Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 AM

14 posts, read 45,651 times

Advertisements

Got a speeding ticket in MD (74 on 65, on I95), I understand that MD will report the incident to NJ and i will get a 2 points. Here are my questions
1. Will it be worth to Plead not guilty and get the points removed in MD
2. Agree to a plea deal and remove the point in MD

if the judge (in MD) removes the points or agrees to reduce it to any other type of violation (similar to unsafe driving in NJ which cost a little bit of money but no license points) will MD still report to NJ and will i still get 2 point on my NJ license. Trying to find if it is worth to fight a $90 ticket (if there is any way i will not get the points in NJ i will still prefer to fight the ticket). Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 05:45 PM

18 posts, read 50,497 times
I was in a similar situation, actually still had NJ plates but was in the process of moving to NJ. Don't get me started about the fact that you would never get pulled over in NJ for doing 74 on the TPK or GSP. Ok well maybe if it was the middle of the night on a Friday, but in MD they are just waiting for you to cross the border. 95 through MD is revenue generating.

I assume the court you would have to deal with is the Towson on. If you decide to take it to court, the system really isn't too bad assuming you don't have any points or it has been a little while since your last ticket. In that case the court will let you plead guilty, but the judge will give you Probation Before Judgment (PBJ). In that case you get no points, pay the fine with no extra penalties, and just have to not get another ticket for a year. The only thing I am not 100% sure about if that year means no tickets in MD or no tickets anywhere. In the case you do get a ticket in MD, you will get the new points plus the old ones come back on. The court was pretty quick and the judge was actually pretty nice. So I would say go for it, just sucks because you will have to take a day off to go to court and deal with 95 again But those are the breaks.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:14 PM

14 posts, read 45,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreetingsFromAP View Post
I was in a similar situation, actually still had NJ plates but was in the process of moving to NJ. Don't get me started about the fact that you would never get pulled over in NJ for doing 74 on the TPK or GSP. Ok well maybe if it was the middle of the night on a Friday, but in MD they are just waiting for you to cross the border. 95 through MD is revenue generating.

I assume the court you would have to deal with is the Towson on. If you decide to take it to court, the system really isn't too bad assuming you don't have any points or it has been a little while since your last ticket. In that case the court will let you plead guilty, but the judge will give you Probation Before Judgment (PBJ). In that case you get no points, pay the fine with no extra penalties, and just have to not get another ticket for a year. The only thing I am not 100% sure about if that year means no tickets in MD or no tickets anywhere. In the case you do get a ticket in MD, you will get the new points plus the old ones come back on. The court was pretty quick and the judge was actually pretty nice. So I would say go for it, just sucks because you will have to take a day off to go to court and deal with 95 again But those are the breaks.
Thanks, The court is at Annapolis, I am in MD every week, so it might be worth a try, as long as the point dont show up on my NJ license i am good.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Hell, i'm just glad to know that MD troopers pull people over for 74 in a 65....now I know to slow down some. I've always been of the opinion that below 10 over the speed limit was generally not worth the officer's time to go after.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 PM

18 posts, read 50,497 times
On 95, especially in Cecil county past the Delaware line, there are MD state troopers at many of the crossovers. I guess I was used to NJ where 74 was considered slow. Speaking of slow, MD wrote a ticket to a lady for 63 in a 65 zone. Md. Woman Cited for Driving Too Slowly in Left Lane | NBC4 Washington
Then again, she was in the left lane and I guess that could warrant a ticket in NJ too

Old 11-23-2013, 12:01 PM

318 posts, read 761,923 times
Either pay the ticket or go to court. Doing nothing will suspend your license in NJ since MD and NJ have a reciprocity agreement.

If you go to court you can either plead guilty or not guilty. If you are found guilty, TYPICALLY (cannot guarentee), that the judge will give you probation before judgement (PBJ) and have you pay a fraction of that fine as long as your record is clean. The charge typically will not be amended to another charge and you will not have any points on your record if given a PBJ. Since this is 9 over the limit I think your chances of getting a PBJ are very good.

As far as what it will translate to your NJ driving record, that's something to ask the NJ DMV about.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:47 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
On 95, especially in Cecil county past the Delaware line, there are MD state troopers at many of the crossovers. I guess I was used to NJ where 74 was considered slow. Speaking of slow, MD wrote a ticket to a lady for 63 in a 65 zone. Md. Woman Cited for Driving Too Slowly in Left Lane | NBC4 Washington
Then again, she was in the left lane and I guess that could warrant a ticket in NJ too

It would be interesting to know when these laws came about in Maryland, and why they never informed the public that it was against the law to go too slow in the left lane. Maybe they needed the revenue? Like the police don't have enough work to do already.

When I got my drivers license in MD many years ago, it was made clear to us that MD did not have the same laws about passing in the left lane or driving too slow in the left lane as PA did. In Maryland, one could pass on either side, the left or the right, and if one was going too slow in the left lane, you pass on the right. In Pennsylvania, if one goes too slow in the left lane, they tailgate, flash their high beams, and honk their horn to get them to move over because one must always pass on the left in PA.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:55 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
The ticket was cancelled.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Giving someone for 74 in a 65 is petty. Maybe they were trying to meet their quota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland