgot to add "ed" at the end of learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland